Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Brands of SnowPlows

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2002, 05:55 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Which brand of snowplow would you buy? Moose, Warn, and Cycle Country all look like they have some good ones. Warn has 3 different sizes: 48, 54, and 60". Moose has a 50 and 60" size. Cycle Country has 42,48, 50, 52, and 60" sizes. Plus CC has a Plastic Plow in 48 and 60" sizes. I have a large driveway, so I would probably get the 60" blade. I will be buying a Quad in a few months, so I am trying to get some ideas beforehand. I am looking at the Rubicon, Grizzly 660, and the Quest 650. Thanks for any suggestions, and info on these 3 brand of plows.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 05-02-2002, 06:41 AM
Pro Rider

Of the three, I would go with the Moose. Simply because I own one now, and am very satisfied. Moose are just very well built and sturdy plows. The Warn and CC seem to want to emphasize on light weight more than anything. Personally, I want the heavier one. Light blades seem to want to "ride up" on wet and packed snow instead of staying on the ground where you want them.

Old 05-02-2002, 10:35 AM
Pro Rider

I went with a warn I didn't like the mounts on Cycle country they where low and kinda CHEESE for mine.

Old 05-02-2002, 11:20 AM
Trailblazer

I would also recommend the Moose. I bought a 60" Moose for $350 (complete) from my AC dealer, and I installed it on my '02 500i auto. The Moose is extremely well-built. The AC has no problem pushing the snow with this plow, and I can even plow up hills with this thing! Depending on just how much use the plow will see, you may want to check into one of the 'county' style plows. I looked at AC, Warn, Cycle Country and Kimpex plows, and I felt the Moose was superior to all - noticeably much more heavy-duty. I wondered if I should get the 50" or 60" and I am glad I went with the 60". The only thing I would have done different is get the 'county' plow blade. I can clear my 250' driveway in 15 minutes with this plow, it used to take me more than an hour with my Honda snowblower. I use a Warn 2500 winch to raise & lower the blade, and I am happy with this setup; others will say get the 'manual' lift to save your winch. Rubidude was right about lightweight plows 'riding up' on packed snow. Honestly, I hope we get blasted with snow this year, cuz I cant wait to slap that plow on and have fun! BTW, I would say get the Griz (of the 3 that you mentioned), but dont overlook the Arctic Cat models.

Old 05-02-2002, 03:11 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the replies. I think the Moose County plow will be my choice. As for a Quad, I am still doing my research! Although my brother has a Beige Grizzly that he really likes. I will just have to thoroughly check them all out.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 05-02-2002, 05:10 PM
Pro Rider

The County plow is nice, but remember...it's designed to be used in one direction only because of the wing design. It's great for big spaces, but if you think you may have a need to swivel the blade at all, you may want to consider the regular plow.

As for the blade width, any of the machines you mentioned (I personally would recommend the Rubi :-D) will easily handle a 60" blade. The only issue you may need to consider would be whether or not you might need to plow in a more confined area, like sidewalks. In that case, the 50" may work better.

Don't choose a quad because someone you know "has one and likes his". You'd be doing yourself a big favor to get out there and check out all the options. Some ATV's just fit and "feel" better than others. Ergonomics is important if you're going to be spending several hours in the saddle.

Old 05-02-2002, 05:30 PM
Range Rover

my buddy had a cycle country plow on his Honda Foreman S and he beats the heck out of it! they have only had it for one year but just remember up here in NY we got about 3 1/2 feet of snow in a matter of a few days.

Old 05-02-2002, 06:27 PM
Pro Rider

Rubidude, Thanks for pointing that out about the County Blade. The regular 60" blade would probably work alot better. Our driveway is about 470 ft. long and has a incline to it that requires that you better have a 4 wheel drive to get up it in the winter! I doubt that I would use the plow to do any confined clearing, just mostly long driveways. I have driven my brothers 660 Grizzly, and I was impressed with the smooth ride and acceleration. I need to test out the Rubicon and Quest yet, before I make up my mind. Thanks for your input on the matter.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Hopefully if all goes as planned, I will be riding, etc. by June or July![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 05-02-2002, 07:15 PM
Trailblazer

470 feet of driveway + Minnesota winter = lot of snow to move :-)

Old 05-03-2002, 03:36 PM
Pro Rider

Hammer4,

I bought the county blade 60" and love it. You dont have to plow or throw in one direction. As you well know, the amount of snow that you will be getting will not allow you to get enough speed to really "throw" the snow around. I am in the same situation here. We had over 300" of snow this year and it is still falling. Today the snow is gone, but has been snowing off and on for the last week. I HOPE that i dont have to put the blade back on till NEXT winter! The county style is multi-directional. I do like when the snow is not very deep, that you can get it going fast enough to throw, but overall, you are pushing it to where you want it to go. The only thing that i dont like about the county blade is that the springs seem week. What i mean by this is, when plowing the WET and HEAVY stuff, the blade wants to dive. I have talked to others up in this area and its not just my blade but almost all makes seem to do this. We (me and a couple others in the area) are going to look into either adding a heavier spring or just welding the dang thing into place. I would only recommend this if you are SURE of the area that you are plowing and not like me.....i have a thing for hitting that ONE stump that i sould have pulled out by now...hehe

Good luck with the plow that you choose.....and let us know how it works!!!!

Jonathan

Quick Reply: Brands of SnowPlows