Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Brands of SnowPlows

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2005, 10:34 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brands of SnowPlows

Yes, this thread is 3 years old. So is my Moose 60" plow. But it is still kicking a$$ and performing perfectly. I have plowed my driveway more than 100 times with this thing and it is still as effective as ever. I have had the Warn winch motor come unglued (caught it just in time; the loud noise gave it away, I just removed it and re-assembled it with the original components). I've been through one complete set of plow scraper pins (?) and my scraper edge has rounded corners (I've read that it can be flipped around for extended life). My winch cable has a few loose strands hanging off, nothing to worry over. This setup has proven to be WELL worth it's original cost and then some....Some helpful tips: I've added a winch hook with a 'gate', to keep the winch cable from falling off the lift loop when the blade is a little more than fully lowered....I have added zip ties to the snap pins that hold the scraper pins (the pins that adjust the height of the scraper blade) cuz my 589 Titan MT's will occasionally catch the snap pin when the blade is at full angle, flipping the snap pin off, and I would lose the entire scraper pin, washer & rubber damper assembly (I knew that metal detector I bought would come in handy!)...I would DEFINITELY get the county blade in the future, cuz 80% of your plowing is with the blade angled and it just makes sense...I can get plenty of speed with my AC 500i for 'throwing' snow while plowing angled...I have used this setup to create snowpiles higher than my truck, never at a loss for power. I must commend Moose for the absolute ruggedness of their design. I have smashed into many curbs, lawns and other obstacles but have never damaged the setup. I am certain that there are many others who can attest to the value of an ATV plow....My final advice: If you don't have one, get one...:-)

Old 12-09-2005, 04:46 AM
Weekend Warrior

I been using the 60 inch Lite Force plow since 2002 and its made by Cycle Country.It angles to the left or right and I lift it with my winch.I usually do about 10 driveways in my neighborhood and this plow is now on its 3rd differant ATV.

I'd buy another one in a heart beat.

Old 01-16-2006, 05:00 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the information on this forum. I found in very useful in choosing my quad and plow. I will share what I have and know about this.

I have a 2005 Honda Rubicon. I put Goodyear Mudrunner tires on as the stock tires were fine for easy terrain. I stepped up the size 1 inch or so from stock.

I have a Moose 60" straight plow and the mounting hardware. It was fun to put it together, perhaps 3 hours or so to unbox it and bolt it all up. Very heavy and sturdy steel in this gear. I leave the mounting plate on all year it lowers the clearance by about 3/4" with a couple of tabs that the push tube rigging attach to. The plate is 1/4 steel and makes a dandy skid plate IMHO. The only thing that appears to be not great here is that I belive it will have to be unmounted (at least 1/2 of it or one side) to change the oil. But at my use level this is a once a year activity. The mounting plate is held on by 4 "U" bolts so, not that big of a deal to remove.

I put a winch and winch mount on that I got on ebay from Venom outdoors. I have pulled the quad and about a 300lb trailer of firewood out of being stuck with this and use it to lift the plow blade. Inexpensive winch and it works fine. I'll get another one if this one bites the dust. Very nice guys to deal with on ebay.

The deepest snow I've pushed so for is about 4 to 6 inches. The Rubicon will do this real easy. I can push uphill too. If I angle the blade to the first stop and run at about 8 to 10 MPH I can create a "rolling wave" of snow and get some throw off the side of the road.

I'm very happy with the entire setup. I live in steep terrain in the Sierra and have about 1/2 mile of private road and driveway to plow. This makes fun and short work of it. I really do look forward to snow so I can plow. The only thing I cant do with the setup is steps and my porch, that isn't as fun.

The moose plow is heavy and I find that to be a real benefit. It is a really welll made plow. I've hit logs and rocks and it just bounces off, without damage thus far. I debated the County Plow and think it might be good if your snow is dry or you have lots of snow. The straight plow is good for me I'm in the Sierra and our snow at my elevation tends to be rather wet and heavy. The Rubicon has more than enough power to push the 60" and even at angle it clears a path for the quad to run. I run the plow straight for the parking areas and then angle to blast down the roads. This is one of the "no regrets" purchases I have made.

Thanks again for sharing on this forum, it helped me make my choices. It's not like you can go anywhere around here and test all the plows on various atvs.

My question to the forum is do you spread sand and or salt with your atv? If so with what and does it work well for you?

Thanks,

Old 01-17-2006, 01:58 PM
Pro Rider

Well, I see this old thread is still alive! I have had the Moose 60" County Plow for over 3 yrs. now, and have to say It works very well. No complaints whatsoever. I used to use my winch to lift and lower it, but now I use a manual lift that works just fine. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 01-19-2006, 10:05 PM
Pro Rider

I got the Blackline and love it. I love its separate motor for the blade lifting mechanism. No more problems with breaking winch cables etc. It also has enough downforce to lift the front of your quad off the ground. I cannot speak for the quality of the Moose or a couple others....but I did look at the cycle country plows and they are a farce in quality of the blade unit compared to the Blackline. I got the Blackline at traxmotosports (or motorsports...cant remember) for $867 with a 52" blade. Its a very strong frame mount that replaces your plastic front skidpan. This new skid pan is included in the price and gives you the ability to stick a trailer hitch receiver it if you want to move trailers around later using the front of your quad so you can back it in with full control. They also have an optional hydraulic kit for changing the side angle of your plow. Its too expensive right now...but it plugs right into the electrical harness of the standard plow kit if you want to add it later. The side angle adjustment is on the same sealed keypad as the lift adjustments on the handlebar, so its all incuded in the standard unit and thereby easy to add later if your want to.

Old 01-19-2006, 11:03 PM
Range Rover

hmm... quality difference between blackline and others is deffinatly not worth the price difference IMO... but what ever you like

Old 01-20-2006, 09:25 PM
Pro Rider

I have the Moose plow

I am surprised at how though it is, I have hit some things pretty freaking hard with the plow and almost sent myself over the handle bars many times lol

The blade cuts extremly well even on slushy, wet heavy crap.

If you have a winch though your gonna hate the dmg it does to your cable. I've already lost a good 4 foot of cable due to running the plow up and down so much. I havn't figured out a way to solve the wear it does either. I was thinking about rigging up a pully off the front bumper so the cable isn't making such a tight bend on the roller fairlead. Also I need to find a bungy system to keep tension on the cable so it doesn't wrap up on itself on the winch drum so much.

Old 01-21-2006, 10:22 PM
Trailblazer

Just keep cutting 4 feet off the winch cable every 2 years or so....It still does the job and is cheaper than buying a new cable ($40).....I got 5 years out of the first 4 feet of my cable B4 it snapped (in the middle of the first big storm of the year....I should have clipped it in the fall...Live & learn...) I clipped off the worn part, now I have 45 feet of good cable; I formed the loop with a couple of 'U' type bolts, it works great...I'll keep clipping this cable until it's too short to clip any more....BTW, the ATV is STILL kicking A$$ and I'm looking 4 snow.....THANK U AC!!!

Old 02-04-2008, 01:59 AM
Pro Rider

I used a tow strap from walmart to solve my cable issues. The tow strap can withstand all the up/downs while the cable just keeps getting weaker and weaker

for the plow, I finally bent my push tubes. The cross braces popped off then I hit some old iced up snow on the left side of the blade and bent the left push tube

thinking hard on getting the new rapid mount Moose has out, hooks to the front of the quad and gets rid of the push tubes under the skid (I get high centered on them all the time)

anyone have anything to say about the rapid mount from moose???