Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

should I buy a honda rubicon or a kawasaki 650 for utility atv

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2002, 01:33 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i would go w/ the p650, it has the best all-around capabilities, plus it can switch in and out of 4wd, plus differential lock for mud, and it is a strong workhorse.

Old 08-25-2002, 11:59 PM
Range Rover

Suppose you have made up your mind and may have bought your 650, but will comment: others may get some good from it.

These posts certainly downplay the Ruby. Not ever having any experience with one, I'll agree the 650 probably is the best bet.

However because I own both a 650 and a 98 Honda 450-s, the test becomes tighter, and will depend alot on the defination of "utility".

The Honda is used for spraying weeds, fixing fence, hauling salt and those jobs when the transmission is needed for compression on hills, and lots of starting and stopping is required.

The 650 is used for irrigateing, traveling longer distances, cow herding and FUN!!

The Honda is bullet-proof, the 650 not quite so much.

Go forth and ride!!

98 450-s
17000 + miles
Titians

00 Kodiak
stock
Titians

02 650
3000+ miles
stock

Old 09-01-2002, 01:59 AM
'5 minutes worth of planning equals 30 minutes of execution'

Easy choice - Kawi 650 is twice the machine. Better ride, locking front differntial, MUCH faster, better brakes ect.

Old 09-03-2002, 10:58 AM
Trailblazer

You know, quads these days are all built well. I wouldn't slam anyone's purchase no matter who the mfr is. To me, it's all about getting on and riding each one, checking out user opinions, and basing your decision on what the majority of your riding will be.

For me, I absolutely love the Rubicon I bought...then again I really have no need for a locking front differential, and have already popped in the WARN unlocker. My riding is trails, to get me to the good fly fishing holes up on the river...and the usual winter plowing.

Granted, I am sure IRS might be a bonus, but I am fine with the Rubi for comfort. Not sure where speed really becomes a factor, these are work horses in the utility class, not sport bikes. A buddy has a P650 and I found that the soft front suspension dips too much for me, brings the back end up on corners. My Rubi cruises at 55 no problems on the straights...but then speed it not an issue, unless you get a nice long straight to cruise down. As for Polaris', I didn't much care for the slack in the throttle at the get go, I thought it might create problems when feathering the gas to hop over trees and obstacles, now their IRS is a cozy little convenience too, though.

Most importantly, you have to be the one that lives with your decision, and there will always be some factor of cognitive dissonance (buyers remorse) involved with ATV purchases. I just love to ride, and as long as it feels good and is reliable enough for ya, go for it. Ride safe out there fellas.