Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

True front lock

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2002, 05:39 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep, suzuki was the first one to come out with a locking front diff...in '87 (the LT-4wd, 250 cc). I just happen to own one.Great Machine, its god awefull slow, but will go anywhere you point it[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img](and still manages to pull 48 mph on the road, lol) I beleive the 300 King Quad came out in 91.

Old 08-29-2002, 06:26 PM
Range Rover

95wolv,

opps, my bad! you would expect a Bomb. owner to know the difference [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 09-15-2002, 08:21 PM
Trailblazer

Check out my locker modifiction for the 2001 and older arctic cat 250/300 on the arctic cat page.
Volvoman

Old 09-15-2002, 10:52 PM
Range Rover

Yep i would perfer Suzuki over any Other Brand name! Suzuki is the one that made the ATV Industry what it is today! Honda made the first 3-wheeler then Suzuki made the first 4-wheeler, first 4wd, first front diff lock ATV. I realize Suzuki is behind in there big bores but what does it matter they will soon make one and it might be king for a little while then someone will make a bigger one, it needs to stop somewhere! But Suzuki respects it followers!!!

Old 09-19-2002, 02:04 AM
Pro Rider

The locker on the Prairie is awesome device. If you are running a decent tire and really need the locker the effect is awesome.

About two weeks ago I was out riding alone (in 2 wheel drive) and got into a nasty hole by accident. The machine almost stopped before I got it into four wheel drive, once the front end engaged it stated moving again just to pull me in deeper and slow me down more. Well with this going on I knew if I didn't get it out with the locker I would be walking a long way for help (nothing to secure the winch to in front of me) so I clamped down on the locker and wound it up. The result was as close as you can get to a bull ride, it jerked me on ito about 2 feet of pure mud, no water, and then drug me out of it gaining spped the whole time. When I came out the other side it was like a being shot out of a cannon. When I got it stopped I looked back to see two of the godawefullest ruts I'd ever seen.

I hate to slam on the Grizz but I really don't think it would have gotten out of that hole due to the limitations of it's system.

No matter which one you get, if you get in slop that makes you pucker be ready for a ***** to the wall ride on your way out.

Old 09-19-2002, 08:12 PM
Pro Rider

word!!!!!!!

Old 09-20-2002, 09:09 PM
Pro Rider

Muddhound:
Yesturday I was out riding with a buddy with a Grizz 600 with Excavators on all 4...I was riding stock socks with the back one's showing real wear. I went through the mud and bog, using the diff-lock. My buddy goes into it and follows the same place and gets stuck. I go back through and winch him out. We ride a bit and go back trough...this time he leads and gets stuck again but manages to back out and go on his way. I was nervous cause his winch don't work so I haul in on the lever again and really start giving it some gas...and man it's a wild bull ride as you describe it...never even broke a sweat. I can't wait till I get a real set of tires. That locker on my big Kawi is really something!

ROB

Old 09-20-2002, 09:43 PM
Pro Rider

I want to trade my 500i off on this P650 now, it sounds pretty awesome. If Suzuki doesn't come out with their own P650 I think I'll be visiting my local Kawi dealer.

Old 09-21-2002, 03:20 AM
Pro Rider

We may not have the ground clearance of the IRS machines but with our locker the Kawi is one baaaaad ride!!!

Old 09-21-2002, 04:02 AM
Weekend Warrior

It's not hard to bypass the speed limiter on the grizzly 660 when in the lock mode to once again make it the top dog, axle draggers. Not knocking the Kawi it's a good machine, but just some simple tweaks to the 660 griz you get the ultimate machine.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: True front lock