Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

True front lock

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2002, 01:53 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We may be axle draggers but at least we don't have to stop and sink to engage our locker, which results in a complete loss of momentum and possibly a winching!!!

Oh and for the axle dragging comment, I'd rather drag on a rock once every two weeks than I would ride an IRS machine off camber or at 60 mph on a winding fire trail.

Old 09-21-2002, 05:22 PM
Pro Rider

i agree with mudhound. irs is ok but i would much rather have the p650 over any machine out there. it is pure beast. ***** beyond belief and handles great for a big ute. i've seen irs quads tip over on off camber trails way easier than a quad withot irs. as far as rocks hitting the bottom of the quad, that's what skids are for.

Old 09-21-2002, 09:51 PM
Pro Rider

HI GUY'S
The Kawi P650 is hardly a axle dragger. I have 1100kms on mine and have yet to hit my axle or rear-diff. I have scraped the skids though. An IRS machine squats under a load and loses alot of it's clearance. A P650 with a big set of mudders give alot of height...and with that front-locker and that monstrous power and throttle response...you have a very formiddable machine that will go through almost anything with VERY convincing vigour. I like to refer to it as a JUGGERNAUT!!!

PS: Bbertram...You will not regret trading in the 500 on this man let me tell you. Alot of people get caught up talking about this bike's speed and power (myself included) and tend to forget about this bike's other side... as an absolute JOY to mud and climb with. I have climbed over rocks and embankments that scared the p*ss out of me, and have literally jumped off rocks and banks with a punch of the trottle!!! This thing is agile as a cat and does not feel anywhere near the 600+lbs it is. I am crazy for this machine...because it makes everything you can do on a quad... WAY MORE FUN!!!

ROB

Old 09-23-2002, 10:56 AM
Pro Rider

The main reason why I want to switch over is that IRS is not meant for true mudding, with big tires you snap axles. I snapped two on my 500i already. Enough is enough, thank god it was on warranty!

Old 09-24-2002, 08:58 PM
Weekend Warrior

Maybe Artic Cat can't build axles. I've had the ol griz through as much mud as the next guy and haven't broke a thing nor anyone else I ride with although there are no artic cats. Just some food for thought. I wouldn't let a bad experiance with an AC turn you away from IRS![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 09-24-2002, 11:12 PM
Pro Rider

Ok take an Irs quad load it down with a 200 lbs rider and add another 100 pounds with gear and see where your ground clearance went to. Do the same with an "axle dragger" and see where his clearance is now. With that said just whos the axle dragger now??????.......Rob

Old 09-24-2002, 11:48 PM
Trailblazer

Then it would be about the same. Sidehilling is the ONLY place straight axles have it over IRS, the only place. And if your into 60mph cornering get a sport quad.

Old 09-25-2002, 12:03 AM
Pro Rider

Robh,
200 lb rider with 100 lb gear.......same question popped up 3 years ago on Polaris forum.......IRS will keep the outstanding ground clearance,....... and performance for people like I , who know how to deal with off camber situations and who don't care ,if they may be 5 MPH slower on the fire roads...I don't ride any fire roads at all and IRS fully suits my needs. When I need to speed up and get the kick out of speed I just gas up my Grizz. And enjoy IRS ride with 12.5 rear tires. Power sliding....?????... like a charm.
I had 5 quads with a solid axle,2 w/o...no more solid axle ever again!!
But as I said ,IT IS MY preference.

Old 09-25-2002, 12:13 AM
Pro Rider

Sorry colt but i have to disagree with you. I too own a irs quad and it does lose ground clearance as the weight is added onto it. If it didnt then the ride wouldnt be so soft. What your trying to tell me simply cannot happen. It takes a big man to admit when hes been beat. Now the question is are you a big man.....hahahahahahaha.......Rob

Old 09-25-2002, 10:46 AM
Pro Rider

My 500i only looses ground clearance when you give it throttle. If you park the quad and throw 300 lbs on the quad it will not sink or sink very very little. But gas it and it will sink really bad and then it goes back to normal after you let off the gas. The Polaris quads are much worse than the cats for IRS when it comes to rear end sinking.

I have heard of Grizzlies busting up axles too, it all depends on the tire you run and how extreme you go. Look at my pics I go all out but I went all out on my dad's Quadrunner with these big tires and no problem at all. It still runs to this day. I gave IRS a chance but its not reliable enough for me.

Quick Reply: True front lock