Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

True front lock

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2002, 04:09 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I run 27" dirt devils and ride as hard and extreme as I can without breaking a thing!! You can put 300 pounds on my griz and yes I loose a little clearance but I'm still way higher than an axle dragger could ever dream of. I could loose over 5 inches before you could maybe compare clearance with a straight axle machine. Fire trails and off camber are more rider than machine so bring it on ladies!!!!

Old 09-25-2002, 11:36 PM
Weekend Warrior

Powerhungry660 i couldnt have said it better Grizzly does have REALLLLY GOOD ground clearence and the reason it squats is because the grizzly has got somewhere to go and aint gonna play around gettin there shes gonna **** and get, when she's squating the rear end is saying bye bye to those axel draggers live on Powerhungry660

Old 09-26-2002, 01:06 AM
Weekend Warrior

Amen Brother![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 09-26-2002, 01:00 PM
Pro Rider

<< Powerhungry660 i couldnt have said it better Grizzly does have REALLLLY GOOD ground clearence and the reason it squats is because the grizzly has got somewhere to go and aint gonna play around gettin there shes gonna **** and get, when she's squating the rear end is saying bye bye to those axel draggers live on Powerhungry660 >>

You've never actually drag raced an axle dragger (P650) have you???

Old 09-26-2002, 09:12 PM
Pro Rider

Rob,
I don't have a problem to admit,that I am rong at all.Sorry buddy,I am not in this case....the year is 1999 and there's a bunch of great and experienced rider on this forum,and one of them is Gordon Banks from Huntsville Alabama.This guy spent countless hours on this Forum, creating fantastic discussions/with a bunch of mechanical engineers/. He stated one day,that if you sit down on the Polaris SP 500/he wasn't exactly in love with Polaris,he slandered it all the time ,but in very decent manner/, you loose 2 inches of a ground clearance/I think he mentioned 200 lb/. After I read his statement, immediately I've gone to a Polaris dealer. And I had a salesman to sit on a quad,and I did the &quot;research&quot;. It did not sink at all,not even 1/4 of inch.................also Yamaha Grizzly 1999 instructional video ridiculed IRS on SP 500 big time....and look what happened a couple of years later,IRS on the Grizz 660 was a major feature.....wow...
Maybe IRS will sink a little with 300 lb..I weight 180 lbs. and most of time my gear is maybe 15 lbs....?? I will check that next time when I see Frogman,he is a tall,well built guy,he's got 220lbs easy,and my doberman has 100...I let you know.
Other than that I agree with bbert., and 660.
Joe

Old 09-30-2002, 11:16 PM
Range Rover

I dont own a Big Bore Quad with IRS but i do own a Eiger 400 4x4. This is what i have to say, i like IRS and it might ride a lil better but yes it does squat and lose ground clearance, not much! To me it looks like IRS would have more problems cuz you have to worry about CV Joint boots which is a b!tch when they tear and lose grease and start clicking badly! You might call me a axle dragger, but lets hook up Axle to IRS and see which Breaks first!

Old 10-02-2002, 06:53 PM
Weekend Warrior

Man i will have to disagree You want the Top of the line of suspension defitintly go with IRS. Rides alot better and in the mud it will help you out alot, the only thing that straight axels are better for ONLY is riding on a side hills but mudding climbing trail riding, you cant beat IRS haha there aint really no comparison. Talking about hooking up to see which breaks first haha thats funny. I do recall just as much problems with the straight axel as with IRS or prob more trust me. IRS is better for excessive speeds hitting holes it soaks up alot better than that ol stone age straight axel feeling like your riding a two horse wagon. Come to luxury and smooth ride. Or if you want to feel every bump in the road and have your back go out at 30 go with the straight axel cause i want to be able to walk after 30 hahaha. But all sillyness aside say your atv is going in a mud hole any particular brand. Ok say your right side gives away without notice and the right side of your atv drops, now with IRS your left rear is less gonna raise and therefore create better traction and stability and have a better chance of contine to go along your merry way. Where as ol straightyyy you dip off boop the old left side naturally is gonna do what, of course go with it and raise up making only the sidewall of your tire your only defense of getting out making you bogg down and sputter around.Now i am not saying this is gonna happen to you but it makes perfectly good sense.Thats just one reason out of many why I would choose IRS, its a no brainer really

Old 10-02-2002, 10:41 PM
Range Rover

Yes IRS does have better ride and will help in a off set road b/c it it will keep the four wheeler level but with a SRA you dont have to worrie about parts breaking b/c the simpler the design the easer to maintain and the less there is to mess up so i would go with a SRA also b/c if you look at a dragster they use a solid b/c it can handel the power and the torque and plant it well to the surface. Oh yea i could see a IRS on a road racing car but who is going to road race a four wheeler. and who realy need a lot of technology in a ATV when its going to be going through harsh conditions you just need somthing that can hold up and keep you going. please tell me how you think a solid rear axle is going to cause more problems then IRS b/c i disagree[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 10-02-2002, 11:42 PM
Pro Rider

OH YEAH...WELL...YO MOMMA!!

Old 10-03-2002, 12:00 AM
Pro Rider

<< Ok say your right side gives away without notice and the right side of your atv drops, now with IRS your left rear is less gonna raise and therefore create better traction and stability and have a better chance of contine to go along your merry way. Where as ol straightyyy you dip off boop the old left side naturally is gonna do what, of course go with it and raise up making only the sidewall of your tire your only defense of getting out making you bogg down and sputter around.Now i am not saying this is gonna happen to you but it makes perfectly good sense. >>

Dude swing arm straight axles don't cant!

Set a straight axle machine on four cinder blocks (one under each tire), then pull one out from the rear. The axle won't cant leaving only side lugs to catch, the axle will stay level leaving the entire footprint of the blocked tire still on the block. The only way you will get the sidewall of a straight axle's tire on the ground is by rolling the tire or the quad.

Have you ever even seen a Prairie or so much as ridden one???

<u>Ride one of these machines before you say how it reacts!</u>

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: True front lock