Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

RINCON vs 700 SPORTMAN!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2002, 09:16 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RINCON vs 700 SPORTMAN!!!!!

ALL BY MY VERY SELF! AREN'T YOU PROUD?

WHAT'S UR PROBLEM??

Old 11-11-2002, 11:07 PM
TG1
Pro Rider

Don't have a problem... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Rincon, SP700, Grizz, Kawi 650, Quest 650... It doesn't much matter, all will take you where you want to go. Sometimes even to places you don't want to go. I've got no problem with anyone who has posted on here (in case anyone thinks my feathers are ruffled), I might disagree with some posts everyone has an opinion. With that being said the best way to chose a new quad is to read the test reviews, check out the forums and test ride it. Ride what you want, and pack a tow strap because everyone eventually will need one.

Old 11-12-2002, 08:51 AM
Trailblazer

That was funny rincon. I would imagine that since it operates only as a locked diff and is wide open when not in use that trickery is afoot. I have tried to research the inards to no avail. It works quite well when I have used it. No slippage whatso ever. Has anyone besides sledpullers seen these diffs slip? I have had some discussions with a ride red head and he is very negative about anything without a locker. He has seen some limited slips that mostly slip. Hell I have burned up the clutches in the lsd on my truck. they eventually fail. If anyone has any info on the true workings of polaris' true 4wheel drive would you please enlighten me.

Old 11-12-2002, 02:25 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: BigDaddyT
I have had some discussions with a ride red head and he is very negative about anything without a locker.
Next time you have one of those discussions with him point out that "Big Red" has yet to release a machine with a locker. I guess he doesn't even like his own ride does he?

Old 11-12-2002, 04:09 PM
Pro Rider

He likely has a HL locker. BUT i agree a 3 wheel drive becomes a 2WD quickly in some situations, polaris has a good set-up (for most situations)

Old 11-12-2002, 06:00 PM
TG1
Pro Rider

He likely has a HL locker. But I agree a 3 wheel drive becomes a 2WD quickly in some situations, Polaris has a good set-up (for most situations)
3wd becomes 2wd... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Only if you have the front tire in the air, yet you still can try to fool the limited slip diff via the brake method (I never had any luck but then again the Cat brakes are linked together). The HL locker is a great idea, just too bad to have to add it to a +$7000 machine when a lockers are now offered on midsize models. Polaris has a great 4wd system; I'd actually like to see a RMK Mag 500 vs. a regular Mag 500 to see which has a better 4wd system.

Old 11-12-2002, 08:43 PM
Pro Rider

I'd actually like to see a RMK Mag 500 vs. a regular Mag 500 to see which has a better 4wd system.
What's the difference? Or am i missing a joke?

Old 11-12-2002, 11:57 PM
Pro Rider

BigDaddyT:
There recently was a very good discussion about how the 4wd system works on a Polaris on another website. Try going to the (a t v n a t i o n) website (without the spaces) look in the Polaris thread, and check out the one titled '4wd without rear wheel slip'. It is in the archives somewhere. Much easier to refer you to that instead of trying to re-type it all again.

TG1:
I once saw the RMK vs. regular Mag. The differences were slight. The RMK has a locker in the front that locks after one front wheel slips a certain amount without the other. After that both fronts turn together. I assume you are familiar with how the standard Polaris 4wd system works.
The RMK turns large tires noticeably easier, but not necessarily any faster (it is geared noticeably lower, especially in low) and has 4 wheel engine braking. Funny, for all the people saying that Polaris needed 4 wheel engine braking, they sold precious few of the RMKs.

Rincon:
The RMK was a special edition 500 Magnum, designed for heavy loads/big hills. It came geared lower than the standard Magnum, with heavy-ply tires, and the heavy duty suspension springs as standard. Instead of the usual Polaris 'on demand' 4wd, it had full-time 4wd, with a Visco-Lock front differential (similar to what is on the Traxter). If I remember right, it also came with a winch factory installed.

Old 11-13-2002, 06:30 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks. I knew the RMK (Rocky Mountain King) was a special model, but i never realized that it had lower gearing,
different differential and stiffer springs..........................now i do[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 11-13-2002, 08:06 PM
TG1
Pro Rider

When I was in the market for a new ATV I was looking for a RMK but no dealers close by had one. The biggest reason I considered it was for the Visco-lok 4wd system due to all the great comments about by the Bomb guys. Oh well, maybe a Sportsman RMK is in the works...

Quick Reply: RINCON vs 700 SPORTMAN!!!!!