Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Honda ES and Kodiak negatives?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2002, 08:12 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honda ES and Kodiak negatives?

that after priming the engine, that it would start up on the first or second turn of the starter motor.
No, it doesn't even need to be primed! just a little choke!

If you get the belt on a kodiak wet, then the air box on your 450 would be a bath tub. I am speaking from my personal experience with the belt on the KOD. The air intake for the belt is under the front rack. The 450's air box intake is under the gas tank (mabey not even as high as the tranny intake for the KOD)

Old 12-11-2002, 09:03 PM
Weekend Warrior

RINCON, if will only be flooded if it is not sealed right. I have an extension that takes my air intake up to right under my front headlight, so that is what I meant there by saying that I would have it wet. Also, the belt is lower than that...Besides, motors can get small amounts of water into them, but once a belt is wet, dont expect to keep goin hard. As you said though, the air intake for the belt is under the front rack. What goes into the water first? Front rack.

Old 12-12-2002, 03:16 AM
Pro Rider

i think the bad thing about the ES is that if it breaks and warrenty is up good luck paying a fourtune, the down side of the kodiak is nothing! go to the kodiak!!!!

Old 12-12-2002, 10:17 AM
Weekend Warrior

The upside of this is that there is only around a 3% chance of this happening, and if he wants more reliability he can go to a 450 S, which is just like the Kodiak but better. Besides, Hona's are the most reliable ATV's you can buy.

Old 12-12-2002, 10:25 AM
Pro Rider

The Foreman S is a great choice, the only thing to go wrong with an ES is the gear position sensor, or the electric motor, both of which is not that bad to fix, and likely would never need to be touched.

The air intake for a Forman 450 is along side the tank. You would have to have water over the seat B4 the airbox gets wet. Having a breather onder the front rack is not a great design feature, just entering a large puddle fast will drive water into it. Also if entering a large hole and teh front end sinks to the headlight, on the Forman your still goos to go!! Intake high and dry!!

Old 12-12-2002, 04:21 PM
Pro Rider

As you said though, the air intake for the belt is under the front rack. What goes into the water first? Front rack.
I have an extension that takes my air intake up to right under my front headlight,
The last time i checked the front headlights on the 450 in my garage were on the front!
Your logic escapes me.

Old 12-12-2002, 05:24 PM
Pro Rider

Rincon,

Relax! I think we all know that the headlights are in front of the rack, but you did say in an earlier post, that the belt intake was under the front rack. If you are going into a water, or mud, hole you usually are coming in off a bank and the quad is angled downward. In that case, the front rack area goes into the wet before the handlebars (where the Honda intake is located - between tank and handlebars). There is no question that both the Honda and the Yamaha are good machines.
"Why can't we all just agree to disagree and all get along?"

Old 12-12-2002, 06:17 PM
Weekend Warrior

The last time i checked the front headlights on the 450 in my garage were on the front!
Last time I checked, which was 5 minutes ago, there is a headlight on the front of the handlebars. There are 2 other lights under the front rack. Your idiocy escapes me. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 12-13-2002, 07:19 AM
Pro Rider

the bottom of the light on the bars is at rack heigth (mabey 1.5" higher) but the front end (stock for stock) of a KOD is higher anyways.

I just don't like it when ppl come on here and think that it's soo "easy" to get the belt wet on an auto. It's sealed as good as a 5 speeds engine cases!! (well at least it's water tight)

no hard feelings though, alright?

BTW, i'm by no means saying the Kodiak is better, if only the KOD had the width of the 450 (HON) then it would be!

Old 12-13-2002, 10:53 AM
Weekend Warrior

Going from experience here; a manual is much better in most any case, because you control what gear it is in. Sure, the KOD has low range etc... But can you control what gear it is in? I didn't think so. Also, just because the front rack is higher doesnt mean anything, because water can still be splashed into it, or when coming off a bank that still goes in before the gas tank/seat. For the most part, that case is water tight. But it still gets wet 45% of the time. Why risk doing that, when it is better to not have to worry and get a bulletproof Honda?