Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

polaris yamaha kawasaki which one???????

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2003, 09:58 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default polaris yamaha kawasaki which one???????

If your kawi's don't need this done to them, then consider my next machine a 650 prarie![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 03-07-2003, 01:04 AM
Range Rover

Amen Predator3, I wouldn't trade my sp600 for all the fudge on Mackinac Island!!!!
(Michigan joke)

Old 03-07-2003, 01:31 AM
Pro Rider

trust me the kawi p650 is the best bike I have ever owned, I have 1st hand knowledge, note: my signature at the bottom

Old 03-07-2003, 01:45 PM
Pro Rider

just buy a kodiak 450, its got the grizz front diff, and digital spedo ect ect its prob got some ballz to but its chaeper than the others

Old 03-07-2003, 11:28 PM
Pro Rider

Uhhh, daily checkups mean oil change, top off brake fluid and greasing the zerks
Change the oil daily?? I only change my oil about every 500 miles, and grease the zerks about once every 3 months and have yet toy have a problem. But I do check the breaks often "Very Important"[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 03-08-2003, 09:46 PM
Trailblazer

Cut me some slack fugger! Most people know what is required when you service a machine. When I say daily checkups do you think I mean weekly??

Old 03-10-2003, 05:25 PM
Pro Rider

I would go with a solid rear axle on the vinson. For the type of work your talking about it will be more reliable, and handle bigger loads on the racks(forgeting about the manufactures ratings). The manual is also a good choise it will take more punishment than a belt for a longer time hands down. A freind of mine has one and beats the thing to death and it dosent give even a wimper.

Old 03-11-2003, 10:52 PM
Trailblazer

Predator 03, we have a differing opinion here. you state its an old arguement. My Vinson is an automatic and not what I was after.

He sounds like he is pulling heavy loads with it. I would love to have a Grizzly instead of the Vinson for what I do but you have to match the task to the bike. no bike is right for everyone. I just couldn't afford the Grizz.

As for Polaris, how many belts have you put on that machine?? They run a totally different system than that of the other brands. Buddy has two bikes that are 500 polaris, but he has done two belts on his and I saw the other bike (actually his dads) go into a mud hole and a plume of blue smoke billowed out after stuck for a minute or so. Bike is fine and is still on the same one, but coming from a snowmobile background I know It ain't long for life.

I am not brand loyal and looked at all but the Polaris because of what I saw that day. If they came out with a similar drive system as the others I would have bought a 500 HO.

You also have to agree that with a bunch of tongue wieght you will load the suspension rather than the tires on a IRS system. I was told by A YAMAHA DEALER not to buy a Grizzly if I intended to load my wheeled trailer with wood and haul it out. He recomended the Kodiak. Straight rear end. Just my .02

Old 03-12-2003, 12:15 AM
Pro Rider

Hello Vinson,

You're right about the difference of opinion. Over the last 14 months, we have owned six Polaris quads. All 2002 or newer. Three 500 ho's, one Scrambler 500 Ho, Trail Boss, and now I have a Predator. We ride down at Windrock in Tennessee. Very rocky, difficult terrain. Lot's of everything. Huge mud holes, steep inclines.. and the rocks. My family and I have ridden close to 7000 miles in that time. 95 percent of that was at Windrock. The ONLY belt that we have ever replaced, was my fault. I smoked it on my Scrambler (which does NOT have a low gear). I was trying to pull something I shouldn't have, and I paid the price. 30 bucks and 15 minutes of back breaking (lol) labor replacing it. I don't know what it would take to convince you that the belt system is proven to be reliable, but that should help. As far as your friend goes, tell him that machine has a low gear. I doubt you can even smoke a belt in low. That sounds to me like driver error. I've been in plenty of mud holes, I've been winched out, but never has the machine given out on me. EVER.

As far as the Grizzly goes. If it's a workhorse you are looking for. The Sportsman outclasses that too. The 500 has more towing capacity, even though it's 160 cc's less. I can't seem to find the towing capacity of the Vinson, but I would venture to guess it's not even in the same league as a Polaris Sportsman 500 HO.

On top of all that, it's AMERICAN!!!!! (just couldn't resist that)

Old 03-12-2003, 12:40 AM
Range Rover

the shi* is getting real deep in here now!

Quick Reply: polaris yamaha kawasaki which one???????