Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

best low speed pulling lagre ATV ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2003, 10:56 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default best low speed pulling lagre ATV ?

SPECTA... thanx,i'll have mine on the rocks!

Old 05-06-2003, 05:24 PM
Trailblazer

[q
I would go with the kodiak 450, except it is an auto.

bighunter

Old 05-13-2003, 07:08 AM
Pro Rider

Im sure all the above mentioned quads are very good and you probably wont go wrong with any of them.
I can speak for the prairie 650, It pulls my 4000 pound boat out of the water and up the hill on a regular basis. Never smoked a belt, but the black spring would be recomended. $25 part. I do agree weight is an advantage when pulling, when the tires are wet they will spin a bit, but if only for pulling get somthing with six wheels. 4 low prairie is a pulling machine, but when its time to have fun its there also. And it was made in nebraska.

Old 05-14-2003, 03:42 AM
Trailblazer

If I remember correctly, in the atv mag big bore shootout, when they did the sled pull, the rubicon or arctic cat were dead last. They just didn't have enough power. Quest 650 had the longest pull of the day.

Old 05-14-2003, 08:09 PM
Weekend Warrior

Does it make a difference if you are moving at lower speeds about the air cooled vs. Liquid cooled. I am working in the summer mowing as well in 100 + temps on hills and doing low speed pulling.

The liquid cooled engines run a little more price wise and was wondering if it is really an issue with the speed and engine temp?

Old 05-14-2003, 10:02 PM
Range Rover

With my foreman if you are moving slow very long in ho weather it will warm up and the fan will kick on until it cools back down. I have never had a problem with mine overheating and you dont have to worry about antifreeze either.

Old 05-15-2003, 12:52 AM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: kawirob
HI GUY'S:
<snipped> If you want a Good puller ( the best stock) buy the Bombardier traxter. At The Indy 500( I think) ...Bomardier hooked up the Traxter to an 18wheeler and towed it! Truck and trailer! They also hooked on to a Pol700 and proceeded to tow it around the track...NUFF SAID!

ROB
Your point is well-taken, but realistically if I hooked my Honda 300 4x4 up to an 18 wheeler I could probably tow it around, too. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] You can tow a huge amount of a rolling load if you take it easy. Ya'll know what I mean? I wouldn't use that as a test of pulling power.

Old 05-15-2003, 09:36 AM
Pro Rider

A liquid cooled motor will not loose power as the engine heats up and will last longer. While an air cooled motor will heat up a bit more but will loose more power and may not last as long.

Old 05-15-2003, 10:50 AM
Weekend Warrior

for heavy pulling I can see the engine heating up more and loosing performance, but trail riding I do not see this as much of a factor is that true? Would a heated up engine effect overall life of the engine or just the performance for that outing?

In reading all these forums I see no one concerned with liquid cooling vs air cooled and I am getting to think that my concern is invalid.

I am really liking the honda Foremans with their direct dirve and no belts, the pulling ability of the Foreman series (Foreman S) will do the trick I hope. The 433 CC engine seems like a beast and will still allow me to have some fun on the trails. How hard is it to get a after market gas tank that will hold more gas. that is the only downfall I see at this point is the 3.2 gallon tank size.

Old 05-15-2003, 08:30 PM
Range Rover

I have a foreman 400 4x4, and i get over 22mpg with it. About 55 miles a tank, so unless you go on really long rides, i would just fill it up first, and you should be ok. And if air cooled engines dont last as long as liquid cooleds then why are there so many 80 model hondas still running like new?Im not saying liquid cooled motors are bad, but i was just stating that air cooled engines will last just as long as a liquid cooleds will. I have pulled 20ft hay wagons with steel I-beam runners,and wood flats, and the foreman showed no lack of power. I have pulled wagons up a small, long incline on our road hitting it doing 25mph, and topping it at 25mph in fifth gear never dropping any speed. It will spin all 4 tires on flat dry ground in 3rd gear if you hook it to something it wont move like a tree. I have also never had a single problem on my foreman besides the rear foot brake lever freezing up after i took it through water and didnt ride/clean it for a week, and it got rusted up, but it was a simple fix by taking it off the shaft, cleaning it off, and greasing it up good. I would say that you couldnt go wrong with buying a foreman 450 or 400.

Quick Reply: best low speed pulling lagre ATV ?