Vintage Machines.. Pre 1975, Dirt bikes, ATV's, MiniBikes, Snowmobiles, etc.... If you rode and or still ride a vintage machine..lets talk about it here!!

K10 '86 Vintage SELVY 250 " R"acer Build

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2010, 03:27 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default K10 '86 Vintage SELVY 250 "R"acer Build

Just started this 250 build last weekend. It'll be an '86 ATC 250R with vintage period aftermarket items. Don't expect any lightning fast progress, but hope to have it done by the end of the summer. Won't really ride it, so no hurry. (here come the haters ) This one will be just a looker! (CAL FAB, WEST COAST, SELVYS) I dismantled an old flat track project to harvest parts for a couple new builds, so some of these parts here, are from that old project.
The Selvy 200R is also almost underway, but I will be using it's frame as a display piece in a local parade for PC'n late May. I'll post another thread on the SELVY 200R build starting in early June.
Hopefully with the leftover parts, between these two builds, I'll have enough to slap a good rider together! It's been way too long since I've had the joy of riding a trike. Anyhow, here's the start of the chassis, and a shot of the future heart transplant. Might even use the Steve Wright SELVY cylinder on this project. More pics and progress to come.

Old 04-28-2010, 02:23 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts

I am looking forward to seeing this and the other projects come together..Thanks for sharing!!

Old 05-23-2010, 03:27 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Progress

Got some parts and a little problem. The good news is that no one stole the boxes left on the front porch by the UPS man (darn "driver release"). Bad news is, well........ Calling all Mugen fork kit owners..........I'm scratching my head a little here and hoping someone can give me a little advise on how the pistons are removed from the lower Mugen fork tubes. I can't install the new upper fork tubes, unless I get the pistons out of the Mugen lower tubes first. Unfortunately, the Mugen instruction sheet is missing , but instead I received these handy rear Mugen shock instructions (WTF). The Mugen lowers are different than typical run of the mill factory issue forks (for those who don't know). I've rebuilt OEM forks numerous times, with great success, but I'm just a little hesitant on these, beings they ran so much money. The normal allen head bolt on the very bottom of an OEM style is an adjustable screw style on the Mugen forks. It's located under a rubber dust cap on the bottom of each lower fork leg. -Any kit owners out there, that can help here?? Thanks for any thoughts and guidance!
Here are a few pics of the arrived goodies to be assembled on this build. Hope to get the front end together this weekend.
-Andy

Well I got it figured out and apart. For the sake of sharing and possibly enlightening others on the Mugen fork kit, here are some pictures of the valves and pistons. I had to simply hold the piston from spinning inside the lower tubes and back the valve body out with a 19mm socket. The nuts on both ends of the valves are permanently crimped secure.
Back to work.....................

Here's the slow progress, as of this morning. Cookouts, beer to drink, so much to do - so little time! Stayed up after the kids went to bed and got a little more done last night.
Here she is...... The 18" Ohtsu H Traks might get swapped out for more of an MX tire of the day. I've got to order some more wheels from DWT.
Well Back out to the garage.......................

Old 05-30-2010, 10:43 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default It's alive!

Thanks for the kind words of encouragement! It's a runner as of this evening. Here's some pics of the progress I made today. Just have to install the rest of the plastic, seat, tank, # plate, decals, & it'll be ready for the annual Mt. Horeb Summer Frolic Parade. This is our local annual festival & parade (fair/carnival). My 6 yr. old will ride next to me following our Chevy Suburban with trailer in tow. Thinking of displaying the crated R this year for giggles. Most won't really know what it even is, but there are a bunch of older ex-racer 250R guys that will be in attendance. Hope it doesn't rain! Should be fun.

Old 05-31-2010, 09:58 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default ALL DONE (pretty much)

Well, I got it finished and ran it today. There may be a few things I will change or tweak, but it's pretty much done. I think I'll add an old school tether switch on some more MX'able bars & mount up the old Ohtsu MX tires. I didn't get much time to jet it correctly today, with watching my kids ride (6 & 3 yrs old), but it's a usable bike and should work fine for next weekends parade. Here's a walk around view and a shot of my future vintage rider. **WITH A HELMET OF COARSE!** Funny thing too, the little crap did that pose all on his own & kinda surprised me. Love those kids!!!

Old 06-28-2010, 07:56 PM
Weekend Warrior

Nice, my worked woods racing 85 250r got stolen. had 4 gallon tank. keep a look out, it was years ago, probably long gone. lots of billet aluminum. right now i have a CRF450R 3-wheeler conversion, and a 200x. one day ill get another 250r, possibly a quad though, because i want to do some racing. im a die hard 3-wheeler guy though. doesnt show where your from. if your anywhere near jersey, let me know if you want to go riding. right now healing up my broken leg though. some recovery ahead of me.

Old 06-28-2010, 07:57 PM
Weekend Warrior

oh BY THE WAY! your kid is bad ***, and leans like curtis sparks. one day, im ganna have a kid like that myself. they cost too much money though. how do you afford a shiney bike like that ? lol.... by the way - alot of credit to you for having him wear a chest protector. please make sure he wears riding boots too - they saved my leg from being amputated.