Vintage Machines.. Pre 1975, Dirt bikes, ATV's, MiniBikes, Snowmobiles, etc.... If you rode and or still ride a vintage machine..lets talk about it here!!

90' RT180 oil injection

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2010 | 11:02 AM
|
Trailblazer
Default 90' RT180 oil injection

The bike isnt pre 1975, but its 20 yrs old now so ill consider it "vintage"

heres my query:

ive had this bike for a little while now and its fun to ride, so i would like to keep it. I bought it without the oil tank or hoses, the previous owner tank mixed which is fine by me because i dont really trust pre-oilers anyway. However, the oil pump is still in, and i would like to take it out and seal it off. Does anybody have any insight on doing this on this or any other bike? Tips, hints, problems run across etc. do i just pull the pump out and seal up the holes? am i missing something else? any info is greatly appreciated guys. thanks

Old 06-03-2010 | 06:16 AM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!

Welcome to the forum 86zuk!

I have removed many of them and have done as you described...plugged the holes in the cases...I also make a cover plate to cover the hole left by the pump...

Old 06-03-2010 | 08:18 AM
|
Trailblazer

i was looking at an exploded view of the pump, it kinda looks like theres a shaft that comes through the crankcase that drives the oil pump, will that have to come out too, or am i looking at the picture wrong? thanks for your help!

Old 06-04-2010 | 06:06 AM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!

If you pull out the pump and the shaft is loose(would fall out)you would need to pull out the shaft also..

Old 06-04-2010 | 08:11 AM
|
Trailblazer

i see now how it goes together, my friend has one apart that i looked at last night. i was looking at the picture and the shaft seemed longer than it is. I will also have to take off the gear on the inside of the case... no big deal.

thanks for all your help!

Old 06-05-2010 | 05:55 AM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!

Originally Posted by 86zuk
i see now how it goes together, my friend has one apart that i looked at last night. i was looking at the picture and the shaft seemed longer than it is. I will also have to take off the gear on the inside of the case... no big deal.

thanks for all your help!
Glad you figured it out...

Old 06-15-2010 | 06:46 PM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.

My Wife? Isn't there a hose that you need to place a ball bearing into somewhere? I did the same with my son's blaster a few years ago. I also have a vintage 180 in my shed with less than 2 hour sof run time on it. Still has the nubbs on the knobbies. I did have to replace my tank though. They had a steel tank on it, and it rusted inside. Talk about an easy fix. Maier has a plastic replacement that is an exact copy. Add a yamaha sticker kit and you wouldn't know the difference. Much less hassle. I plan on converting it as well, if I ever get time to ride again. Witht the bum leg, I can't kick it over any more though, so it will probably get handed down to my youngest son. I originally bougt it for my daughter. She rode it once, crashed in a mud puddle, and refused to get on it again. I did make HER drag it out of the puddle though. I guess that was an expensive 20 mintues of laughter.

Old 06-24-2010 | 09:31 AM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!

Originally Posted by Dragginbutt
My Wife? Isn't there a hose that you need to place a ball bearing into somewhere? I did the same with my son's blaster a few years ago. I also have a vintage 180 in my shed with less than 2 hour sof run time on it. Still has the nubbs on the knobbies. I did have to replace my tank though. They had a steel tank on it, and it rusted inside. Talk about an easy fix. Maier has a plastic replacement that is an exact copy. Add a yamaha sticker kit and you wouldn't know the difference. Much less hassle. I plan on converting it as well, if I ever get time to ride again. Witht the bum leg, I can't kick it over any more though, so it will probably get handed down to my youngest son. I originally bougt it for my daughter. She rode it once, crashed in a mud puddle, and refused to get on it again. I did make HER drag it out of the puddle though. I guess that was an expensive 20 mintues of laughter.
If you remove everything...pump, hoses, etc... you usually only need to plug where the line went into the cases...

Nice to see you back posting again... hope you been busy riding!