Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Crab Flats:Lake Arrowhead. So. Cal

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2003, 01:29 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crab Flats:Lake Arrowhead. So. Cal

Originally posted by: reconranger
BearDown-Do you have a set of Off-Highway Vehicle Maps??? There is a set of 3, one covering the Cajon Pass area, one covering Silverwood Lake to Big Pine FLats, and one covering Cactus Flats. Call the National Forest Discovery Center at Big Bear and they will send you a set-- http://www.bigbeardiscoverycenter.com/ You can also order them by seeing San Bernardino National Forest web site-- http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/sanbernardin...way/index.html -- click maps and brochures. They also usually have them at the staging areas (Miller Canyon, Pinnacles, and Cactus Flats). Look for a metal box with a cover on it.

Anybody been sound checked yet?????????????

The Ranger did give my an offroad map showing where I can and Can not go. Pretty cool map and help out to plan out your day! How is the Pinnacles? We are planning to ride during the week and would like to try out as many spots as we can.

Old 05-29-2003, 10:29 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have not ridden the Pinnacles trails in a while (like back when there was still snow on the ground). Hope to ride this weekend??? With the heavy late season rains we had, I am expecting some spots to be washed out. One thing that happens, is that the dirt bikes run down the middle of the trail and leave a groove. On the quad you have to stradle the groove, or you can get a wheel low and roll the quad. Don't get lost!

Old 05-29-2003, 04:18 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Beardown,

I just missed you. I was at Crab Flats Mon.-Wed. I thought I could avoid the heat going to the mountains but it was still kinda hot. You can now make reservations to camp at Crab Flats. Check out http://www.reserveusa.com/ We were the only people in the campground other than the host. Another option is Tent Peg group camp. Tent Peg has a new $6000 pit toilet. You can have groups of up to 40 people. At $50 a night it's not to bad and nobody is around to tell you when to be quit.

Woodo

Old 06-01-2003, 07:00 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!

Chris-No more water crossing. We were at the Deep Creek crossing today, and the rangers said it was going to be a DOUBLE ARCH BRIDGE!! He said it was all being done for the dirt bikes, not the fishermen. The paving blocks that were there were held together by cables and fasterners. The bikes were getting caught in the cables and getting flats from the fasteners, and the water was to deep for them.

I always love the circus at the crossing!

Old 06-02-2003, 12:38 AM
Pro Rider

Huh, I cant see the forestry dept caring much about flats on dirt bikes or guys falling over and getting wet. Maybe they dont want the word out that the greens whined so much that they had to build a bridge.

Whatever the answer is be glad that we can still go up there and it's still gonna be open.