Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Crab Flats:Lake Arrowhead. So. Cal

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2003, 01:16 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crab Flats:Lake Arrowhead. So. Cal

Hey guys just wanted to pass on the info. on this riding area. My wife and I got our bikes two weeks ago and went out on our first ride and decided to do some camping and riding. We went to Crab Flats in Lake Arrowhead. There are about 4 trails (2 expert: really Hard trails, 1 scenic wilderness trail and a long flat dirt trail which you can ride for about 2 hours). Campgrounds are excellent but a very bumpy road to get there and a large creek you need to drive through. Great place.

Old 05-24-2003, 03:06 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As of last Monday they are closing 3n34 at Deep Creek. They are paving the crossing to make the greens happy. Said it would be closed for a month. Something about the dirt that gets stirred up in the water was killin the fish.

I can leave my back door and ride up there from home [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] 2 hrs if I go up 3n14 and run 4n16 to 3n34 or 1 hour if I go up hwy173 to the Pinnacles staging area and go in that way.

Old 05-24-2003, 03:11 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where is crab flats? I have been to the Pinnacles staging area at the end of 173 and riden down to deep creek. Is crab flats around there?

Old 05-24-2003, 03:53 PM
Pro Rider

After you cross the water the road (3n34 and is gnarley!) goes up towards Big Bear. Once you get out of the bad roads you are in Crab flats.

Gimme a minute and I'll post a link

Old 05-24-2003, 04:08 PM
Pro Rider

http://www.4x44u.com/pub/k2/am4x44u/...bear/crabflat/

Prolly have to cut and paste this.

Old 05-26-2003, 11:39 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!

You can do "remote" camping in the area (if Crab Flats or Big Pine Flats campgrounds are full, which they often are). I prefer a couple of miles in on 3n34 from Pinnacles. You can also camp in the Pinnacles staging area, but there is NO SHADE!

Anybody know if Pinnacles has water yet???

Old 05-26-2003, 11:57 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: reconranger

Anybody know if Pinnacles has water yet???
Didn't have water when I was there 2 weeks ago. Do they just need to open up the manhole and turn it on? Or is there other problems?

Old 05-27-2003, 10:15 AM
Red Rider

BearDown-Do you have a set of Off-Highway Vehicle Maps??? There is a set of 3, one covering the Cajon Pass area, one covering Silverwood Lake to Big Pine FLats, and one covering Cactus Flats. Call the National Forest Discovery Center at Big Bear and they will send you a set-- http://www.bigbeardiscoverycenter.com/ You can also order them by seeing San Bernardino National Forest web site-- http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/sanbernardin...way/index.html -- click maps and brochures. They also usually have them at the staging areas (Miller Canyon, Pinnacles, and Cactus Flats). Look for a metal box with a cover on it.

Anybody been sound checked yet?????????????

Old 05-27-2003, 01:10 PM
Red Rider

Chris-Are they just putting in more blocks at the creek crossing, like they already have?? Will we still get to ride across the water?? Up by Seven Oaks on the Santa Ana River, they put in bridges and ruined all our fun. Still, I am willing to help the fishermen out if that is necessary.

Old 05-27-2003, 05:09 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: reconranger
Chris-Are they just putting in more blocks at the creek crossing, like they already have?? Will we still get to ride across the water?? Up by Seven Oaks on the Santa Ana River, they put in bridges and ruined all our fun. Still, I am willing to help the fishermen out if that is necessary.
Mr.Ranger told me they were gonna pave the crossing. He said it's not a bridge so We will still get wet, just wont be a dirt bottom.

Quick Reply: Crab Flats:Lake Arrowhead. So. Cal