Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

La. Dunes Riders.

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2003, 01:07 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default La. Dunes Riders.

someone aught to check out and see if there are any closed sand or gravel pits that are closed and foe sale down hwy 16 heading to amite. I know about 6 months or so ago there was a real nice place i saw that was for sale

Old 06-16-2003, 01:37 PM
Range Rover

What i think we need to do is start up a riding club with everyone in the forums. We need to all get together somewhere and get some ideas of what everyone wants in a place to ride. Then we need to have some fund raisers or get some people or buisnesses to sponsor our club. After we have all this established we need to look for land somewhere, we can purchase or lease to start a new riding area that doesn't cost someone $50 just to go ridefor a weekend. I think with all the people that are in these forums plus all the other people everyone else knows we could make this happen. We just all need decide if we want a new place to ride or if wanna keep complaining about there not being enough places to ride and keep shelling out our money to greedy owners like barney at the dunes. Lets do something about it.

Old 06-16-2003, 01:43 PM
Pro Rider

I just posted the same in the louisiana riders thread . About starting a not for profit getting gov to pay us to improve riding areas and eventually pay is to maintain and run places to ride in our great state generate income for us and etc.... I have a good friend in Tx who can help with information if we can get the ball rolling .

Old 06-16-2003, 02:55 PM
Pro Rider

Someone need to remind him that LA Dunes is still ONLY 300 or so acres... I dont care if it is sand or not...

Old 06-16-2003, 03:22 PM
Pro Rider

There are many things we should remind Barney of.I believe the Dunes are about 450 acres but on top of it being small it sucks.....The Dunes need new managment...If the right people had that place, that were out there to enjoy it and not to make them selves a millionaire, that could be a very nice place...After the 28th I will not be going back until some stuff changes...Plus I am not going to spend 100 bucks to go ride at the Dunes for me and my wife....I live in Pollock La. which is right outside of Alexandria and I know of about three other sets of pits around here and one that you can ride on for free, I am not sure of the size b/c I have never been there but I will find out from my buddy that grew up there.

Old 06-16-2003, 06:02 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Does anyone know who the actual owner of the dunes is? Or is Barney the owner? The problem with getting another area is money. Then the insurance is expensive. I love riding in the sand. I would hate to have to find another area to ride. We tried awhile back to let Barney know what we think on his website. But nothing has happened. Something needs to change.

Old 06-16-2003, 07:03 PM
Pro Rider

Barney is not the Owner....He just leases the property....I am in the process of get the name of the guy

Old 06-16-2003, 07:24 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Maybe the owner, will understand us.

Old 06-16-2003, 08:48 PM
Range Rover

Ok, guys, I am in right now for the SELA ATV Club. I am going Wed. just north of Baywood, La. on Greenwell Springs Road.. there is a GIANT closed pit there on the Comite river (I think) I rode past it for many years going back and forth to my hunting club on La 43. I mean it takes 6-8 minutes to ride past it at 55 mph on the highway. All those trucks you used to see going back and forth from Lafayette to Baton Rouge hauling sand and gravel, thats where they were headed. I will try to get the name of the guy that owns it.

I think with about 40 core members, if we approached a landowner as a responsible group that is looking for a ride area we can tend to and care about, and are willing to start a small non-profit organization to protect each of us and the landowner from liability, then I am sure we will find someone willing to work with us.. I spoke to one of my buddys today, and just bounced a figure off of him.. "would you be willing to pay say 100 dollars a year, to be a member of a club with about 40 - 60 core members. Just like a hunting club, if we have guests, there would be small fee to offset costs. Maybe 5 bucks a day and 10 bucks per night if we put in water and electricity for RVs. Just some ideas..

Again, Im in, and have about 6 regular riding buddies that would be in too. Maybe its time for a meeting over a beer or three and get everybody to work looking for some property.. Another place I will look is all along Greenwell Springs Road on the EAST side that floods. It is generally not buildable for any permanent buildings, but would be great for RVs and camping.. Alot of that property has some pretty good washes and gullys to make the trails interesting, some great nasty mud holes for the 4 bys and then some sections have some great beaches...

I think we have to present it to a prospective landowner that we are the same as a group of hunters that want to lease their property..

A) Organized
B) Willing to pay a reasonable lease
C) Will take care of their property (no littering or cutting of live trees without his permission)
D) We will provide an ample liablity insurance policy
E) I think it would definitely an advantage to find property next to a river somewhere, as everytime it floods, it would repair holes, erosion damage, etc..

What do yall think?

Shane Evans

Old 06-16-2003, 08:50 PM
Range Rover

How bout somebody start a new thread and post it here so we can avoid being charged for TALKING about somethings on the LA Dunes thread.

lol

Quick Reply: La. Dunes Riders.