Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Western Wisconsin?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2003, 08:52 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Western Wisconsin?

Does anybody ride in the western part of Wisconsin? I have several questions. I live waay down south but visit this part of the country every summer. I see all the snowmobile trails and always thought it would be cool to explore them on a fourwheeler. I asked some locals (non riders) and they said that lots of the trails are off limits to atv's. They said some are marked for dual use though. I recall seeing a sign on a dirt road near the Namekagan River that said "ATV ROUTE" so it must be legal in some areas. Also, when we were sitting at the ice cream place in Danbury we saw dozens of atv's pull off some trail and ride right up to the gas station. Someone told me it was like an old railroad or something and you could go almost to Canada on it. Is this just for 4 wheelers or would dirtbikes be OK too?
Is there any equipment other than a spark arrestor required? Do you have to have a sticker or permit? I just bought a Raptor 660 and 2 TTR125's for my boys and would love to bring them this summer and do some riding. I know this is a lot of questions but I figure that of the 100 or so 4-wheelers I saw last there last July....1 of them must have a computer.
Thanks for any reply.

Old 06-05-2003, 12:18 AM
Range Rover

I don't think you can ride dirt bikes on it.
The trail I think you are speaking of is the Gandy Dancer. It's an old railroad bed that goes most of the way up to Superior, WI which is right on Lake Superior.
Can't go much further north in that part of Wisconsin.

There's a bunch of places ot jump on the Gandy, but the trails off the Gandy is where the fun is. Gandy is long, straight and boring. Lookup St. Croix State Forest on http://dnr.state.mn.us and you should find all the trails you desire.

Good Luck

Old 06-05-2003, 09:54 AM
Pro Rider

i used to live in Somerset wi that is about an hour or so south of danbury i went ridng in danbury a couple of times but i usuall go up to dairyland. the trail that you are talking about is the gandy dancer.

Old 06-05-2003, 10:48 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the replies. The name Gandy Dancer does sound familiar. Odd how a trail thru those beautiful woods could be boring but I guess if it all looks the same for miles and miles it could get old. I'm thinking Danbury to Superior is only about 50 miles by road so I may try it on the trail in August.

Old 06-05-2003, 08:00 PM
Pro Rider

I was up there once until my friend sunk his kitty after 15 miles. The short trip was decent. Depending what kind of riding you like Birchwood is about an hour east and and is the start of the Tuscobia trail, another rail grade. It goes over to park falls with alot of turn offs. I kind of like that area can find mud on the side trails.

Old 06-05-2003, 09:14 PM
Trailblazer

I checked the website for the Tuscobia and it does look interesting. I'm not looking for mud though since I will be riding with an 8yr old and 11yr old and they are on two-wheelers. I'd like a ride that is easy on them but scenic enough to make it enjoyable for me. We have a family cabin on a lake about 15 miles north of Danbury and I'd love to find trails in that area. Tuscobia did say motorcycles are permitted but didn't mention anything about permits or green stickers or anything.

Old 06-05-2003, 10:48 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Black River Falls is always fun.

Old 06-07-2003, 10:09 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hi There
I am from Illinois and ride quite a bit in Wisconsin.Most of our riding has been in the southern to central part of the state but we recently bought some land in the Northern part of the state so will be checking out more trails up there now too.
For Northern Wisconsin I can tell you that what little bit I have rode the trails it was excelent.We stayed at a campground in Iron River and could access the trail system from there.We mainly rode from Iron River to Washburn (look on map) but if I remember right the trail branches off to Port Wing, Cornucopia and maybe even a couple of other towns.It is a nice scenic route that you and your kids would enjoy, from what I remember anyhow.
We also stayed at a place in Mellen Wisconsin one time and rode the trails from there to Hurley which was an excellent ride also.
Some other places we have rode trails in the central/Northern part of the state are
ParkFalls area (Great Trails)
Black River Falls (usually lots of water/real sandy)
I am going to send you a link to check out that will help you with most of your questions.If it doesn't answer all of them you can contact one of the people listed on site for help.
Hope I helped you at least a little with all my babbling.
www.watva.org/atvnwwi.htm
C,Ya

Old 06-07-2003, 01:37 PM
Pro Rider

I once was told that DS 650's are not legal in wisconsin. Is this true. I cant hardly balive this unles there was some sort of width limit. I would like to check out wisconsin some time but dont want to drive that far if im going to be sent home for having to wide of machine. Is there any out of state registration ineed to get before coming? Thanks for any info.

Old 06-07-2003, 11:26 PM
Elite Pro Rider

I've been around a lot of DS's there, and never any hassles.