Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Sproul PA Riding area

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2000, 11:13 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can anyone tell me what the trails are like here?
May be riding there on June 4th.
Thanks

98 SC 500

Old 05-27-2000, 07:53 AM
Pro Rider

EasterEgg,

It is a lot of strip mines with a few hill climbs. One bit of sound advise, though. MAKE SURE YOU TAKE A MAP WITH YOU when you go riding. You can get lost VERY easily up there.

Old 05-27-2000, 10:56 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks Mike
Would hate to be lost on my gas hog.
I will ask around the club (NYTRO) and see if anyone has one. If not can you get them at the trail head?

Nice web site. Also love Cochranton. Missed this year first one in 6 yrs.

98 SC 500

Old 05-27-2000, 11:39 PM
Trailblazer

Not sure, where is Sproul PA located on map?

Old 05-28-2000, 07:39 AM
Pro Rider

EasterEgg,

The maps are available through either the district office or the PA DCNR. E-mail me directly and I'll give you the link to the Pa DCNR page.

Thanks for the comment on our pages. I would have liked Cochranton better if my Sport would have held up. Nearest I can figure, I cold seized a piston on my Sport. The only good thing was that at least it broke down on a road instead of the middle of the woods. Still I did get to ride trail A on Celeste's Trailblazer. Not as much fun but it sure beats walking or missing out on the event.

t1602,

It is directly north of you in the Sproul State Forest in Clinton county. It's near the town of Renova,Pa. It should be around 100 miles from you.

Old 05-30-2000, 11:54 PM
Pro Rider

I've got a few pics on my page from there but no action shots. There are some really great hillclimb areas including "the pit". Do take a map...you'll need it! It's also very pretty there and a great place to camp...take a camera. Look for the older couple with the poodles on the back of their'4x4's...they go there all the time and can show you the ropes.

Old 06-01-2000, 04:23 AM
Pro Rider

EXtreme,

Yeah, I met the "Poodle People" there last year. The guy was a professor who taught at Penn State. Really nice people! They always moved over for us faster riders when we were behind them. People like that are a credit to our sport!

Old 06-09-2000, 10:34 AM
Pro Rider

Greetings,

The Trails section of this site list three riding areas accessible to me: Martin Hill (Bedford County), Rays Hill (Fulton County), and Michoux (Adams/Cumberland Counties). Have any of you guys from PA ridden any of these trails?

Incidentally, I grew up in Hollidaysburg (where every day is a holidy and Christmas is just another day) and still have a farm outside of Orbisonia. While there's nothing really notable about riding in the area (like swamps, giant hills, or fast tracks), its real live-and-let-live regarding ATVs. We just ride the roads and trails without hassle. Everyone has at least one ATV so its sort of just part of the landscape. Very cool.

Old 06-10-2000, 09:19 AM
Pro Rider

DrRod,

I've ridden the trails at Michaux and Fulton county.

Michaux is VERY well marked, almost as good as the national forest trails. However, the terrain there is unremarkable. No big hills or mud. The hardest trails are fairly challenging, but I could still make it over them on Celeste's 2X4 Trailblazer.

Fulton county is a waste of time, trust me! It took me about two hours just to find the place and then it was so poorly marked, I was lost most of the time. I had a map with me but still couldn't make out the trail in many places. I was an expert in land navigation when I was in the service, but I was throughly lost on this trail. Once every mile or two you might see an arrow pointing the trail out, other than that you are lost. I didn't want some gung-ho ranger writing me a ticket for riding where I wasn't supposed to, so after blundering into my truck, I left, never to return. The terrain there was also unremarkable.

Visit my web site and see page 2 for pictures on Michaux. Click on the link below my name.