Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Cheese Country Trails, WI Ticket!

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2003, 08:35 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cheese Country Trails, WI Ticket!

Cheese County is a multi-use trail which means you will encounter Horseback Riders, Mountain Bikers, Hikers, Golf Carts, Go-Carts, Motorcycles, and ATVs.

I can confirm they are very strict and do enforce the rules and personally I have to agree with this. Sections of the trail run through residential areas right through someones backyard. Imagine if you have some little kids out there playing or having to be the land owner dealing with a dust storm and the noise all the time. Give them a little respect and it will go a long way. Might even keep this trail system open for a little while longer.

I have personally witnessed people getting tickets for the following items:

Sound - Should have stock muffler w/ spark arrestor or atleast something that isn't extremly loud. I have seen people get by with aftermarket pipes but it shouldn't be totally annoying like some of them can be. I'm sure you all know the type. This is fine for a race track or out in the middle of nowhere but this isn't that type of system. It is multi-use and very family oriented.

Speed - Limit is 30MPH for the system, areas of 10MPH around town or residential, and 15MPH on the bridges.

Off Trail Riding - Has some tempting areas where people have gone off the trail. This will result in the trail being closed for good if it keeps up. The is a shame because there was talk about expanding the trail to go to Madison, WI or connecting into Freeport, IL. The city of Monroe is one of the most quad friendly I have seen around this area. You can ride your quad in the city of Monroe to/from the local areas stores as long as you maintain your speed and stay on the marked ATV routes. This of course won't last because you get people up there that don't respect and follow the rules as they are setup and ruin it for everyone else. You know the type. They think they own the place and it might as well be their own personal land to do with what they please. Litter, Tear it up, Whatever comes to mind at the time.

Stickers/Registration - Should have WI State Registration. They will honor registration from other states but I have found that this will depend on the officer that stops you. I feel it is best to give WI the 12$ for two years and think of it as a donation for use of the very well maintained trail system.

I was personally stopped on two occasions. Once for speeding. I couldn't believe a cop was off in the woods with a radar gun on the ATV trail. Managed to work around getting a ticket and get off with a warning after explaining my side of the story.

The second time was a registration check.

Old 09-08-2003, 09:35 PM
Trailblazer

jpoggi660r

Thanks alot for your imput on this topic. You could not have said it any better than you did. That trail is a nice trail to ride, if you just want to get out a tool around. That's what I do. There may not be much diversity in the riding, but it is scenic, and the small businesses on the trail really are friendly and benefit greatly from its' users. The Tri-County ATV Club has worked hard to develope and maintain this trail system, and I too, would like to see it stay open and expanded to other areas. This is the only trail that I can drive to within a half-hour of my home, do alittle riding, and get drive back home without making a big expedition of it.

Thanks again for your support of the trail use rules!

koolkodiak

Old 09-08-2003, 10:50 PM
Trailblazer

I went over on the Cheese trail right after I purchased my Scrambler and I agree that it is a nice scenic area to ride on with a good flat surface. But sadly I have to say that I was kinda unimpressed by it too becuase it is so flat with a limited amount of turns and bumps and jumps that are actually on the trail system. ( I didn't go off the system becuase it was muddy at the time and really didn't feel like destroying someone else's property). I am used to riding the Jackson and Clark county systems were there are wooptie doos and a variety of conditions ranging from sand and gravel to mud and hard pack dirt.

I am not trying to downplay the Cheese trail becaase alot of people I know go over there and have a blast but it was not the kinda of riding I am used to. Anything that can be done to improve the sport and increase the riding areas is great.