Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Please Don't Pitty Me, But Hear Me Out.-NY

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2003, 04:33 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please Don't Pitty Me, But Hear Me Out.-NY

Hi. ANGEL2k3. I have a 7 year old great little guy who loves outdoors. He has cerebral palsy due to a very premature birth trauma. I am considering getting a 4 wheeler for him. He has outgrown the battery operated kids vehicles. I read your post and I know exactly how you feel. I want my son to be able to experience the outdoors too. There are so many places we just can't take the wheelchair. He can drive a 4 wheeler but can't operator his manual wheelchair (mild left hand impairment). So, the AVT will get him a little bit of independence (no more than 5mph worth) :-) No speeding yet! Anyway, even though you were frustrated about not being able to take your ATV where you would like to, your email was an inspiration to me. I feel like I might be doing the right thing here. I had some doubts regarding safety and stuff but I think he needs this. He also watches his friends on their 2 wheel bikes and skateboards wishing he could enjoy the outdoors like that. So, I just wanted to say I liked your post. I think I need to put something in for back support and a strap so he doesn't slide off. Any suggestions or ideas?
Terri, Mom to Casey

Old 11-29-2003, 06:52 AM
Trailblazer

Hello abgel..welcome to the site//perhapsu could regester ur wheeler in a state that allows that,,Pa?..Ca?...there have been several articals about street legal quads...just a thought

Old 12-01-2003, 04:54 PM
Trailblazer

Hey Angel..... Welcome to the site. I live out on Long Island, and although I am not handicapped, I do have problems riding legally. I couldn't agree with you more. All the dealerships on this Island, hold town and state meetings every month, but to no avail. The bottom line is NY (Long Island espicially) has too many tree huggers, and liberals to ever let us have ONE piece of property to ride legally. If you get caught anywhere out here, they not only impound your machine, truck, and trailer, but they slap you with so many fines, you will quickly grow to hate the state. I will keep my eyes peeled for some info for you. On a different note...... I did find a place in PA where you can ride on 7 different tracks. It's called TRAXX @ Jack Frost Ski Mountain. It's $35.00 for a day pass on all 7 tracks. The site is www.jfbb.com go to Summer activities, then Motocross traxx. Hurry though, they close end of December... Good luck!!!!!

Old 01-25-2004, 01:11 PM
Range Rover

Glad to hear from another handicapped rider. Not to say that i'm glad that you are handicapped. I have a little trouble getting around myself due to an L1-T12 spinal injury 22 years ago. Had to give up motorcycles & trail bikes. Discovered quads 10 years ago. After modifing a Suzuki 230 auto-clutch to accommodate my limitations, I discovered Polaris. Auto trans, hand shifter, hand brake, floorboards. No modifications needed, although I did extensively modify my Scrambler 400 trying to keep up with Banshees. Now I have a V-force as well as three Scramblers and a Yamaha Breeze (also automatic) for the lady friends daughter.

Several states allow street use of atvs. California (my state) is not one of them. I have long recognized the injustice of the current widespread discrimination against atvs. The root of the problem is tree-huggers like the Sierra Club. The only solution is political. We must elect atv-friendly politicians at every level - city, county, state and federal. We must organize to defend our rights. And we must become involved in organizations such as Blue Ribbon Coalition, CORVA, and AMA. Probably wouldn't hurt to inflitrate the Sierra Club. But until we can change the laws, don't ride in the street - that will hurt you and the sport. Now I feel better. Used your thread to vent my own frustrations.