Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Anywhere to Ride near South Houston??

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2003, 09:28 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anywhere to Ride near South Houston??

Just wondering ya'll. I live in Santa Fe, TX. It is south west of Houston. Anything around this are to ride in?

Old 11-24-2003, 06:53 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Marty,
I don't know of any riding places on your side of H'town, but I'm familiar with many areas on the north side of H'town b/c I live near Conroe.

Here's a few suggestions for you. A few months ago, I met a few guys from Clear Lake while riding at Dirt Dogs ATV park near Columbus, TX (go to www.dirtdogtrails.com for more info). Its about an hour west of Houston. You might also try the trails at Crosby/Highlands (east of Houston). I went mudding there about 1 month ago and had fun...except for the large BANANA SPIDERS that were everywhere. I hate spiders, so I probably won't go back. There are some great riding areas on the north side, but they will be off limits as of 1/1/04 due to the new law that bans ATVs from most Texas rivers. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

If you hear of some good riding areas around H'town (especially on your side of town), please let me know as I'm always looking for a new place to ride.

Happy trails...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 11-24-2003, 08:28 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the info Mikey.

I found a web site of a place near Houston that looks like it might be pretty good. Check it out.
The web site for this place looks pretty good. I haven't been there yet. But I plan to go sometime.

Spring Creek ATV Park

Old 11-25-2003, 01:14 PM
Pro Rider

Marty,
Thanx for sending me that link to Spring Creek ATV park. Actually, this place is just one of the 2 main parking areas to access the wooded trails along Spring Creek. The other parking area is located about 2 miles upstream and thats where I normally park. Both places access the same trails along the creek and these trails are lots of fun.

Actually, Spring Creek trails is one of the great riding spots on the north side as mentioned in my post above. I've been going to these trails for about 6 months now. Unfortunately, I believe this riding area (Spring Creek trails) may be affected by the new law that bans ATVs and Jeeps on most TX rivers/streams as of 1/1/04. So if you want to go, you should go before the end of this year! Hopefully, it doesn't meet the definition of a "navigable river or stream" under the new law (this term will apply to Spring Creek if its 30 feet wide at its mouth - but I don't know how wide it is at the mouth).

The other great riding area on the north side is the portion of San Jac river located between hwy 242 (near The Woodlands) and hwy 59 (near Humble). I've been riding there a little more than 2 years now and its the best riding spot in the Houston area IMO. Personally, I've ridden 15 miles one way from the parking area near 242 (when the river is low that is). However, I've heard you can ride all the way to hwy 59 (near Humble) when the river is really low. Unfortunately, this area will definitely be off limits as of 1/1/04, so you must ride there before the end of this year if you want to go at all. Just like Spring Creek, this riding area is best when the river is low and is impassible when the river is high.

The new law is a real bummer. I wrote my representatives and Gov. Perry before the new law was passed, but it did not do any good. They passed it anyway. The new law does allow local river authorities or the local counties to open the riding areas again in exchange for charging a fee to each ATV rider...but there's no guarantee this will ever happen. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] I am now thinking about contacting the San Jac river authority to inquire about the possibility that they will open up the San Jac river area (and Spring Creek trails) to ATVs for a fee. However, I suspect my request will fall on deaf ears.

Happy trails...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 01-19-2004, 10:22 PM
Weekend Warrior

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] Just wondering if Spring Creek is still open since the new law about the rivers went into place? Any information on this would be nice.

Old 01-19-2004, 10:39 PM
Trailblazer

As far as I know it is still open.

Old 01-20-2004, 12:55 AM
Pro Rider

Linerider,
Spring Creek ATV park is still open on the weekends (despite the new law coming into effect on 1/1/04). Jake's Mud hole (aka GW's) is also open. Both places offer parking and access to the trails along Spring Creek.

According to another atv forum that I participate on, lots of folks are still riding this creek with the hope that local law enforcement will not enforce the new law there. Its not clear whether or not the new law applies to Spring Creek (it must be a "navigable river or stream" for the new law to apply and the law defines it as a river/stream that retains an avg. width of 30' or more). I have not gone down there yet b/c I want to wait a while and see whether the fuzz will start enforcing the new law or not (the fine is up to $500 for violating the new law if you are caught).

Old 01-20-2004, 10:52 PM
Weekend Warrior

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] Well, I may take a run down there, but the risk of a $500.00 fine will make a guy a little nervous. Thanks for the information on this place to ride.