Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Big Aspen Trail System, Virginia, MN

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2000, 08:32 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anybody ever ridden the Big Aspen Trail system? I might run those trailsand I am looking for some info on what to expect whne we get there.

Old 06-20-2000, 09:51 AM
Trailblazer

You have picked a very good place to ride! I live 15 min. from there, and have ridden through there a couple of times. a nice ride from there would be to go west on the snowmobile trail to Side Lake, (stop at Bimbo's for some great hot wings!) or go at least to the Wooden Table on hwy 25. If you just stay in Britt, the Voyageurs Resort on Sand Lake has good food and lodging. Tell John (the owner) that Pete from Cook sent you. (we have our ice races there)
Another good ride is back into Virginia, LOTS of water! Most of this riding is a lot more fun with someone who knows the area, as there are many sights to see that a "guest" won't know about... Give me a call if you come up here, I'll be glad to show you around. 1-218-666-3188, leave message if I'm not around.

Pete Niska
99'Scrambler 400 96'Express 300

Old 06-20-2000, 10:46 AM
Range Rover

i have not personally riden there but have a few friends that do and they like it alot.....have you ever riden by the town of nickerson(spelling?)...its a few miles(10-15) n.e. of hinckley,mn....i've been there once for a short ride and really like the trails, but i only rode for a short time...don't know how large the trail systems is or any type of camping facilities but the trails were great....i used to ride enduros in this area before...just wondering if you know about this area?

Old 06-20-2000, 11:16 AM
Range Rover

i used to deer hunt in holyoke which is 15 miles up the road from nickerson. there are tons of trails up there. the nemadji state forest has about 40 total miles of trails and the st. croix state forest has about 25-30. the gandy dancer trail connects the two and it makes for a quick ride from one forest tot he other. also there is a ton of potlatch land that the company opens to the public for hunting and riding. i have logged many miles in that area. i would suggest that you never ride alone in that area. the terrain is very soft and you can be up to your eye ***** in trouble really fast. i would suggest that you always ride with a buddy and make sure at least one of you has a winch. there is a lot of clay in the soil so tow straps are not really helpful. the person pulling usually just spins his tires. the clay never wants to surrender a stuck machine. if i had a dollar for every person i have come across that is alone and stuck like no other i would be a rich man. have fun.

Old 06-20-2000, 11:22 AM
Range Rover

there is camping in the nemadji state forsest but they only have 9 spots so call ahead. i actually bought the machine i have now because of those trails. i bought a king quad because i was always getting stuck on my honda. ( i am not badmouthing honda, just stating the facts) i got a king quad for the locking front diff. it makes a world of difference. oh, another bit of advice, don't get gas at banning junction. it is always really expensive. the amoco in nickerson is always about a dime cheaper.

Old 06-20-2000, 01:34 PM
Range Rover

thanks for the info i think were heading up in that area on july 1-2...thanks again

Old 06-24-2000, 10:11 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks too. I may also be in the area around that time on my way home? will have to check my map.Going to print.

Old 06-25-2000, 04:56 PM
Range Rover

just thought i would drop a line about the big aspen trails........

i rode them on friday with a buddy and we were very unhappy with them. not only were the trails kind of boring but i have never seen so much broken glass on a trail system before. there is absolutely no challenge to riding these trails and somebody had a heck of a party in there because there were broken beer bottles everywhere.