Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

permission

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2003, 08:18 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default permission

hey guys,
there are some awesome sand pits near me that all my friends ride in, and the closest legal place is over half an hour. so, i was hoping to get landowner permission. i know that none of my friends have permission and that cops have dirtbikes and will usually chase them for a bit, until they give up. but, seeing as i am not entirely confident in my ability to get away, i havent gone riding here, but my friend says the pits are awesome. do you guys have any suggestions of what i should do to get landowner permission? i know that the owner isn't thrilled that people ride there, but i was thinking it was worth a shot to ask first? thanks in advance, anything will help, what you did to get permission, whatever. thanks!

Old 11-26-2003, 09:53 PM
Pro Rider
Default permission

It never hurts to ask, you never know he might respect that fact that you asked first and let you. The reason people dont want anyone riding on there land usually is damage, hunting, or the fact that the land owner could get sued if someone gets hurt. Having respect for the land owners wishes is key for keeping a riding area. The area that I ride at, I dont have "permission" but I did talk to the owner and he said that he could wouldn't run me off but he couldnt give permission, that way if I get hurt I can't sue.

Old 12-08-2003, 04:43 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default permission

I own 20 acres and we have a small track my son and his friends built. As of right now, there is only one person allowed by me (other than my sons friends, and then only when he is there) to ride on my property. The only reason this person is allowed to ride here is because he asked. At first, he asked every time he wanted to ride, then i told him he didn't need to ask anymore, i explained the rules to him, he follows the rules every time, and is dilligent about closing and locking the gate we had to install to keep everyone else out. I will stop at NOTHING to catch those who ride on my property without asking...the first time you get a verbal warning (mostly to explain why they can't ride there)...the next time i'll verbally rip your head off...luckily there hasn't been a third time for anyone yet, and most people respect the rules after the first time...i guess the others are just "slow learners" :-)

So go and ask politely, explain that you haven't ridden there yet, but would like to. The worst the owner can do is say no.

Old 12-10-2003, 06:07 PM
Pro Rider
Default permission

I've heard it said that it's easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission, but this IS NOT the case with ATV's. Go with mathey's advice.

Old 12-10-2003, 06:15 PM
Trailblazer
Default permission

I am going to guess that we are referring to Gagnons pit off of Mammoth RD. I used to ride there as a kid occasionally. The only problem with asking permission from the old coot. Is that he will say no. Been proven a few times over the years. And not only that, once he knows he told you know he will chase you down and kill you for doing it(Not literally). I'd say ask, but then you must respect his wishes. And thats the most important thing, is to respect his wishes.