Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Anyone near Cincinnati, Oh.?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2004, 12:38 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone near Cincinnati, Oh.?

Originally posted by: eiger2
Hey grgb, how about a review of each of these areas. You seem to been to all the local spots.

WNF Athens District - We ride here the most as it is only about 125 miles from our door, and is our local favorite. There are about 90 miles of trails here to ride offering something for just about every type of riding style and skill level. Night riding is allowed. Free camping anywhere in the forest so you can pack it in if you want, or camp in the parking lot.(pit toilets) No water or electric. There are also two different camp grounds with electric and showers. You can ride right from your camper/tent to the trails.

BigRock - Only been there once.(what can I say? I'm cheap) Pay to Play. About 2000 acres and lots of challanges. When I was there it was raining and very muddy.

S-Tree and Turkey Foot - One of the first places I went and I still love it. Very clean Free campground with pit toilets. No Water or electric. The campsites are gravel and are very well drained. Camping in the rain is no problem here. The legal trails are limited to a few dozen miles or so, but you can still see where the old ones were. Not the biggest or the best but some beautiful views of the country.

WindRock - The jewel of Tennessee. I have only been there once, but I am in awe of this place. I plan on going here at least twice this year. 72,000 acres and hundreds of miles of trails to ride, stunning views, friendly people. Free camping at the base of the mountain. No water no electric. They are going to install pit toilets but I don't know if they have yet. Another campground is going to open this spring with elect and showers, and you can ride from your campsite to the trails.

Pike State Forest - Near Sinking Springs, Ohio. 15 -17 miles of off-camber riding(last time I was there in 01). In an hour you wonder why you bothered.

Haspen - looks like everyone has been there so I guess they know, 750 acres of MUD!

---------------------

Originally posted by: 2kScram
gergb, is that short for george
gerg is greg spelled backwards, b is the first letter of my last name.

Old 02-08-2004, 05:56 PM
Pro Rider

gergb
this summer, when i'm off work, we need to hit Windrock

Old 02-08-2004, 07:08 PM
Weekend Warrior

Man, Tennessee is a long trip..... sure it's worth it.... Has anyone been to the badlands?

Old 02-09-2004, 09:53 AM
Range Rover

2kScram, If I remember right I made it to WindRock in 6 1/2 - 7 hours, avg. speed 60. (hauling two quads on the old Ford,pulling a pop-up camper.) Is it worth it? Look at their pics and then decide!

Kushman, Got any idea of a general timeframe?

Old 02-09-2004, 01:37 PM
Pro Rider

Maybe kushman can have us (SW Ohio, SE Ind. riders) all down at Seahorse lake [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]. Its a great place to meet for the weekend and maybe we can plan a trip or 2 to these great places. The place won't open until may if the water recedes.

I've checked out some of these sites on the web and they all look great.

This would be a great way to meet and find the good spots to ride at these trails. I know sometimes we are reluctant to try new places since we aren't aware of their customs and good places to camp or ride.

I know there r a bunch of us around here.

OR, we can meet this Thursday @ 5:30 at the Burrito in Lawrenceburg. Its a mexican rest. so you can eat there,2. If you show up and don't like the crowd then you can pretend to only be there 2 eat. CAUTION, $1.49 32 oz Budlites, someone may drink a beer or 2. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

I know threr are a few younger riders on this forum but you can still ride with us (or we'll ride with you). But no drinking!!

There are a few Middies on this forum. How about a group together at BW3 at Forestfair. Its WINTER and the riding is short but its a great time for a "hot stove league."

Old 02-09-2004, 02:45 PM
Weekend Warrior

looks like some awesome riding. I agree, once it dries out a little we could all meet up at "horseshoe lake" if it's cool and make a plan to go down there or any of these places. I guess since I've only been to Haspen I'm a deprived rider..........

Old 02-09-2004, 02:49 PM
Weekend Warrior

It's hard for me to make it to Lawrenceburg without dropping 3 or 4 hundred on red or black, if you know what I mean...... and it's easier talking about riding when you're sittin on your quad! We should all definately get a few groups together to ride somewhere.

Old 02-09-2004, 05:29 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: gergb

BigRock - Only been there once.(what can I say? I'm cheap) Pay to Play. About 2000 acres and lots of challanges. When I was there it was raining and very muddy.
If you get a hard rain while at Big Rock be very careful! Was there Labor Day last year and a "gulley washer" came up... if your down in the low spots of the riding area you pay h3ll getting out if your on a sport quad! The hard packed mud (clay) on the hillsides is like ice - my brother and I were certain we wouldn't get our EX's out - we just kept spinning and spinning. Other than that it was a great time.

Old 02-09-2004, 09:42 PM
Pro Rider

Spring is my work season...really out of commission right now....7 days 11 hours a day, gets me real cranky
...but ahhh, summertime...i have more time thatn i know what to do with

gergb...we'll keep in touch here...i',m liable to go anywhere at the drop of a hat

redex, i bet i know just the trail you was on on that "ice"...ha ha ha

Horeshoe lake is a blast for a few hours worth of riding...get tired of that and there is always the pontoon boat.....been thinking about a way to get the quad loaded on the pontoon for some "remote" riding LOL

Old 02-09-2004, 09:49 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Kushman

redex, i bet i know just the trail you was on on that "ice"...ha ha ha
Would it be off to the right almost as soon as you come out of the parking area? One storm had come through, but it didn't rain too bad. We parked and waited for it to pass and when it did we thought we'd be cute and try to get down to the bottom trail again. Well, before we got 1/4 way down it started pouring... we thought it would be wise to turn around... probably a good thing we did because it took us 15-20 minutes to spin the 100 yards back up. Had we made it all the way down we would have been there for a while (assuming we didn't slide into a tree first).

That is the first time I ever really wished I had a big 4x4 utility with mud claws!

I'm in Wilmington by the way. My brother and I plan on heading back to Big Rock this year (when it's dry) and WNF as well.

Quick Reply: Anyone near Cincinnati, Oh.?