Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Wayne NF, and all other places for sport quads.

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2004 | 08:22 PM
|
Range Rover
Default Wayne NF, and all other places for sport quads.

I need to know what type of riding this place has to offer. From what I have read the trails are very well maintained, and not very rocky, which is VERY good because my wife and all of my freinds ride nothing but sport quads. What we are really looking for is a place with some rocks, but mostly open trails, winding and straight, and plenty of steep hills and hill climbs. We like riding fast, but at the same time ride curtiously and are respectfull to other families and slower riders. Camping with facilities is fine, Im not to sure yet about leaving the bikes on open trailers at hotels and such. Any other suggestions of areas around MD would be great also, we currently ride at Tower City, and Rausch Creek, PA. I think that we are looking to drive no more than 7-9 hours. Thanks all!!!

Old 01-19-2004 | 11:30 PM
Pro Rider

Wayne National Forest is a great place to ride. All skill levels of trails involved. It is a sport bike paradise. There is camping with electrical hookups, showers, and toilets, very closeby (the local law boys don't mind you road riding to the trailhead as long as you aren't trying to break the sound barrier). Trails are marked. You'd love it.

Old 01-19-2004 | 11:51 PM
Range Rover

Try Hatfield-McCoy for a similar ride than the one you described. I've been many times, very good ride.

Old 01-19-2004 | 11:51 PM
Range Rover

www.trailsheaven.com

Old 01-20-2004 | 01:18 PM
Trailblazer

Wayne is a great place to ride. There are a few areas that are rather technical, mainly from erosion. However, I do believe that it is open from April 15 (?) to Dec. 20. Which means it is now closed. When it is open, if you can go during the week day it is a lot less crowded, that is the only negative as far as I'm concerned. As others have stated Hatfield-McCoy is awesome and worth the drive and they are open year-round.

Have fun,
Mark.

Old 01-20-2004 | 06:22 PM
|
Range Rover

One thing that I know that my freinds and I are going to enjoy is night riding at Wayne, not many places that you can do that at. We had to stop around our way, too many complaints about noise at night.

Old 01-20-2004 | 11:24 PM
Range Rover

Just to give you an idea of how smooth the trails are at wayne,My friends and I can run the Dorr run loop (blue trail)in about 30 min.Last fall it was the best I've ever seen it.The texture was dry and almost like concrete,they must have just got done grading it.The trails are 2-way and people are good about looking out for oncoming traffic

Night riding is the best at Wayne,but be careful,its easy to get lost at night and even though the access road will help get you back to camp,atv's are prohibited on them.150 dollar fine for my friend last year.
Stay on marked trails and stay off the "closed trail".150 dollar fine for me last year and I never even passed the sign.I got out of control and stopped,but not before the ranger saw me.

Stay away from the Long Ridge trail head,its seperate from the rest of the trail system.This trail has the best hillcimbs but is heavily eroded and best suited for utility vehicles

Old 01-21-2004 | 04:55 AM
Pro Rider

Now i have to try out Wayne....not easy finding a night riding place close to home

Old 01-21-2004 | 11:37 PM
|
Range Rover

Thats great that they are smooth, but does that make them boring? Know what I mean? I dont want them to be so easy that you can sail through them with no effort, I mean, do they have whoops, small hills, some small jumps??? Im the one organizing this trip that me, the wife, and 5 of my freinds will be taking this June. We will be traveling about 6 hours to get there and I just dont want to listen to thier crap if it turns out to be a dissapointment ya know [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] ???

Old 01-21-2004 | 11:49 PM
2TV
Pro Rider

By all means check out WNF, however be sure you try the Hatfield McCoy system too, you won’t be disappointed. If you want more of a challenge (including night riding), then hook up with a tour guide down at HM (you can find a listing of some on the HM web site here). I’ve never tried them myself but have talked to some that have and they had an absolute blast! These guides grew up down in those WV mountains and can do things with quads you didn’t think were possible. They will customize a tour based upon your desires and skill level (I would suggest calling ahead to reserve and plan). They will take you on the HM trails if you wish, or trails that are not part of the system (the HM trails are only the “tip of the iceburg” of riding trails down there), or a mixture of both. They will take you on night rides too if you want (one of the groups I talked to that used a guide service did just that)

BTW the particular guide I heard about I believe was based in the Matewan area (near the Buffalo Mtn HM trail system) and that one isn't listed in the above link…

Quick Reply: Wayne NF, and all other places for sport quads.