Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

St. Joe state park on Jan 25th??

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2004, 07:12 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default St. Joe state park on Jan 25th??

400CATDRIVER, Hi hows it going? Well, in the summer I fish the Mississippi and Missouri rivers. I have a 17ft fishing boat and I love to chase those big blue catfish up and down the river. I see a lot of nice sand to ride on out there, I mean like miles of it, but I don't know how to get to it by land. Some times I see ATV tracks in the sand so I know people ride out there. But as of yet I have found no public roads that will give me access to it..........Chris[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 01-25-2004, 09:27 PM
Trailblazer

hey daren maybe you can help me with my banshees jetting problem, its a 2002 with ssts, and a k&n with umi adaptor, and the problem is, its got like no low end power, like today i was riding in the snow/ice mix, and powersliding into a corner, it would start to bog down real bad about half way through the corner, but the bikes got all top end power though, I have changed the main jets to 280s but didnt touch the others, such as the pilots..they are stock carbs..I think I need to get the single carb here sometime soon..

Old 01-25-2004, 09:30 PM
Pro Rider

enForcer...you have to go all the way to the river to fish? All we have to do is walk down to our private dock on one of our private lakes... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Seriously, we live on two lakes...maybe we should get together sometime.

Pat

Old 01-25-2004, 10:09 PM
Pro Rider

I'm just guessing here because I have no first hand experience with FMFs. Generally, I lift the needle one position (lower the clip) and run anywhere from 280-290 mains with the airbox.

The pilot should be just fine. You can try increasing to a 30 pilot but I think you'd be wasting your time. My first Banshee loaded up with a 30 pilot jet when it was stock with Paul Turner Hi-Rev pipes, no lid on the airbox with a Pro Design / Pro Flow setup.

The only guy with FMF's that raced me hard (stock with pipes, vs. same) , was running 260 mains and stepped up to 280s with no change in performance. That was years ago and I think he was running the Fatty's.

So, to sum it up, I would probably lift the needle one position and try it with the 280 mains. If it cuts out or isn't revving clean, drop to a 260 or 270 main. I think you'll be ok just lifting the needles though.

Let me know how it turns out.

Daren

Old 01-25-2004, 11:12 PM
Trailblazer

hey daren or thebom or anyone out there, maybe you can help stlzuk and me with his bike

He has a 87 lt250r quadracer and the problem is when its cold out, or the bike has been sitting for a while it will not start with out being pop started, but after we finaly get it started from pulling it, the bike will start fine the rest of the day. We have checked for air leaks, and cant find any. Its a 87 with a 36mm carb, a paul turner high rev pipe, a pro flow head and I think 22cc domes. I dont know what the jets are at right now, but he had the carb built for him at duncan racing, so they asked him what he had done and they said they built it for his bike..maybe Jimmy (STLZuk) will reply and tell you what jets are in there...

Chris

Old 01-26-2004, 12:31 AM
Pro Rider

Did it do this before he added the carb by Duncan? If it was fine before, then I recommend calling Duncan and asking them. They are experts and they are great to deal with. When I bought my Paul Turner Hi-Rev Banshee pipes from them, they gave me jetting specs and told me to call back if I needed further assistance. Their jetting info was on the money! If it is anything with the carb, they should be able to help.

My initial thoughts are that it is getting fuel, it has spark, and the exhaust is not blocked. These are the first 3 things I consider when trying to troubleshoot. It has all 3 or it wouldn't run after it is pop-started.

I wouldn't think that it is an air leak. It doesn't have the symptoms that I think it would have if an air leak was present. Once again, did it start to do this after the carb was installed or after any other modification?

My first guess would be that the carb may be filling the cylinder with fuel while it sits. Then when you try to start the LT, it is flooded. After you pull it and get it started, you've cleaned the cylinder out and it runs fine as long as the plug isn't ruined.

Do you shut the gas off whenever it is going to be sitting for a while? Just another thing to try. A friend's Banshee did the same thing. One of his carbs was letting gas into the cylinder while it was sitting. How long does it sit before this becomes a problem?

That same friend of mine, at times stood his Banshee up on end until fuel flowed out the overflows. Then it would start. I'm not sure why.

Bikes don't like to start in the cold, but I suspect that it has less to do with the temperature and more to do with a mechanical issue.

I am interested to hear what TheBom thinks about this.

Daren

Old 01-26-2004, 12:54 AM
Pro Rider
THEBOM Racing. If it don't scare you a little, it's not going fast enough !!!

I agree with Daren. It sounds like its flooded. Turning the fuel off is a must on a 2 stroke with any mod. When you haul it with the gas on it sloshes it will fill the cylinder up. This way turn the gas on,choke it and crank a few time . It should start every time. You should also keep a fresh plug in it. My lt250 can be started just sitting on the seat this way.

What kind of carb is it? I like the FTZ carbs best. They are very responsive to jet and needle changes.

enForcer ,how did the NOS Banshee run?

400CatDriver, as soon as the weather breaks and the Mississippi goes down there is great riding and racing down at my brother-in-laws.

Daren you guy are killing me. You all are just having to much fun. My fastest bike right now is my trail bike. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] I guess I better stick to riding in the back yard with my 3yr old. LOL

Old 01-26-2004, 12:54 AM
Weekend Warrior

Well ill kick it over about 20 times and the plug don`t even seem to be wet . I just went thru everything on sat and made sure everything was tight and it started at around 2 ish with a kick but thats it . I think its not getting fuel [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 01-26-2004, 12:58 AM
Weekend Warrior

Its a pj36mm and i always leave my gas off. Once its gets runnin it`ll start on the 1st kick sittin down

Old 01-26-2004, 01:18 AM
Pro Rider
THEBOM Racing. If it don't scare you a little, it's not going fast enough !!!

On a cold day I have had to ether my lt 500 to get it to start. On the warmer days I have to crank it over several times, let it set for a few seconds then it will start . The lt500 is like kick starting a bulldozer. LOL

Does it have a lot of porting done? This changes the intake /exhaust timing , like a big cam in a car.

J Ross

Quick Reply: St. Joe state park on Jan 25th??