Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Little Sahara/Pismo..How do they compare????

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2004, 11:04 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Little Sahara/Pismo..How do they compare????

I was wondering of anyone has been to both Lil' Sahara and pismo beach since I am going to each this year. How do they compare? Are the hills in Oklahoma as big and wicked as the ones at Pismo? Are there marked trails or just wide open space? Thanks!

Old 02-10-2004, 02:19 PM
Weekend Warrior

QUADROOKIE....I wish I had a comparison for you. However I can tell you all about Little Sahara. Im usually out there every other weekend during spring, summer and fall. Theres 3 campgrounds some with hookups and most sites without. There are no marked trails. The trails interlace amongst each other so be on the lookout for others intersecting with you! (I have never ran into anyone nor have been hit, so its not as bad as it sounds). Simply put, the dunes are a blast to ride! Some are tall with sharp peaks, others are rolling and theres plenty of area to go wide open. (It's not uncommon for me to screem along the straits in 5th)...Enjoy!

Old 02-10-2004, 10:40 PM
Range Rover

Thanks for the reply. I was figuring there wouldnt be much of a chance that someone has ridden both places. I see lots of pics on the net, but they dont really show the whole scene. Im sure I will love them both.

Old 02-10-2004, 11:10 PM
Weekend Warrior

Quadrookie,
I have been down to Little Sahara twice in 2003, first time in late Feb. and again in late Dec. It's a twelve hour trip from my place, but very much worth it. I have not been there when it is busy but the place is huge and would hold a lot riders. Like quadmod said, the trails interlace so you need to watch for other machines. We simply found areas no one else was using and had a blast, WOT.

Old 02-11-2004, 01:12 AM
Pro Rider

I've never been to Pismo but I have been to LS... There are some BIG dunes in the middle and there are alot of open area with smaller dunes and trail are linked they wrap around trees and shrubs The Snake Hunt in april (this year I believe it is April 16-18) and SandFest is awesome too not as many riders but alot still... night riding is a must it is a blast just make sure you have a spotter when going up the dunes... I was hit by a sand rail last Sept at sandfest... Becuase the guy I was with was at the top of the dune and I was comeing up behind him and he didnt tell me a rail was coming up the face.. The rail poped over the face right when I got to the top... Luckly We seen each other at the last second and there wasnt much damage done.....But LS is cool... I like Staying a Sand Rat Haven because it is out away from the traffic and you can sleep at night it is by the North camp entrance

Old 02-11-2004, 03:41 AM
Pro Rider

I have been to both, but it's been 10 years since I have been to Pismo, and the time I was at little sahara last year, it was raining like crazy, so we did not spend a bunch of time on the dunes. I think little sahara has bigger (taller) dunes than pismo, it is also a little bigger with all the enviro's closing parts of Pismo off. Pismo is pretty much wide open, a couple of little clumps of tree's/bushes, but not much. There was a lot more tree's/bushes at LS with trails winding through them. As far as the cool factor though, there is nothing like camping on the beach and you will see a lot more cool rides and bizarre stuff at Pismo just because it is in California instead of Oklahoma (no offense anyone) even though there are some wicked fast quads at LS.

Old 02-11-2004, 01:03 PM
Weekend Warrior

tmm2good

Hey, I used to live in Fort Collins, Colorado!! Now I live in Oklahoma (Bummer huh!) However I never rode the dunes while I was there, but I heard great things about it! (Referring to the Great Sand Dunes National Monument - In Colorado near New Mexico). If you know anything about it, maybe you could share with Quadrookie and he can goto Lil Sahara and to the one in Colorado! Might save him a few miles. Just a thought!

Old 02-11-2004, 01:07 PM
Weekend Warrior

There are the Little Sahara sand dunes in Utah, and those are great. A lil taste of glamis but with campsites, bathroom, and running water (on big weekends). Look it up on a search.

Old 02-12-2004, 02:29 AM
Pro Rider

quadmod,

I am sure you miss Ft Collins now that you are down in Oklahoma. I have been going up the Poudre Canyon out of Ft Collins since I was a little kid. As far as the great sand dunes in southern colorado, I WISH you could ride those dunes. It is a National Monument and OHV's are NOT allowed. There are some dunes in northern colorado right on the Wyoming line near Walden that I ride quite a bit. Pretty small dunes, but lots of neat roads throught the forest to ride.

Old 03-13-2004, 08:42 PM
Trailblazer

Im making my first trip to Little Sahara the 26th -28th of March. I hope that its as good as ya'll say.