Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Wisconsin flooding... HELP

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2004, 12:44 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wisconsin flooding... HELP

I'm not too happy right now because I have a group trip planned to Clark County Wisconsin this week and I found out that the trail system is closed due to flooding. Apparently the trails won't re open until "a significant drying period has passed and the trail damage is repaired".
I'm thinking that this could take weeks. We have already paid for our camp site and our trail passes so some of the folks in the group have suggest to still go and camp (at Rock Dam campground) and trailer the quads to other trails like Black River Forest.
I'm looking for advice from any Wisconsin riders. What are the conditions up there? Would we be better off canceling the entire trip?

Old 06-14-2004, 02:21 PM
Pro Rider

as far as I have heard both Clark county and Black River Falls were closed last weekend.

If they will remain closed try to get a refund.

The trails in Danbury are open and in good condition as of last weekend.

Check the WS DNR site and make a few calls to the numbers provided.

Old 06-14-2004, 02:24 PM
Trailblazer

I am living in Merrillan, WI , just north of BRF and the trails have been closed up here for about the last 2-3 weeks including the Clark County system. We have had a ton of rain for the last month or so and many creeks flooded up and washed away parts of the trails in both counties as well as really softened up alot of the area.

Your best bet would be to call the DNR at 715-284-1400 before you think about coming up on a weekend to make sure that the trails will be open.

Old 06-14-2004, 04:48 PM
Trailblazer

I just hate it when a plan falls apart but I guess ya can't fight Mother Nature. So we've changed our plans and are now going down to St. Joe State Park in Missouri. Hopefully this will be as fun as the Clark County Trail as suppose to be. I just want to do some riding!
Anyone been to St. Joe recently? We don't have any camping reservations. Does anyone know of some good campgrounds with electric hook ups?

Old 06-14-2004, 05:07 PM
Trailblazer

I feel your pain....... We've had so much flippin' rain that our mudholes are no big enough for whitecaps & tide reports, and you can't get down the trails for all the animals lining up 2 by 2........................

Rain every stinkin' day, just like last summer. I hate this crap...........

Old 06-25-2004, 02:03 PM
Trailblazer

Okay guys, here is an update. I just got off the phone with the Jackson County DNR and the Jackson and Clark County trail systems are opening back up today (6-25-04) at 12 noon and are slated to be open until further notice.

Just figured I would break out the good news for anyone that wants to make their way into Jackson or Clark county the weekend or in the future.

Old 06-25-2004, 08:20 PM
Pro Rider

FINALLY.. your absolutely correct. I just called for both locations and they are opening today at noon.

You guys that ride there, don't ruin our great opportunity for some of the best riding in MN and WS by doing something stupid such as those issues posted about Bauers PIt. in MN.

Looks nice for the weather also this weekend.

Old 06-25-2004, 08:57 PM
Pro Rider

thx for the update guys[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 06-25-2004, 10:02 PM
Pro Rider
Your friend needs to stop smoking whatever it is that is rotting his brain!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Northern Wisconsin is pretty dry, my son and I were riding Iron River last week, and it was bone dry. A guy I met on the trail said Hurley was pretty muddy, so the north must have been pretty spotty for rain.

Old 06-25-2004, 10:19 PM
Range Rover

the Little Rice trails north of Tomohawk were really dry last tuesday. otherwise i think almost everywhere is wet, the sand helps it dry out around there. is it really wet around the the clark county area? i was thinking about heading down there tomorrow

Quick Reply: Wisconsin flooding... HELP