Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Sportsman Lake Trails Project under fire

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2004, 08:43 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sportsman Lake Trails Project under fire

Guys,
The first part of this post was pertains to the original proposal. On 7/30/04 we got some new information that affects all of us. We hope that you will become a proactive participant and support our effort. Here is the info:

Guys,
Sorry if this post is inappropriate for this forum, but ATVers in our area are in need of your help.
We've proposed a new trail complex, but have been met with some resistance. Apparrantly, there are a few environmentalists (about 20) who are fighting this proposal.
The following info will explaing how you can make a difference. We would appreciate your support and I hope you choose to be proactive and help us in this effort.

It has been requested to the City Council, City of Seminole, Oklahoma to approve motorcycle and ATV trails at the local city-owned lake (Sportsman Lake). For this to happen, we will need your support.
Seminole is located about 55 miles east of OKC at the intersection of Hwy 9 & Hwy 99 (US 377).

We're asking all ATVers and motorcyclist to help with our campaign. All we have to do is show that there is ample support for the trails and we can get them approved.

If you would like to help, here's what you can do:

a) Simply write a letter/email addressed to:

Mayor Billy Choate
401 N. Main
Seminole, Oklahoma

voicing your support for the trails. Email it to me at harmony@okplus.com and I'll present it to the Mayor and City Council.

Or,

b) Email me at harmony@okplus.com and I'll email you a petition to pass around to your friends. Once they have all signed the petition, simply fax the petition back to me with a number I will provide for you. Some guys have been taking the petition to ATV & motorcycle dealers, repair shops and parts houses. They leave the petition there for a few days and then pick it up once it's full of signatures. This is a great way to get signatures.

If you would like to see more places to ride, help us with this effort.

If you have questions or concerns, feel free to post them here or email me and I will answer them for you.

Thanks for your support,
James Hale
Seminole, Ok.

NEW DEVELOPMENT on the Sportsman Lake Trails Project 7/30/04

I met with the city Public Works Director and our Consumer Services Director Friday 7/30/04 to go over our proposal and ask for their input.

While I was there, the President of our local Equestrian Riders Club and our Mayor came in (not knowing I was there) and handed the Public Works Director a binder full of about 150 letters stating that the Equestrian Riders "now want to obtain" the proposed ATV area and use it to expand their existing horse trails. They want to take the only available land left at the lake and designate it as equestrian trials ONLY!! They already have about 950 acres of land for their trails, and now they want the land we are asking for (about 450 acres) to expand their equestrian trail system. So, now our goals have changed from "asking" for some previously unused property for ATV trails, to having to "fight the equestrian riders for it".

You see, the equestrian riders have been against this proposal all along. This wasn't mentioned before because we were trying to be respectful and not make this into an "us against them" issue. Well, now they've forced us to take off the kid gloves and get serious. We hope you'll get serious with us. Keep those letters coming!!! And ask your friends to get involved and write a letter too. We need every supporter we can get.

If you would like to CALL our Mayor and voice your concerns, here is his number (405) 382-2280. Ask for Mayor Billy Choate.

And here is the number to City Hall (405) 382-4330. Ask for Steve Saxon (City Manager).

Thank you for your support, and we thank those who have already emailed us their letter. Together, we WILL WIN on this issue.

Sincerely,
James Hale

Old 07-31-2004, 09:20 PM
Trailblazer

hell yea we will help were getting some names from here everywhere we go the damn hosre riders are taking over our trails around here we need to put a stop to this or there will be no more trails they will be all horse trails i would rather share my trails with dirtbikes than horses no offense dirt bike riders but you understand what i mean

tyler

--------------------------------------------
2002 honda rancher 350 es
2005 yamaha grizzly 660 4x4

Old 08-01-2004, 01:01 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the help and support Tyler. Every name you can get and every letter you can get emailed is a major step forward toward our project.

It's up to ATVers and motorheads across the nation as to whether we will see these trails in our neighborhood or not. If we lose in this effort, it'll set another precedent for other anti-ATV groups to use against ATVers EVERYWHERE.

They'll say, "Look, we stopped the ATVers in Seminole, Oklahoma so we know we can stop them ANYWHERE". So, if there are folks out there who aren't supporting this project with their support letters because they think it doesn't affect them, they're wrong.

Heck, lawyers use previously tried cases as examples to the jury as to why the jury should vote for/against a project. And if ATVers don't support this project, it may be THEIR trails that are next to be attacked.

I hope it doesn't happen to you,
James

Old 08-05-2004, 06:03 PM
Trailblazer

Hey James...
If the equestrians want some new trails...ask them if they want to swap 950 acres of old trails for 450 acres of new trails.

Come on guy's...get involved. This forum is WHERE TO RIDE. Every thread seems to be "where can I find a place to ride?" This man is trying to help us get a place to ride, but he needs our help.

Shoot an email to the City Manager like I did. SteveSaxon@yahoo.com

Let him know that we want our fair share of riding space. If we don't speak up, we'll be putting these 4-wheelers out to pasture soon, because there won't be any places left to ride.

XMARINE

Old 08-05-2004, 09:10 PM
Trailblazer

AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! if we dont stop them we will be stuck riding in our front yards and i dont know about ya'll but mine aint that big

by the way xmarine i got the 750 brute force

---------------------------------------------
U.S.M.C. ONCE A MARINE ALWAYS A MARINE HOORAH