Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Hatfield McCoy

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2004 | 01:53 PM
2TV
Pro Rider
Default Hatfield McCoy

Personally I’ve had pretty good luck in the town of Man and have stayed there many times. I’ve stayed at the Colonial Motel (a little sulphur water is good for you! Perhaps I am “used” to it though because as I was growing up my grandparents in Ohio had sulphur in their water and I actually liked it). I find the Colonial adequate and down right convenient to the Rockhouse trail head. I’ve also stayed with Almost Heaven Rentals and I like them, but you generally have to book well in advance. There are other good places to stay in the Man area as well from what I’ve heard (see the Hatfield McCoy web site for a detailed list). As for places to eat I like the Cliffside Restaurant (on route 10 about 1/2 mile from town) and the Hawaiian Ice / Fried Chicken place on Buffalo Creek Rd that is about a mile from the center of town. I’ve heard good reports about eating at the Community Pool too but I haven’t been by there when they were open yet (I’m not sure what their schedule is).

However Gilbert is great and there are wonderful places to stay in that area and they certainly have a good selection of eateries. No matter where we stay (Man or Gilbert) we patronize both towns (for food and fuel) on any given day we ride the Browning Fork trails. I like to “spread the wealth” around (patronize a variety of businesses in the area) because I want to do my part in helping out the local economy to show my appreciation to WV for creating the Hatfield McCoy trail system. I may end up riding the “free” trails too (although I haven’t yet) that are down there, but I will still buy Hatfield McCoy permits in order to support the cause. On my next trip down (in a couple of weeks) I’ll actually be lodging in three different places (Pineville, Man and Gilbert) during our 5 day stay.

With this being said I think the powers to be in Man could help themselves out by relaxing a little (such as allowing safe and sane riding through town after dark if it is a direct path from the trail head to where the rider is lodging because it is easy to get caught in the trail system after dark should one encounter a mechanical problem, obstacle on the trail which forces a detour, out of gas, etc.). I also feel they should extend the same privileges to dirk bikes as well as long as the rules of the road are observed and after dark riding is limited to a path between the trail head and lodging in the event of an emergency...

Old 10-05-2004 | 05:30 PM
Range Rover
Default Hatfield McCoy

If you want a great place to stay, try the www.browningforktrailhouse.com. Direct access to the Browning Fork Trails. Fresh sheets and towels everyday. They have campfire sights with free wood. They also provide a pressure washer.

And...no smelly water. lol

Pet dog also provided. Cleans up the burnt marshmellows.

Old 10-05-2004 | 08:47 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Hatfield McCoy

Myself and 7 other friends went to the H/M trails in July and had blast. We stayed in Man and rented a double wide trailer from "hillybilliesrental". When i return next year i will stay there again, great people. But like others have said, it does'nt matter where you stay, you will have a great time in WV.