Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Some Pismo/Oceano Advice Please

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2004 | 05:23 PM
|
Trailblazer
Default Some Pismo/Oceano Advice Please

True, I have read about that.
We'll see, if I start to get stuck that's what I'll do, but I should be ok.
ATV's are locked to the trailer, and trailer is locked to the truck (welded chain and lock), ballmount is locked to the reciever, and even the trailer ball nut is welded on! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Besided, we're staying a little out of town (Santa Maria) on our way to see Solvang on Sunday, so it shouldn't be too crazy. Everything in town was either booked, way too expensive, or they only had one parking space per room (and I didn't want to have to fight that battle).

Old 11-05-2004 | 10:25 PM
Air Cooled Rider
Future Govenator of Kalifornia!

DO NOT wait until you start to get stuck. You go from fine to stuck in nothing flat. Even if you have a 4x4 (unless you are running over 35" tires) you can easily get burried. First thing when you get on the sand, air down. Airing down keeps you from getting stuck in the first place. THe goal is contact patch 2x-3x the normal size. Most trucks running in the 50psi+ road range drop to 30. They are usually heavy and any lower and a sharp turn can cause a popped bead. I used to run 12/10 f/r on the Sonoma I used to drive. Most passenger vehicles and 1/2 tons run this as well. Tires are one of the biggest helps out on the sand next to 4WD/AWD. LSD (axle, not the drug) or lockers (even better) make a big difference as well.

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

Old 11-05-2004 | 10:55 PM
|
Trailblazer

Okay! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

I have a new Expedition 4x4, and the tires are already at 30psi. So I'll drop them down to what, 15-20psi? It has a locking differential and low range, so I should be ok.

I'm bringing a shovel and tow straps just in case...

Old 11-06-2004 | 01:27 PM
Air Cooled Rider
Future Govenator of Kalifornia!

You should be good to go at 15. Most likely you have passender rated tires so they flex better. I'm assuming you have a trailer of some kind so you REALLY need to air down. Trailers on the sand might as well be a freaking anchor.

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

Old 11-06-2004 | 01:45 PM
|
Trailblazer

Nah, I just shove the two big ATV's into the back of the Expedition... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

I shouldn't air down the trailer tires though, right?

Old 11-07-2004 | 05:38 AM
Quad Patrol

Yes, you should air down the trailer tires. Like BlackandRed stated, they act like an anchor[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] And, 15 lbs is the lowest, I would suggest going on the tires, when you air them down. The lower you go, the more you risk popping a bead on the wheel[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

And yes, you can ride at night[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]