Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Missouri-Sutton's Bluff

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2004, 11:10 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Missouri-Sutton's Bluff

Has anyone from Missouri rode Sutton's Bluff, and is it a great place to ride? I am more of a trail rider than mud, so I am not looking for mud. I went to the Forest Ranger station in Rolla and picked up a map for the place, but only 30 miles of trails (not including the dirt roads)? Doesn't seem like alot of riding. I've been to Chadwick and it was fun, but Sutton's Bluff is closer.

Any thoughts?

thanks,
Rob

Old 01-04-2005, 06:25 PM
Super Quad Patrol
Athens Archery Field Staff
Best lunch hour ever!

Yes I have. We go every year for a big trail ride with about 30-40 people. Good times. As far as the 30 miles of trails goes, I have been twice and still haven't hit all of em. The first weekend we went we rode over 100 miles. There is alot of riding on the roads as well. Most of the time we rode the same trails the first weekend. The second time I went we hit almost all new (to me) trails. We did find some mud, but its mostly trails. Up and down the hills of Mark Twain National. I realy had a great time and plan to go back again this year. I will post the details when it gets closer to June to see if anyone wants to join us.

Old 01-06-2005, 07:46 AM
Weekend Warrior

It is the best place I have found this side of Arkansas. A full day there for me is about 6 hours, and I have not been able to ride all of the 12 trails in that time. Sometimes you ride one and liked it so much you just turn around and ride it back the other way. If it is hot, you can jump in the Black river and cool off or wash off the dust before you go home. There are also a lot of unmarked trails, but I am just discovering those and do not know very much about them yet. Highly recommended place.

Old 01-06-2005, 08:29 AM
Trailblazer

Sounds like a place I would enjoy going. Will hope that the rain stops soon and I will be planning a trip down there shortly. Thanks for the replies.

Rob

Old 01-06-2005, 11:09 PM
Weekend Warrior

Sounds Great. Exactly where is Suttons bluff?

Old 01-07-2005, 07:15 AM
Weekend Warrior

Its in the Mark Twain Nat Forest near Centerville, MO. It is under the USFS, not state of mo.

Old 01-12-2005, 12:02 AM
Weekend Warrior

I went to Sutton's Bluff about two years ago and if you like trail riding you will love this place. It is well taken care of and there is an awesome view of the river from the bluff.

However, if you like a little variety in your riding, other than rocks, you will hate this place, like our group did. We were there for maybe four hours and hit all the trails except for two that looked like they were three miles away on the map. We didn't want to waste any more time. We even hit a lot of unmarked trails(there are signs saying you will get fined) and got lost and ended up back in Centerville.

The things we didn't like were the flat trails with very easy hills. Maybe they have done some work to this place in the last two years, but if they haven't I will not waste another ten bucks or whatever the stickers cost.