Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

black mt.ky, is it worth the ride?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2005, 03:52 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default black mt.ky, is it worth the ride?

heard about this new place to ride is it good or bad ?we'll have to travil some 12hr one way just to get there ,can ya tell me is it worth it?

how do'es ti compair to windrock or to H/M Wv.?

Old 07-30-2005, 04:45 PM
Pro Rider

It is worth the trip...Just like Windrock or H/M.....

Old 07-30-2005, 05:06 PM
Pro Rider

what about a good place to stay?

Old 07-31-2005, 02:16 AM
Pro Rider

Valley View Lodge, which is a motel, is kinda basic, but clean..

Mount Aire Motel ...not bad..

Holiday Inn Express is real nice....all in Harlan

Lots of houses, trailer, cabins to rent, but I have never persoanlly seen inside them..

best bet is to go to HCRR site and look around for the lodging, Good informative forum as well

Old 07-31-2005, 10:17 PM
Pro Rider

I just finished the article on Black Mtn (Harlan County) in Red Rider Magazine. Up until now, most of the info I had heard about this place was from local folks with an incentive to make it sound as appealing as possible. I was planning to go anyway to check it out for myself, but after reading the Red Rider article, I'm definitely going. Red Rider has validated what the local guys have been saying for months.

I think it's really exciting what they have been able to do in Harlan County. Hats off to Preston McClain, the president of the HCRR. He got the local politicians behind his idea and he and the rest of the Ridge Runners have been pushing it forward tirelessly. It goes to show what one determined and commited riding club can accomplish!

Old 08-11-2005, 12:59 PM
Weekend Warrior

I only have to travel approx 2hrs to get to Harlan. I have made 2 trips and feel it is well worth the drive. The trail head actually starts in Evarts, which is just outside of Harlan. I personal found out about Harlan by the Red Rider magazine, but if you will go to the KY Ridge Runner website there is alot more information about the park including lots of pics. http://www.kyoutdoors.com/hcrr/ The park is free to ride. There is a BP station, Chevron station, and a resturaunt called Dairy Hut where you can purchase trail maps. They are $5, and well worth it. Could be easy to get turned around with out the map. The city of Evarts, (If you can even call it a city) has made it legal to drive atv's on the roads in Evarts. This is real convienant, you can stop riding and take a break for something to eat, and fill back up with gas before hitting the trails again. On the Ridge runner website is a forum. If you will join the forum, many of the club members are very helpful. They could probably give you tips on where to stay. They were also very considerate, and several offered to meet us there, and ride with us to show us the best trail rides. The trails are all rated, from Beginner, Moderate, and Advanced. Trails range from rock climbs, steep inclines, and best of all MUD. There is a mud hole on trail 25, thats comes up over my front fenders(05' Honda Rubicon). Several holes that appear deeper than that, but I did not attempt them, don't like getting in anything in which I cannot see the bottom. If you have any more ??? I will be glad to help all I can. I think this park has a little something for every type of rider. Use caution when you go. There are lots of trails the turn off of the main park trails. These trails are not on the trail map, and some of them are really rough and steep. Several logging roads/coal roads with very soft/loose dirt. These roads have very steep inclines and the loose dirt gives you very little control.

Old 02-12-2006, 04:20 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hey FF, it just even better, another 40,000 acres to ride for FREE, not mapped/marked as of yet, so you would need a FREE Staff guide as well. The Park 8,000 acres, is mapped/marked with more trails open on it.
Check out our 06 ride/event sch...... ATV Nation picked us for the National Ride. June 24th 2006..... http://www.kyoutdoors.com/forum/view...15cf9a521e2158 Can't make any rides/events just email and sch your own, have 83 with 4 guides this snowy day on the mtn, and another 100 plus, just stopping by.