Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

What Kentucky town is ATV friendly..and

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2005, 11:45 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What Kentucky town is ATV friendly..and

What Kentucky town is ATV friendly..and has been known for lots of nearby trails..My friend wants to go there and lost the magazine article or map of the location..I think I too saw a mag artical about the whole town being ATV tourist friendly.. magazine stated its ok to drive on the streets, park in town etc..he's 50 years old, not a speed demon, just wants a new terrain to ride while on vacation this spring.... any help or web site would be greatful..thanks in advance...

Old 12-10-2005, 02:39 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Hightrails
What Kentucky town is ATV friendly..and has been known for lots of nearby trails..My friend wants to go there and lost the magazine article or map of the location..I think I too saw a mag artical about the whole town being ATV tourist friendly.. magazine stated its ok to drive on the streets, park in town etc..he's 50 years old, not a speed demon, just wants a new terrain to ride while on vacation this spring.... any help or web site would be greatful..thanks in advance...
I think you're talking about Evarts in Harlan County. It's in southeastern KY near the Virginia border. Here's some helpful links:

Official Site
Local ATV Club - they will provide you a free guide for off-park riding.
Some Video

There are no fees to ride and the views are outstanding. I spent several days down there in October and had a great time. Have fun!

Old 12-15-2005, 03:28 AM
Weekend Warrior

Black Mountain Recreation Park. In Evarts, Ky. and Harlan Ky. I have been there 6 times myself. This place is absolutely awesome! Lots of riding and the sights are 2nd to none.

Old 12-15-2005, 11:59 AM
Pro Rider

Welcome GutBuster! Black Mountain is an awesome place to ride for sure. I hope to get back there in the spring. We stayed at one of PoWhiteBoy's places while we were there. He is a great guy and an even better guide.

Are you planning to go on the Moab trip with the Ridge Runners? A couple of my buddies are going, but I'm still on the fence. That's a LONG way from Ky.

Old 12-15-2005, 07:30 PM
Weekend Warrior

I doubt if I'll get to go to Moab this time around. Already have all my Vacation planned for next year.

I'm hoping I'll be riding with them fellars New Years. You gonna try to go? Black Mountain ride leaves from the High School Parking Lot at 0900 on Saturday 12/31 and they'll be riding all day New Years Day as well!

BTW, The Putney Trailhead is official now, and the city of Cumberland has just about approved becoming ATV friendly as well. I'm gonna ride my Quad through the Hardee's drive-thru next time I'm near Cumberland once they get the go. That's gonna connect up hundreds more miles of trails! It's all still in Harlan County.

Old 12-16-2005, 01:26 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks GB for the posts about our little town

http://www.kyoutdoors.com/img/evarts/evarts.htm
Come check us out and just see why so many have came here and come back. Free park/unload in town, ride thru town to the trailhead, gas, eat, supplies, need a staff tour of the park or off park rides, yep that is free as well.

Old 02-12-2006, 03:51 PM
Weekend Warrior

So close to getting another 40,000 acres to ride, FOR FREE, that we have the ok now to ride it and make plans for mapping, for now you will need a FREE Staff guide on these acres. Or buy a map and go it alone on the other 8,000 we have under lease now.

Old 02-13-2006, 11:45 AM
Pro Rider

Harlan is an awesome place, do yourself a favor and go there. We went there back in Oct, had a blast. So much that our club is going back in May. So hey Bellman we need to hookup a tour group ride with you and the Ridgerunners. I want to show the President of our club the hole in the wall. I don't have an exact count but we have several more members coming this time. Hightrails I have some Harlan pics posted here on this site, check my profile page

Old 02-13-2006, 03:46 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally posted by: skooter525
Harlan is an awesome place, do yourself a favor and go there. We went there back in Oct, had a blast. So much that our club is going back in May. So hey Bellman we need to hookup a tour group ride with you and the Ridgerunners. I want to show the President of our club the hole in the wall. I don't have an exact count but we have several more members coming this time. Hightrails I have some Harlan pics posted here on this site, check my profile page
Hey, skooter glad your headed our way again,just let me know the date, and place your staying...................and the FREE staff tours is yours for sure...................GREAT PICS