Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

California Areas

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2006, 01:34 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default California Areas

Where are the sand dunes in Johnson valley?

Old 09-14-2006, 07:55 PM
Range Rover
Default California Areas

Ive been to johnson valley and it was just like elmirage or stoddard valley...wasnt worth the drive IMO

I love Gorman, and Glamis

Old 09-14-2006, 08:13 PM
Range Rover
Default California Areas

has any one been to hollister hills?

Old 09-14-2006, 10:46 PM
Pro Rider
Default California Areas

Originally posted by: alienjunior
your right happy. i can't wait to explore johnson valley this winter. slash x area is getting a little boring. i hope to see you out there one day and take some pics with our v's side by side.
Have you not been to Johnson Valley much? It is way better than Stoddard Wells area. The place is HUGE. It is on the 247. Go east of Lucerne valley. Go past Camp Rock Road about 7 miles (there is an entry off Camp Rock Road, but I prefer the other staging areas). You will see a big JOHNSON VALLEY sign. Make a left at that sign and that is Bassinger (spelling?) Mine Road. Go down that dirt road about 1 1/2 miles till you see the dry lakebed (Soggy Dry Lake). This is the staging area for this portion of Johnson Valley. They have restrooms, too.

Old 09-14-2006, 10:56 PM
Pro Rider
Default California Areas

Originally posted by: atvtracy
Where are the sand dunes in Johnson valley?
If you camp at Soggy Dry Lake, go east about 4 miles. You can't miss them and you will see them a couple of miles before you get there.
The other entry point into Johnson Valley that I only found last year is farther to the east.
Stay on the 247 past Camp Rock Road, past the 1st Johnson Valley sign at about 7 miles, and on about 4 to 6 (or so) miles farther. You will see another Johnson Valley sign. Make a left at the sign (not past it). Go in about 1 mile and you come upon another dry lakebed (Means Dry Lake) This is another staging area. It is not as big as soggy and not as flat.....there are many dozen bomb craters in this lake that are great for jumps! Go to the north/east and explore and you will find some large areas of sand, some dunes and some big sand hillclimbs that most or many bikes will not make!

Explore and have fun!

Old 09-15-2006, 01:43 PM
Trailblazer
Default California Areas

You guys have all the answers! I have only been out in the area off the 247 once so it great to find out that there are so many areas to ride at. Thanks for all your help. I guess we all have to find one another out there some time and get a photo of everyone. Dose anyone have G.P.S coordinates of the area?

Old 09-15-2006, 01:57 PM
Range Rover
Default California Areas

I went to johnson valley once and didnt really like it that much...maybe I didnt explore that far...How are the sand dunes out there in johnson? Are they big? Are they big enough to put the paddles on for?

Old 09-15-2006, 10:47 PM
Pro Rider
Default California Areas

Originally posted by: proraptor
I went to johnson valley once and didnt really like it that much...maybe I didnt explore that far...How are the sand dunes out there in johnson? Are they big? Are they big enough to put the paddles on for?
Not good enough for paddles. Just too much hardpack and rocks just getting there. The sand is clean when you get there. My avator is a pic from the sand at Johnson Valley..

Old 09-22-2006, 02:13 AM
Trailblazer
Default California Areas

Did all of socal fall asleep for the past week or what!!!!

Old 09-22-2006, 04:03 PM
Trailblazer
Default California Areas

Yeah..

We have to been to Hollister lots of times... Its a great place, as long as its not to crowded.... The are plenty of trails and tracks for all kinds there..... The sand and hard pack trails are a nice way to let beginners experience riding.. Just remember to head back to camp, BEFORE it starts to rain... Those clay hardpacked trails get very slippery...... and its tough but fun......

We used to live in Stockton back in 2000-2004... So been to a few places around those areas..

Happy riding

Nick

Quick Reply: California Areas