Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

moving to North Carolinia

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2006, 11:02 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default moving to North Carolinia

New poster here, but have enjoyed the site for years. I live in Fort Lauderdale now and am looking to buy a vacation home in NC.
After some searching this site, I have a few questions:

1. Is there good/great legal riding areas in NC. Maybe not legal (like a park) but "permitted"
2. Can anyone who lives in NC recommend areas to buy a vacation home/vacant land?

I probably won't buy if there are only a few good riding areas, but here in So. Fla, there is NONE.

As far as buying the vacation property, I have some questions, too.

Please tell me what you can about the following areas as far as quality of life and people, general feelings about the location and anything else you know....I know, it's a bit off topic for an ATV forum, but your unbiased opinion is remarkably better than a Realtor's (commission based) opinion.

I am currently considering Cowee Township (Franklin and Webster)
I am looking for either vacant land with an awesome mountain view or a little house w/an awesome mountian view.

Any suggestions? Opinions? Remarks?

BTW, I'm an offshore fisherman and am willing to trade good riding advise/house buying advise for an offshore fishing trip for dolphin, tuna, swordfish, sailfish, etc.

Thanks again for your help! See ya on the trails.

Old 11-04-2006, 04:39 AM
Pro Rider

I wish I could give you some good advise but I am unfamiliar with most of NC. I can tell you that I ride a lot in Georgia. It never fails that I wind up meeting several people who live in NC that travel to Georgia like myself to ride. I do not know if they are reaching out for diffrent places to ride or if they are looking for places to ride period. I can also tell you that SC at this time does not offer a lot but there is a couple of places becoming active very soon that may be worth your trip depending on how far it is from where you buy. The only real place I have been in NC is a place called Wayehutta it is in the lower part of the state and is more of a scenic ride than sport.

I believe that North Carolina now has a law in place called Chandlers Law. Basicly the upshut of that is children under the age of 16 cannot ride anything larger than a 90cc atv or bike. And children under 12 cannot ride anything over a certain size cc also? I believe they have to attend a safety course and get a permit before they can ride at all. There is some other things involved with it also but it has been a while since I really studied anything on it.

Sorry I can't give you more than this but if you ever decide to ride in SC. or Ga. drop me a line I always enjoy a good romp on the trails with new friends.

Mud

Old 11-06-2006, 12:18 PM
Range Rover

madmuddin - thanks for the heads up, and especially thanks for the offer to ride. I might just take you up on that offer!
I have a georgia buddy that's been trying to get me to move up his way for the past ten years, maybe I'll have to look into that.
We just got back from Hatfield (Third trip in four years) I agree, awesome ride. Visiting West Virginia inspired me to look into mountain properties as a vacation spot, but as I said, I need some GREAT riding locations closeby.
Thanks again. I'll hit ya back soon and give you an update.

Old 11-06-2006, 06:32 PM
Weekend Warrior

there are a lot of great riding spots in nc busco,brown mountain,uwarrie(spelling?),upper tellico, maybe croatan forest? to name a few.

Old 11-12-2006, 11:53 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your just looking for a vacation spot, what about Tennessee? Look up windrockatv.com. This place is in Oliver springs Tenn. It has over 200mi of trails from gravel roads to butt clenching billy goat trails. This is a place that I try to go every chance I get. Look it up, it is truely an awesome place to ride.

Old 11-16-2006, 12:09 PM
Weekend Warrior

You have a lot of choices that have been mentioned on this site in this thread. That Franklin area is nice but some what remote but that may be what you are looking for. I get in & out of the Asheville area a lot so if I can help let me know.

I live down on Lake Norman, NC. if you ever want to do some Stripper fishing

Old 11-17-2006, 09:17 PM
Range Rover

Check out atvnc.com and you'll see plenty about the different places to ride in NC.

Old 11-18-2006, 10:38 PM
Pro Rider

Yea log onto atvnc.com, im a member (JBacon), In Nc If your 12 years old you cant ride over a 90cc, then 16 and over rides anything...There are great places to ride in NC, you just gotta find 'em first. Like Busco Beach in Goldsboro. Theres alot more just cant remember them.As for a vacation home, I prefer you find one in the country area...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]