Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

BEND OVER P.A.! NEW ATV LAW FORCES ALL OWNERS TO GET REGISTRATIONS .

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2000, 08:09 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Helmet 660 & OTHERS,...a follow up on this issue.
I read in "York Dispatch" newspaper Dec.27th.
The ATV registration bill was vetoed.
"Ridge said the bill was vetoed because of two admendments unrelated to to ATV issues".
This is good & bad, good because you will not be forced to register & insure all ATV's.And bad because the state has no obligation to funnel money for the development of more trails.

Old 12-29-2000, 02:09 AM
Trailblazer

The good.....no mandatory registration and no mandatory insurance.i like being able to make my own choices. however, the bad you say;"the state will no longer be obligated to funnel money into PA trail expansion"? there's 3.2 million bucks worth of obligation sitt'n in that fat DCNR bank account. and its still growing, but our trails arent.(enviro-nuts) I would like to see trail creation and expansion with some of the existing fundage before legislature proposes law that would basically increase the value of a dormant account. With this news you've made my day. thanx...

Old 12-29-2000, 03:29 PM
Pro Rider

Perhap I should have said the state is not immediately obligated to develop more trails. According to article ..sounds like this is not over yet.
"To become law,the admendments in the vetoed bill must be introduced in the new session beginning next month and go through the whole procees again."
Sounds like more buearuecratic B.S.

Old 12-30-2000, 12:42 AM
Trailblazer

Wait........im feeling pissed again. With that last post you've ruined my day. No, just kidd'n.
for real though, im sure the necessary changes will be made to the vetoed version of the bill and it will eventually be re-introduced, only to suceed in relieving me of my current freedom of choice. oh well, i guess ya cant keep beat'n a dead horse. the state will have its way. we're just along for the ride. later.......

Old 01-03-2001, 01:27 PM
Pro Rider

>>>>>I have a split opinion about registration.

1st: being in Ohio we've resently been required to register. The good in this, as I see it, involves making it harder to STEAL anothers quad, and attempting to re-register it in Ohio.<<<<<<<<

I have lived in Florida, Wisconsin, Michigan and Minnesota. I have never had the VIN # on the quad checked by a LEO to obtain a registration. It is just a money issue.

Old 01-11-2001, 07:16 PM
Range Rover

At least you have state trails. Up here
in NY we have to register our rides but
there is NO state law mandating trails
so they blow the money any way they want.
Registration isn't so bad, it'll help
cut down on theft, the biggest problem
we have right now.

Old 01-11-2001, 09:10 PM
Pro Rider

In Michigan, we have to register the quads but we don't have to have insurance... Shame on you... If you want to ride the trails (public) you must also have an ORV license. Michigan, is rated number one or two in the country for miles of trails to ride. Snowmobiles have been the biggest recipient of the dollars for trails. Michigan, still has more registered snowmobiles than any other State. ATVing is the fastest growing sport in Michigan. We are now trying to make a change in how the trail system is divided. There are many snowmobile trails that ATVers can not travel in Michigan. When we gain access to those, it will be the greatest for all our families. Oh! And you can come to... Our new license plates are going to read, Water-Winter-ATVer Wonderland... :0)
You guys in PA. need to get involved, make sure the "powers to be" are listening to your voices. They want more dollars and you want--...
Make a lot of noise voices... Hope to come there to ride this year.
Chuck, Suzuki KQ 300, GPS & lunch...

Old 01-22-2001, 08:50 AM
Pro Rider

Hey Helmet660,

I'm from Huntingdon too. Both of my quads are registered for the state/national forests, I didn't have much of a choice, it was either that or keep paying those pesky fines the rangers in the ANF hand out. Seriously dude, we have to do some riding together. Check out may machines at the my homepage. Just click the link below my name.

C-Ya!

Old 01-22-2001, 08:01 PM
Pro Rider

Check this out which i got from another web site.
FACT: There is no State Trail System nor state funding program for public off-highway recreational vehicle trails in The State of New Jersey. With your help, we want to change this situation.
The information below was taken right from the NJ DMV it states how many ATV users paid to register their ATVs in 1998 and how much money the state of New Jersey got from registration fees in 1998

ATV Resident 1,961 @ $19,610

ATV Non-Resident 9 @ $108

and yet the state still does not provide any legal riding areas for us, where does these funds go?

Old 01-25-2001, 06:59 PM
Pro Rider

DS650DAVE,

The DCNR isn't obligated to build ANY trails with that money. Heck, they don't even do up-keep on the trails they do have. The money from ATV registrations is "feel good" money for the ECO-*****. The DCNR can say "Oh gee is there erosion at this one site, we'll get right on it. We have 3.2 million in the bank to take care of it." That fund is garbage as far as I'm concerned. The only people who DO use it is the Allegheny National Forest people. They are constantly making up-grades and improvements to the trails, unlike the DCNR which basically lets it's trail system go to hell and then wants more of your money. I've registered my quads and three wheelers I've had since at least 1996. Guess what, no new trails, no more registration from Mr. Chero.

Then to top it all off, they want you to buy insurance, not to cover damages to other peoples quads, but to cover the cost of any PUBLIC land you rip up. This is adding insult to injury. I personally can't stand to see that the DCNR is going to buy private land for us to ride on. Whats the matter don't we have enough park and state forest land to ride on? Or is that land too good for us?

As one of my favorite authors puts it, BOHICA! (Bend Over Here It Comes Again)