Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Hatfield McCoy or Black Mountain

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 11:06 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hatfield McCoy or Black Mountain

I am trying to decide which trail system to try this spring. I may take the family with a Ranger and a ATV or some friends and just ATVs. Black Mtn is about 6 hours away and Hatfield McCoy about 8. I'm not a big mud fan, everything else is OK. Thanks for your help.

Old 01-13-2009, 10:45 PM
Weekend Warrior

I've never been to Black Mountain. Been to Hatfield McCoy several times and we have a blast everytime. Not a whole lot of mud there except for the play pit. Best to go after it rains so if you do go good luck. The best thing about Hatfield is you can travel from Gilbert to Man through the mountains, have lunch, gas up and head home. We always look forward to that run .We usually clock around 80-90 miles on that trip. But of course we always take the long way. ;-)

Old 01-13-2009, 10:54 PM
Weekend Warrior

forgot to add we ride Browningfork.

Old 01-13-2009, 11:15 PM
Pro Rider

You can't go wrong either way, both are great places to ride. I'll give you my opinion on each and maybe that will help you make up your mind. By the way, I am seriously generalizing here:

Hatfield McCoy is clean, organized, has strict rules that are enforced (off the trails by dark, permit stickers on helmets at all times, etc.), trails are almost always marked, you never have to wonder where you are.

Black Mountain is not quite as clean, not all trails are marked perfectly, main rule is "have fun", no permits required, night riding is OK. Although there are no rangers or police on the trails, everyone has always been very well behaved. You may have to share the trail with a rock crawler occasionally.

Also, I can't stress enough what a difference the local ATV club makes (Harlan County Ridge Runners). They have a big campfire for the ATV'ers about every night in Evarts and have organized "off-park" rides every weekend. These rides are sometimes all-day'ers (bring extra gas). All at no charge.

I love both places, but I keep going back to Evarts (Black Mountain) for the people.

Old 03-08-2009, 06:09 PM
Weekend Warrior

going to ride in Evarts going to cast you they now have a permit system. seems like it is $35.00 a year to ride on park, if you get a guided tour off park with the Ridgerunner won't have to pay it, for more info check out the web site
http://kyoutdoors.org/forums/index.php

quote from Ridge Runner forum

below is a letter from the chairman of the Harlan Co. Recreation Board...I do know that when they do go on sale...you can purchase them at the Chevron in Evarts...open 24/7...the date do not... know as of yet..any questions..OR COMMENTS...please send the to the email in the letter...I will let this topic float a day or two..then make a sticky out of it.
Remember..we have no answers on this board...so email or call the contact person in the letter...ride safe all.

Harlan County Outdoor Recreation Board Authority, Inc.

P.O. Box 489

Harlan, KY 40831

Phone: 606-573-4495

Fax: 606-573-9485

January 16, 2009

To All Visitors:

It is the goal of the Harlan County Outdoor Recreation Board Authority to provide our visitors with the best possible off-road destination in Eastern Kentucky. While the Black Mountain Off-Road Adventure Area has many local supporters who help make it what it is, necessary funds are vital for its growth and development.

A permit fee system has been enacted to ride on Black Mountain Off-Road Adventure Area. This permit system will grant the funds necessary for maintenance of the park, security, enhancement of existing trails, fund new trails and necessary projects for the improvement of the park.

Permits can be purchased yearly or monthly and are sold per vehicle. A yearly pass can be purchased at $35.00 or a 31 day pass can be purchased for $20.00 per vehicle.

Owners of multiple vehicles can purchase one pass for up to three vehicles. All the vehicles will be listed in our database. However, the purchaser will only be allowed one vehicle on the park at a time. The permit will be changed to the vehicle in use for that day. The yearly permit will be at cost of $40.00 or the 31 day permit can be purchased at a cost of $25.00. The permit could not be permanently fixed to any vehicle since only one permit would be given.

Family permits will also be available for purchase. These permits are for owners of several vehicles that would use more than one vehicle on the park at a time. This would be considered a family situation. Each vehicle would receive a sticker and I.D. The cost of the first vehicle would be $35.00, the second would be $30.00, the third and all others would be $20.00. There will be no family permits for 31 days.

For more information on any of the permits listed above or to inquire when and where they will be available for purchase please contact the board secretary, Susan Haught at 606-573-4495 or you can email her at shaught@harlanonline.net.

Thank you for your support and for making Black Mountain Off-road Adventure Area among the top 10 off-road destinations in the U.S.