Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Massachussets ATV trails>???

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 02:57 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Massachussets ATV trails>???

Sorry if I spelled Massachussets wrong..

Has anyone ridden ATV trails in Mass.? I am probably going there this summer and I am wondering if they are any good.

Thanks

Old 06-04-2009, 06:03 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Hi Suzi, this is information from Mass. ORV site. I don't ride in Mass. due to cost here. I usually ride in NH:
Massachusetts State Forest Riding Areas

Western Massachusetts

These four forests are open to ORV use through the partnership of the Berkshire Trails Council and local ORV clubs who help to maintain the trails for all visitors. ORV trails in Western Massachusetts are challenging and only suitable for the intermediate to expert rider. For more detailed information, trail maps and directions go to Department of Conservation and Recreation

Beartown State Forest (Lee, Great Barrington and Monterey) tel. # (413)528-0904
Approximately 25 miles of ORV trails suitable for motorcycles or ATVs.

October Mountain State Forest (Lee, Lenox, Washington and Becket) tel. # (413)243-1778
Approximately 30 miles of ORV trails suitable for motorcycles or ATVs.

Pittsfield State Forest (Pittsfield, Lanesboro and Hancock) tel. # (413)442-8992
Approximately 36 miles of ORV trails suitable for motorcycles or ATVs.

Tolland State Forest (Tolland, Sandisfield and Otis)
tel. # (413)269-6002

Approximately 15 miles of OHV trails best suited to MGL c. 90 registered motorcycles (motorcycles registered and equipped to ride on public roads). Many Tolland trails merge with public ways where ATV use is prohibited. ATV riders will find more suitable trails in Beartown, October Mt. and Pittsfield State Forests.

Southeastern Massachusetts

These two forests are open to ORV use through the partnership of the Pilgrim Sands Trail Riders and King Philip Trail Riders who help to maintain the trails for all visitors. For more detailed information, trail maps and directions go to Department of Conservation and Recreation

Freetown-Fall River State Forest (Freetown and Fall River) tel. # (508)644-5522
Approximately 25 miles of singe track trails for the expert rider. Motorcycles only.

F. Gilbert Hills, Wrentham and Franklin State Forests (Foxboro, Wrentham and Franklin) tel. # (508)543-9084
Approximately 8 miles of single track motorcycle trail in each of the three forests. Best suited to intermediate to expert riders. Motorcycles only.

Savoy Mountain State Forest and Georgetown – Rowley State Forest are closed to ORV riding.

Old 06-06-2009, 09:43 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks, I will look into that Pittsfield one first. It has 36 miles of trails ;D

Where do you ride in NH?

Old 06-06-2009, 11:53 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

I've ridden mostly on the SCATV (Sullivan County ATV) trails. I'm a member there along with my family and a friend is also a member. Good trails. I've also been to the Hopkinton/Everett area and that has some nice soft sand areas to play in. I've been on the Derry/Fremont railtrail and use the Sugar River railtrail to get into Claremont sometimes. I have property in Barnard, VT. There are trails that go right through the property. It's just that it is an extra 45 minutes of driving to get there.

Old 08-31-2009, 08:14 AM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't know if you're still looking for mass trails- pittsfield is nice, depending on the season- it's real muddy in the spring- some beautiful riding in the fall though when the leaves start to change.
You can ride in wrenthem / franklin but you'll hate it. Tight rocky trails with lots of roots- it says "single track" but there's a lot of atv's riding there also (I was one of them ) It's really not worth your time-

Also- You're more then welcome to park at my house and ride the trails around me- I have probably 30 - 50 miles of wide open atv / logging trails from my back yard- a lot of trails lead to pits and large lakes. Nobody around to bother you. I live in Douglas, Ma 01516. Shoot me an email if you're ever in the area- always looking to ride with someone.

Old 08-31-2009, 10:10 PM
Pro Rider

planning to go on Mass too! good thing i bumped on this thread ! thanks!

Old 09-06-2009, 09:02 PM
Pro Rider

Mass trails are garbage.. especially if you are from Eastern mass... if you are gonna drive 2 hours to Western mass.. just go north! Save your registration $$$ and just ride in NH or Maine... Pittsfield is boring you ride it once and you are bored.. plus there are ALOT of dirtbikers out there.. and they don't like slow ATV's..

Old 09-07-2009, 12:04 PM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.

Mass trails are garbage.. especially if you are from Eastern mass
Couldn't disagree more! The October Mountain & Pittsfield trails are nice- I've been riding in Mass for over 20 years and have found some pretty nice areas to ride. There's a lot of private club's in the worcester area that allow atv's on their property for a very small fee- Like $100 year. There's a ton of legal riding in Mass- if you do some research on the subject you'll see for yourself. I can ride from Foxwoods Ct, to Wallum Lake in Douglas- (40 miles of trails) and I haven't even started on the other trail systems in the area. Beats driving 4 hours to a NH trail- just to get there and turn around because it's washed out - It's happened to me a few times. That's a long drive for nothing.
Some NH trails are nice- but after a long day of work the last thing I'm doing is driving 4+ hours to a NH trail when October Mountain is only 90 minutes away from central Ma.

Old 09-22-2009, 09:55 AM
Pro Rider

Hey Beergut:

Would love more info on those trails around Douglas. I live in Millbury and would love to ride with you some time. Have been to the state parks out west. They are fun, but sometimes you want something closer to home. email me if you still read this board. Thanks!

Old 09-22-2009, 11:03 AM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ

Hey wilson-
I'm always looking for someone to ride with! I'm waiting on new tie rods for my KQ (hitting big rocks with oversized tires at 35 mph = bent tie rods and sore wrists ) My rods should be here this week tho-

I'm usually on the trails every weekend- fall is the best time to ride imo.

ready when you are!