Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

PENNSYLVANIA RIDERS

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-1999, 11:47 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm from outside Tamaqua, 25 miles nortwest of Allentown. I ride around the local farms during the week, but on Sundays, it's off to the silt dumps and trails between Tamaqua, Pottsville, Nesquehoning and Lehighton. There are some huge hillclimbs, 300-400 feet, and the silt dumps are basically black sand dunes.
Some of the coolest places are the abandoned strip mines and quarries. These things have some HUGE mudholes. The Scrambler is an great quad for this area, it's awesome in the sand and on the trails. In the mud, well let's just say I have yet to get it stuck(probably because I am cautious and usually won't go into those holes I can see swallowed other quads). I don't mean I don't go in the deep stuff, I have already spit bubbles in the slop with my exhaust, I just won't go where I know there is no chance I'll make it.

Mike

------------------
Mike...99 Scrambler 400, 94 Kawasaki Bayou 400(newly rebuilt), 99 Impuls 50(Matt's)

Old 10-13-1999, 09:52 PM
Range Rover

Hey Steve and Adam, you guys think its worth the trip from Pittsburgh to check out the "Pismo of the east"? Sounds like a hair-raising blast! The only problem is an 8 hour plus drive across rt80 to have a day's fun and excitement...which brings to mind, can you camp there for the weekend? The trails sound good for the family (gotta do that too)...is there enough to keep entertained for a whole weekend?

------------------
Steve Small, 00' 400ex, 00' 325 Trail Boss for the Mrs.

Old 10-16-1999, 06:45 PM
Range Rover

i can't believe that someone on here knows where the jermyn is! amazing place, huh? i climb most of the hills there with my lt250r, but there are some nasty hills. adam, i have seen the guys with the lt500's riding there, there are actualy two of them that i have seen, both mint condition. isn't their name bestein, that own those 500's? yeah, i have also heard one guys on cr's, kx's, etc. trying to climb the one side, jump over the top, and land on the other side, nuts!! its definitely an awsome place to ride. i am so glad to hear that they have no intensions of tearing them down. so many other piles have been ripped down already. i hear there are killer coal dumps down near pittston area. i have seen one, unblieveable!! well, i hope to have a new scrambler 400 soon, can't wait to test it out on the jermyn. have to get together maybe to ride. i don't have many people to ride with around here anymore. have a friend in carbondale that just bought a new tb, but he is married w/children, so you know how often he gets out riding!

Old 10-16-1999, 11:07 PM
Pro Rider

It is impressive and somtimes verry scarry.You must know your limitations.Any body know who's going up the back of that seven story pile.The one that goes up three storys at 50 degrees then table tops for about 30 feet then climbs again,arcing up to 70 degrees four more storys to the top.I see the tracks but you'd need 50-60 HP And sac to do it.I came down the the trail next to it.Wooo.Whh.It's the kind of hill that when you stand at the top and look over,The tracks just disapear downward.And you can't see the trail till you commit to it.I came down the first four storys pretty good then gravity took over,And went into almost a full slide for the next two storys picking up speed.Then had to let off the brakes entirely,Free roll the last story exiting across a small swale getting airborn and landing on flat mother earth at about 25mph.Wooohh.I proceeded to take off my helmet and have a smoke to ponder what i did.While my friends came around the other way three minutes later.

Extreme it's definitly worth the trip,But I'd make it a three dayer if I was you.With drive time and all.Their's plenty to do for the whole family.I think I could spend a whole week up there without going over the same trail twice.From the NY border all the way to Willksbourgh,With gas stops at the pumps to good resturants you park your quad right out front.My budy eric brings his four year old son along with him in the 85 Oddesy.Would you beleave that kid falls asleep on the way back to base camp.Let me do some more recon on the camping.I'll be in touch.

A closer base camp would be nice.

I have more info about the clubs that maintain some of the sections of the trail system.Gota go the Flyers are one and I'm getting thirsty.See yea.

Old 10-17-1999, 01:54 PM
Range Rover

EXtreme,
haha, this is scranton, entertainment???? thats why i have a quad and i go to the gym alot!! well if you are coming here to ride, as trx said, there are plenty of trials to keep you busy for the weekend. there are tons of coal dumps, and also many tight twisty mountainous trails. i love riding around here. i have heard that the authorities have been cracking down on people for riding next to the rr tracks, but for me, its a straight shot, about 10 miles on the rr tracks to the 7 story piles from my house. so i ride them. never had any problems with the authorities so far. guess i have been lucky. when i ride roads, if i have to, and only if i have to, i try to keep it slow and obey all traffic laws. heck, if i do happen to be bothered by the law, i think an LT can beat a chevy caprice! hahaha. just kidding, never had to do it yet. they generally don't bother you around here unless you are tearing up and down the roads. as far as camping, well now that winter is near, i don't know if would be advisable, unless you are one of those winnabago (is that how you speel it?) type guys. but anyhow, i know there is alot of country side all around here, i mean within a 10, 15 mintue drive of the valley here. offhand i know of only the state park that is about 20 mintue drive or so from the 7 story piles. i can always look into other places to camp if you want.

bigdevil 85 lt250r

Old 10-17-1999, 05:54 PM
Range Rover

keep me posted, fellas...as far as camping, we do have trailers,etc and just need a primitave place to hang out.

------------------
Steve Small, 00' 400ex, 00' 325 Trail Boss for the Mrs.

Old 10-17-1999, 07:51 PM
Trailblazer

Yes, there are 2 500's both mint, but I think only 1 has pipes, but I'm not sure. They also have a 350X and a 400EX. Some of the people there are CRAZY! I live up in Montdale, we used to ride over through the game lands and into jermyn until people started getting busted on the tracks, so now we just take the truck with a trailer. How often do you go there? Usually we go on sunday, but not lately since it's been cold. Also because I traded my 350X for a race ready blaster and my blaster was stolen. But I have a friend who knows a kid that has a 250R for sale, so I'm gonna buy that. maybe you've seen us before, the quads we usually had were and 89 LT250, my 350X, a 300ex, and a blaster. By the way, what's your name?

Old 10-18-1999, 08:18 PM
Range Rover

forget about the LT for sale. its gone, sold today. in a way i am sorry to see it go. i did enjoy the quad, but i am looking forward to buying a scrambler, i just hope i have good luck with it. most mechanical things i buy i have pretty good luck with, so i hope it will be the same with the scrambler. even though i am from this country, and love it, i am alittle skeptical about buying american. MOST americans are lazy and don't take pride in their work. i hope polaris can prove me wrong. well, if all else fails, i will get rid of the scrambler and set out on an endless search for one of those "best quad ever made" '86-'89 foutrax 250r's. hope it won't come down to that, i have high hope for the scrambler. well, thanks for all the info everyone. i'll let you know if i get my toy, hopefully before xmas.

bigdevil (quadless at this time)

Old 10-20-1999, 02:16 PM
Trailblazer

How far are these places in Pennsylvania from Baltimore, Maryland. My friends and I want to come up there LIKE NOW..

Old 10-20-1999, 02:16 PM
Trailblazer

How far are these places in Pennsylvania from Baltimore, Maryland. My friends and I want to come up there LIKE NOW..

Quick Reply: PENNSYLVANIA RIDERS