Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Let's get a ride to Tasker's Gap in VA

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-1999, 01:05 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I plan on making the trip to Taskers Gap on the 27th.I believe I will be accompanied by a couple of other riders but I'm unsure who will come along right now.

I will be bringing my '85 Odyssey which has plenty of ground clearance but doesn’t have very much low-end grunt and has a pretty high rpm engagement clutch (I have ordered a new Comet 94c.). So I will probably try to avoid some the nastier rock crawling and stick to the faster trails.

Will anyone else be there be riding "sport" atv’s? Will you be riding that day Venomous?

I look forward meeting my fellow riders from this forum and having a good time.

Eric

Old 11-19-1999, 02:12 PM
Pro Rider

Great!

Look forwards to seeing you Eric. I will be there with my trusty stock King Quad 300 (green - aren't all 4X4 utility quads green?). I will be wearing a black and silver helmet. The famous Steve Thompson will also be there with his mighty, modified, rocket-red Polaris Sportsman 500. We are hoping that Tree Farmer will be on the trails, but we'll just have to wait and see.

[This message has been edited by kclayd (edited 11-19-1999).]

Old 11-20-1999, 06:26 PM
Pro Rider

TreeFarmer provided the following information about places to stay at taskers gap:

Creekside commercial campground at Edinburg has full RV hookups (including
cable TV), hot showers, etc., for about $ 20/night, as well as tent sites at
lower prices. You're about 4 miles from the trailhead here.

Little Fort has about 20 primitive (free) campsites, right on the
trail--stage from here.

Check out nvtr.org, the trail maps (which include driving directions) and
the reprint of the Tasker's Gap feature article (also available from the ATV
Connection) for other tips.

The Woodstock Ramada Inn is convenient (hot link on the Tasker's Gap
article); about 7 miles from trailhead.

Is it true that MAX6X6 will be there???

Old 11-20-1999, 08:26 PM
Range Rover

Steve,

My group was comtemplating a trip to Taskers Gap, but we are concerned that the amount and length of trails were not sufficient to warrant a 6+ hour drive. When we make trips that long, we like to stay overnight and ride two days at least. So please post your experiences there, as it will help us decide.

Old 11-21-1999, 12:32 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

TheBoy, regarding helmets at Tasker's Gap, VA, law or not (it IS the law), enforced or not (although on Federal land, the site is remote), without a helmet, I'd recommend you stay home. I prefer you not break any of our rocks with your head!

SCMan, whether Tasker's Gap/Peters Mill Run Road (Powell Mountain Trail) is worth an investment of your time and effort depends largely upon your own interest, skill, riding style, and familiarity with rocky mountain trails. I doubt kclayd or anyone else can answer your question adequately; I think you must judge for yourself.

The map available at nvtr.org is two-dimensional, it doesn't reflect the trails' differences in difficulty, for example, of the relatively high-speed Tasker's Gap Road, or the quad-eating Tasker's Gap Run Trail, whose several hundred yards will take you as long as several miles on the former (Tasker's Run Trail is optional). The map shows only the beginning of the Peters Mill Run Road (Powell Mountain Trail), leading seven miles from the trailhead to Little Fort camp, crossing the Blue Ridge summit at that point.

I believe the information contained in the feature article, including its imbedded links to the Northern Virginia Trail Riders, the US Forest Service, the Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles, the Woodstock Ramada Inn; as well as the telephone number of the President of the Faguier Free-Wheelers ATV Club, and the comments of a half-dozen experienced riders who've ridden the trails, provide enough information for you to decide whether to chance a visit to Tasker's Gap some day.

Driving directions from the east are printed on the trail map at nvtr.org; if anyone plans approaching the area from the south on Interstate 81 AND camping at Little Fort, E-mail me and I'll provide supplemental directions perhaps saving time and inconvenience.

Tree Farmer

Old 11-21-1999, 02:56 PM
Weekend Warrior

got a quick side note here for you:

i'm told by a friend of mine that the atv helmet law is enforced up there(VA)... and i checked... it is a law. Can a local verify this??? cause if so, could pose a problem for myself, being i don't own one.

check out http://www.fs.fed.us/gwjnf/orvtrails.html for yourself.

-just info.
-brian.

Old 11-21-1999, 03:47 PM
Range Rover

Tree Farmer

Read my post on Tellico under "Where in NC". You will see we have the interest, we have the skill (based soley on experience, since this may be an arbitrary measurement), we believe we have the riding style necessary (again, based on experience) and we are certainly familiar with rocky mountain trails (we live at the base of the Great Smokies).

The concern was not with the conditions. We have never shied away from a doable challenge. We are not reckless, but we do enjoy the rush from successfully negotiating a difficult climb, mudhole, whatever. Furthermore, we actively search for new and more challenging riding spots. I believe we can keep up with you 'big boys'.

The concern was whether or not there were enough trails to warrant the drive. We'd rather not drive for 6+ hours, ride for 6 hours and drive home. The map we have does not indicate a lot of trail mileage. If the difficulty makes up for this, then great. Having ridden these trails, ask yourself "would I drive 12+ hours roundtrip and stay overnight to ride here?". That's all I asked.

The inquiry was directed at Steve Thompson (aka myscrambler). At the time I posted it, I was not aware kclayd was going. However, whether or not either of them is able to give me an answer is something I think they can decide for themselves.

[This message has been edited by SCman (edited 11-21-1999).]

Old 11-21-1999, 03:54 PM
Pro Rider

I'm sure the trails are very good, but I think the fellowship will be even better. I am looking forwards to riding with the same guys I have met here. We may not have another chance like this for awhile.

Hope everyone makes it!

(By the way, SCman's 2 articles on Telico can be found under the "Where in North Carolina?" thread of the "Where to Ride Topic." They are pretty, doggone good.)

[This message has been edited by kclayd (edited 11-21-1999).]

Old 11-21-1999, 04:03 PM
Range Rover

Alas, kclay, I have family coming from Tenn. for the holiday weekend. Since the Polaris rider in our little group is my brother-in-law, that ties him up too.

I just wanted the opinions/info for future consideration. Thanks.

Old 11-21-1999, 04:55 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

SCMan, I fail to communicate.

I never intended suggesting Tasker's Gap was either too challenging or too easy for you. I merely said the suitability of Tasker's Gap for you and your group depends heavily upon your own preferences; preferences I would not infer.

Given your obvious experience and expertise described in you post above, a more challenging area like Tellico (I hear) might be more your cup of tea.

Regardless, access to Tasker's Gap remains public and you are welcome should you ever decide upon riding here.

Tree Farmer

Quick Reply: Let's get a ride to Tasker's Gap in VA