Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Sunrise Trail in Maine!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2010, 08:26 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sunrise Trail in Maine!!

We rode the Sunrise trail from Ellsworth and headed East it was great. Plenty of miles but we needed more time. Tom B.

Old 10-30-2010, 02:49 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Maine seems to be pulling out all the stops as far as riding goes. We went up to Jackman thinking we could do Jackman to Greenville and back in one day. Nope... They have lots of miles!

Old 11-07-2010, 07:46 PM
Weekend Warrior

We rode the Sunrise Trail in mid October from Franklin to Cherryfield and back. Nice very easy ride. Flat and smooth. Other side trails linking to this trail seemed interesting too.

We rode from Newport to Dexter and back on the railbed trail today. Pretty darn cold today and not really dressed for it, but still interesting. More to see on this trail (so far) than on the segment of the Sunrise trail that I have done. Farms, fields, woods, roads, towns, stores, camps, restuarants, lakes, houses, businesses--quite a mix really.

I would like to ride from Newport to Greenville. Has anyone done this? Is it possible? I've heard that it is possible, but can't find it on a map.

Thanks!

Old 11-07-2010, 10:58 PM
Pro Rider

I tried to goto greenville one day .... Uhhhhhhh I got lost and almost died of exposure LOL It does exist though. I would only try it if someone there knew the way.. Gas can get kinda scarce out there.... Dude you know that gas station right at the trail head in newport they sell BBQ spare ribs at like 8am in the morning... I ate a ton of them and almost **** myself that day.. what I'm saying is don't eat too many BBQ ribs at 8am bad idea!!!

I got a question though.. when do those trails around newport close for ATVs anyhow? This winter is almost here and I feel if i don't go riding again soon I might lose it =)

Old 11-08-2010, 07:11 AM
Pro Rider

Guys please take some pics,love to see what it looks like,gonna ride up there sometime too,, and those BBQ ribs sound awesome!!! lol.

Old 11-08-2010, 12:18 PM
Pro Rider

I just got ahold of every picture taken of us wheeling for the last 3 years.. I'll post some later today maybe.. it's some funny stuff I promise you that LOL

Old 11-08-2010, 07:45 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Troyboy68
Guys please take some pics,love to see what it looks like,gonna ride up there sometime too,, and those BBQ ribs sound awesome!!! lol.
I think, That trail, you can not expect more than this.

Old 11-10-2010, 06:03 AM
Weekend Warrior

Unit6666,
Thanks for the information. I may try it alone some day. I was looking for a trip to include the wife and kids so it's going to have to be a sure thing. And easy. The trip from Newport to Dexter is very easy and I sexpect the same to Dover Foxcroft. It looks like the guess work starts at that point.
The Maine ATV map leaves alot to be desired. Much better than nothing, but still could be better. I'm going to have to start contacting the local clubs to get some local maps.

Old 11-12-2010, 06:02 AM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by unit6666
Dude you know that gas station right at the trail head in newport they sell BBQ spare ribs at like 8am in the morning... I ate a ton of them and almost **** myself that day.. what I'm saying is don't eat too many BBQ ribs at 8am bad idea!!!

Oh great! Troy will never leave that place- has to have a food product within arms reach 24/7

I'd like to check that system out- sounds fun! I'm sure I can get there from my back yard here in douglas, ma... some how

Old 11-17-2010, 11:18 PM
Pro Rider

The Maine ATV statewide map is really only good for a general idea of riding spots. atvmaine.org has a list of clubs, which usually have better maps. Though, really having a local is the best way. I know that I've ridden with club members who have built the trails, and the trails they take to get places aren't always the way you may think to go. Usually though, if the trails are properly signed, you can find your way. I hope to check out the new Downeast rail trail next year, there is definetly some long rides to be done out that way too. In Aroostook county you can ride from one end to the other, and to about every business you can imagine too. Alot of towns allow some degree of riding on the roads as well.

Quick Reply: Sunrise Trail in Maine!!