Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Hatfield McCoy trail KML maps for google earth

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2013, 07:30 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hatfield McCoy trail KML maps for google earth

Looking to take my first trip to HMT this spring. Was wondering if there is a downloadable KML file of the trail system I can load into google earth to scope out the trails ahead of time?

Old 03-09-2013, 10:30 AM
Range Rover

What trail system are you heading to?

Old 03-09-2013, 03:10 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by DogRunner2
What trail system are you heading to?
I'm thinking probably Rockhouse but maybe end up at Pinnacle and Indian.

I've seen the printable maps but it would be cool to load the trails into google earth.

Old 03-09-2013, 07:34 PM
Pro Rider

I have gpx files that can be opened in Google Earth. They aren't marked and colored for difficulty, but I think they should serve your purpose. Unfortunately, this forum doesn't allow the upload of that file type. Send me a pm w/ your email address and I will respond with tracks for Indian Ridge, Pinnacle Creek, and Rockhouse. You will have to open Google Earth, go to File Open and then change the file type to .gps/.gpx and then select the files I send you. The Rockhouse map also has some waypoints marking the points of interest so you can see more clearly where they are located than HMTs maps show. We live in Ohio and make 4 trips to HMT each year. We have ridden all 7 systems and can suggest food and lodging on most of them. Each system has something different to offer so we try to hit them all each year. If you are going for the first time, I would suggest passing up the lure of the 200+ connected miles Indian Ridge, Pinnacle Creek, and Pocahontas in favor of Rockhouse. I honestly don't know that the riding is really much better there, but staying in/around Gilbert and interracting with the locals there will give you the real southern WV experience. I don't know that I have ever met more friendly people. If you are staying for more than 2 days, I would suggest considering hitting multiple systems during your stay. Coming from the north we usually leave after work and go down to Rockhouse. We ride there a day or two and then trailer to Buffalo Mountain for a day (45 minute drive). Then we get up the next day and start back north first thing in the morning and stop at Bear Wallow for a full day of riding. We then load from there and keep going north up to Little Coal River campground. We camp there for the night, get up and ride a half day and visit the HMT welcome center, and then head for home. In 4-5 days we ride 400+ miles. It is by far the highlight of my summer. In the Spring we head down and stay at Ashland Resort. It is central to the three connected systems down there. We leave from camp and ride to mullens for lunch and ride that half of pinnacle creek before heading back for camp. After dinner we ride the trails around Ashland and come back in just before the sun sets. The second day we leave and head up to pineville for lunch and then ride that side of Pinnacle Creek before heading back. After dinner we hit any of Indian Ridge we missed the previous evening. The third day we ride all of pocahontas. This is about a 3 hour further drive home for us than leaving from Little Coal River so we spend the night and head home the next morning. Whatever system you decide on, I assure you that you will be happy with your choice. Like I said, if you have any questions on any of the systems, just ask!

Old 03-10-2013, 08:08 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by Mud Slinger
I have gpx files that can be opened in Google Earth. They aren't marked and colored for difficulty, but I think they should serve your purpose. Unfortunately, this forum doesn't allow the upload of that file type. Send me a pm w/ your email address and I will respond with tracks for Indian Ridge, Pinnacle Creek, and Rockhouse. You will have to open Google Earth, go to File Open and then change the file type to .gps/.gpx and then select the files I send you. The Rockhouse map also has some waypoints marking the points of interest so you can see more clearly where they are located than HMTs maps show. We live in Ohio and make 4 trips to HMT each year. We have ridden all 7 systems and can suggest food and lodging on most of them. Each system has something different to offer so we try to hit them all each year. If you are going for the first time, I would suggest passing up the lure of the 200+ connected miles Indian Ridge, Pinnacle Creek, and Pocahontas in favor of Rockhouse. I honestly don't know that the riding is really much better there, but staying in/around Gilbert and interracting with the locals there will give you the real southern WV experience. I don't know that I have ever met more friendly people. If you are staying for more than 2 days, I would suggest considering hitting multiple systems during your stay. Coming from the north we usually leave after work and go down to Rockhouse. We ride there a day or two and then trailer to Buffalo Mountain for a day (45 minute drive). Then we get up the next day and start back north first thing in the morning and stop at Bear Wallow for a full day of riding. We then load from there and keep going north up to Little Coal River campground. We camp there for the night, get up and ride a half day and visit the HMT welcome center, and then head for home. In 4-5 days we ride 400+ miles. It is by far the highlight of my summer. In the Spring we head down and stay at Ashland Resort. It is central to the three connected systems down there. We leave from camp and ride to mullens for lunch and ride that half of pinnacle creek before heading back for camp. After dinner we ride the trails around Ashland and come back in just before the sun sets. The second day we leave and head up to pineville for lunch and then ride that side of Pinnacle Creek before heading back. After dinner we hit any of Indian Ridge we missed the previous evening. The third day we ride all of pocahontas. This is about a 3 hour further drive home for us than leaving from Little Coal River so we spend the night and head home the next morning. Whatever system you decide on, I assure you that you will be happy with your choice. Like I said, if you have any questions on any of the systems, just ask!
Great info. Thanks. I sent you a PM.

Old 04-06-2013, 08:23 PM
Weekend Warrior

I also am interested in the maps an semt a pm as well.

Old 04-07-2013, 12:33 PM
Pro Rider

I didn't get your PM!

Old 05-12-2013, 09:21 PM
Range Rover

Mud Slinger,

We are from the Buckeye state and have been hitting HMT for about 4-5 years now. We LOVE it down there and we don't even bother riding in Ohio anymore. Not to mention they increased the registration fees here and we have NO trail system up north!!!!

We have ridden LCR, Pinnacle, Pocahontas and Indian Ridge. We have ridden very little of Pinnacle due to a crash last year but plan to make up for it this year!!

We stayed at Ashland for the first time last year and have to say it is the best campground down there!! We can't wait to return!! We are always looking for like-minded people to ride with so maybe we could hook up down at HMT sometime.

We ride as a family; myself, the wife and two kids. They have honed their skills on the HMT system! We have never ridden Buffalo, Rock or Bear but are thinking of doing so this fall. We can't wait for Ivy to open so we can check that out. The articles I've read state they are going to build a bridge to connect LCR and Ivy. That would be great!!

Originally Posted by Mud Slinger