Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Where to ride in Michigan

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2018, 05:20 PM
Country Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where to ride in Michigan

Hey everyone,

So I have a 2007 400ex (and a raptor 350) and my family has quads too. We have some trails around the house but we like trial riding on state trails too.

So I live on the western side of Michigan (near Grand Rapids) and the closer the trail the bettor. Id like some suggestion of trails people have ridden near by. I Prefer wider trails. So far the best trail I know of is Tin Cup trail but I want to find some more good trails fairly close.

Thanks

Old 01-04-2018, 07:22 PM
Pro Rider
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Michigan has lots of trails, all over the state. The popular area is the Silver lake sand dunes on the west coast of Mi. Most of the state forests have a trail system in place. Go to Michigan state trails and start reading, you will find lots of places to ride. The UP is another great place to ride, trails are not well marked so a gps is needed but most all the small towns up there are atv friendly.

Old 01-04-2018, 08:00 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This page shows where all the public trails in the whole state are, national forest and state land. You can download all of the maps here too. It looks like there are mainly motorcycle trails on the west side of the state. I've never been over there. North Missaukee is an ORV Trail, ORV Route, Motorcycle & MCCCT trail. It's a big trail system that I would like to ride some time but it's too far from home, probably for you too.

DNR - ORV/ATV Trail Maps

Old 01-05-2018, 08:05 AM
Country Rider

Thanks for the replies. I have looked at that map but there are so many trails and I don't know what the trails look like.

Keep sending suggestions and info, thanks

Old 01-05-2018, 04:01 PM
Moto Psycho

When I got my first ATV I didn't know where any of the trails were or what they were like. Each time I wanted to check out a new trail I just picked one that was within a few hours of me. Between the maps I got in the mail from the DNR (the same as the ones online) and my DeLorme atlas, I was able to find several of them. So I went to many different trails and the ones I liked best I went back to. My GPS doesn't have maps in it for roads or trails. If it did I wouldn't need the atlas. https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/57...AA-008858-000#

Old 01-09-2018, 04:46 PM
Pro Rider
Old 01-09-2018, 11:40 PM
Moto Psycho

Originally Posted by John32070
I keep forgetting about that site. They list a lot of privately owned ATV parks. I've never been to one, so I don't even know where they are, how much they cost, or if they're any good. Hopefully someone else will share their experience about them. Out of curiosity I checked the 2 closest to me. One is an indoor motocross track that closed but is still listed there, and the other one is an ORV park that is supposed to open some time this year. I'm batting 0 for 2 so far. It looks like a lot of the privately owned places are motocross tracks.

I checked more sites near me. The Mounds ORV area is really close, but other than Silver Lake it's the only publicly owned place in the state I know of where you have to pay to ride. I went there once when it was free and wasn't impressed enough to go back. One of my brothers goes there to play in the mud on his Sportsman 850 High Lifter, which isn't much good for anything else. Another place is open some weekends. Another has a track about a mile long. And finally there's a place with a 1.75 mile main track with a $5 entry fee and a $25 rider fee.

That's everything near me. I always drive to where there are good public trails in the woods that don't cost anything to ride, except for the ORV stickers you have to buy every year. Pay once and you can ride all over the state for a year. If I ride 100 miles in a day it's going to be 50 miles and back on a trail, not 100 laps on a 1 mile track.

Old 01-10-2018, 04:04 PM
Country Rider

Thanks for that link. Ive never seen that website before. A lot of them are privately owned tracks but that is still nice for me to have that map/website, thanks

Old 01-10-2018, 04:32 PM
Pro Rider

They are usually pretty good with info on cost and such, and if you scroll down sometimes there are user comments about each place.

Old 01-10-2018, 11:12 PM
Moto Psycho

That site would be a great resource if you're going out of state too. I've seen posts where people are in Ohio and looking for places to ride in Michigan, for example. Their Hatfield McCoy page has a lot of info all in one place too. https://www.riderplanet-usa.com/atv/.../ride_1e9c.htm