Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

N. Michigan: St Helen, Mio, Rose City, West Brabch

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2018, 10:12 PM
THE BERMINATOR
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My thumb warmers all had a small heating element that sticks on the throttle like a piece of tape and came with a piece of shrink tubing to go over it. Nice and neat looking, and easy to install. Mine have all had a high/low switch that I mounted in the headlight pod near the speedometer. The only thing between my thumb and the heating element is the shrink tubing and if I don't wear gloves it gets too hot. If I put it on high and wait a few minutes then put my thumb on it, it feels like touching a stove. But it feels good through winter gloves when it's really cold out.

Old 11-30-2018, 09:28 AM
Pro Rider
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

kymco buddy, I would give everything I own!! to live out, way out, in areas like you have the privilege of living, but, but, but, I really hate to admit this, BUT my wife and I have everything here, within almost walking distance, no more than 2 miles away, here in the city of Taylor, which really is golden for us, when you consider how often ''almost daily'' needing ''stuff'', like the many drug stores, Meier and Walmart, auto parts, dr's, every fast food on the planet on top of us (not a big fan for either of us, home cooking daily is us, but when the crave hits....), brand new just opened Menards w/proposed big box stores coming soon all around it. very successful Southland Mall (where most of these old malls are closing), newer home depot almost across the street! (the day i found out home depot was purchasing the old kmart property (which is the reason for our buying the home were still in....Blue light specials!! lol and could see the blue light flashing from our front room window, boy those were the days w/their home cooked meals, and the greasy burger/onion smells all over the store!! sure miss them days!! They even had a great little lumber yard section w/ well stocked plumbing, elect dept, that you could count on!!) ''and I hit the roof'' after finding out my second best store ever, was going to be the new Home depot, (a little carpenter humor there lol) especially after being in the construction field my whole life, being fortunately brought up w/ carpenter dad and then carpenter stepdad) Plus the most important thing is, if I lived out in the country where I could ride as much as I cared to, I'm sure I wouldn't crave the sport nearly as much as I have since our first atv purchase in 86, and having owned 20 since! Not bragging just feel so fortunate to have discovered the thrill of trail riding, and if it hadn't been for my closest friend growing up with, and with him bugging me for nearly 10 years to join up and try it out, then nearly the year I started, he lost interest and sold everything atv related, go figure, but if it weren't for his persistent/persuading/bugging/insisting I might not have ever found my real joy in life, for sure!! Next to sex that is lol

and you Mr. Big Frank, you talked me into that thumb warmer, so I just bought the last affordable one on internet, for just $16. THE LAST ONE! Didn't even know they made such a thing'ie, but you can ask Mr Kymco there, where my only complaint, while out riding, was my hands getting numb cold, especially while riding long term, w/ 3 layers of gloves on, at faster speeds, feeling like 20 below w/ wind chill factor! And with him, all cozy comfortable in his sxs w/ rear engine heat enveloping all around him, almost enclosed!! w/windshield, Big cushy warm bench seat, nearly recliner like!! la de da da lol Where I'm out there in the elements, freezing my bolts and nuts off, but not all negative/complaining while having a nice warm motor home to go home to ea night, where temps dropped below freezing ea night, made it all worth it! lol Great memorial weekend for sure!! Think you sir, for that! Hopefully next season we can do the 100 mile round trip from St Helen, to Luzerne, Mio, Bull Gap, past pink store lol, Rose City, Clear lk, through West Branch Rose City Hills, back to camp! Plus Little ''O'' That Chris from Indiana, mentioned introducing us to.

Old 11-30-2018, 02:28 PM
Pro Rider
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

I seemed to remember your face getting cold as well even with all the masks you had on! LOL... Now I have a full cab enclosure with a propane heater,...so come on snow!! Anxious to get back up there but not really interested in a one day 100 mile ride! I enjoy riding and not interested in making work out of it, I want to keep it fun and enjoyable not a marathon run. When your looking for a laid back easy going ride to see some scenery let me know....

Old 11-30-2018, 07:05 PM
THE BERMINATOR

60-75 miles is a good day's ride but 100-120 is too much for me and my friends. Everyone's butt gets numb by the time we're done and some of us get sore hands if we go that far.

I had a pair of plastic hand guards on my oldest ATV that I rode in the winter a lot. They kept most of the wind off my hands. I had some good snowmobile gloves back then and always carried an extra pair plus glove liners. I wear an MX style helmet the rest of the year but in the winter always wore an open face helmet. A NO-FOG breath deflector kept my goggles from fogging up, and a turtlefur neck warmer covered my neck from the breath deflector down.

https://www.nofogusa.com/index.html

https://www.turtlefur.com/collections/neck-warmers

Old 11-30-2018, 08:50 PM
Pro Rider

When I rode my quad in the cold I just wore my snowmobile gear. Had a couple of older sleds but soon realized quads were more usefully than snowmobiles. Then again I was younger also. After having the SxS with a cab enclosure I would never go back to a quad, just for the comfort level. Loved my quad, but love the UTV even more, especially in the cold.

Old 11-30-2018, 11:55 PM
Pro Rider

Now that you mentioned it, I'll need to check, maybe they sell a battery operated heated face warmer, that I could plug into my battery on 4x4. That would work for me! lol I could also enclose my quad too, I've got some old extra heavy duty plastic, nearly see through, almost, sorta kinda, and a few 2x4's for framing, and a 4x8 sheet of plywood for a roof, with drip edge and gutter w/ downspout to keep me high and dry! Then I could run a few 100 foot extension cords to plug in my space heater while plowing way down the street, to keep me toasty! Hell I could even nap out there while waiting out those all night'er snow falls, while watching my old nearly forgotten 42'' tv, and mount my 20' tv antenna on roof, where I could turn the quad in the direction of tv channels, when needed! All the comforts of home! Hey Red Green came up with sillier ideas, and they worked pretty good for him! lol All kidding aside, I do know I need to buy a snowmobile helmet from wally-world. I was there today and I never even thought to look for one! Better get back there tomorrow, before there all gone! Especially with this early snow prediction on its way from Siberia, yeah, could be here any time now! I'm almost ready! Hurry up thumb warmer!! All this snow, where will I ever put it all lol I'm still dancing, but maybe not hard enough lol Liquid snow for tomorrow!! All you care to shovel lol

Old 12-01-2018, 12:16 AM
THE BERMINATOR

When you build your cab enclosure don't forget to run an exhaust stack out the back. Or better yet 2 stacks like I've seen on some redneck trucks. They cut holes in the bed of the truck for them. They should build a cage around them so the stacks don't get smashed by something in the back of the truck, but now that I think of it, I've never seen anyone actually hauling anything in those trucks, not even the big dually diesels. These pics may give you an idea what you could do with your ATV.

Old 12-01-2018, 11:47 AM
Pro Rider

I have seen a number of enclosures on quads, but always wondered how the legs and feet are supposed to be kept warm? Good covering for the upper half but not much for the nether region! With the weight of a plywood roof and plexiglass windshield you might not need the sandbags! Don't forget a windshield wiper or mabey adapting to a windshield heater! Will your enclosure have a door or you gonna climb in thru the roof like a sports car? Just thinking of all the different options you could include in your design. Like Frank mentioned you gotta get that exhaust up and outta there, cant have those fumes inside!

Old 12-01-2018, 03:55 PM
Pro Rider

pictures speak a million words!!

Don't leave home without it! Plus this should take the fumes away!!
a simple tarp w/ visqueen! I'll be so stylish!!
I'll start with a good framework naturally!!

Old 12-01-2018, 05:55 PM
Pro Rider

I can see it now...the 12v socket on your quad will have so many plugs going to it that it will look like the plug outlet on Chevy Chases Christmas vacation movie!! Lol

Quick Reply: N. Michigan: St Helen, Mio, Rose City, West Brabch