Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

N. Michigan: St Helen, Mio, Rose City, West Brabch

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2018, 05:29 PM
Pro Rider
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Looking thru my junk pile I found some 6mm thick rubber mat from my mud flaps. Going to make a blade scraper from that material. Going to use double thickness and see how that works. No sense buying more when I have material already!

Old 11-20-2018, 11:23 PM
THE BERMINATOR
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You could even have the edges of the 2 pieces at different heights if you want, so the very edge will be one layer thick and more flexible, but just above that the other piece backs it up so it's stiffer. Now that I think about more, doubled up mud flaps should flex plenty, but the idea might work with stiffer rubber.

Old 11-21-2018, 07:01 AM
Pro Rider
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Got another problem.situation! I just recently bought my Warn plow and has never been used, and if i cant figure out a way to make a way to move the snow with a soft wiper type blade, i wont have any need for keeping it, plus the lack of storage having to store it all year, and will need to sell it, as in as a new condition as possible. Is there a way to test out the rubber wiper without drilling the plow? The other option was to make a skid on ea side of the plow to keep the blade just above the driveway surface and the skies would slide on snow covered surface, without digging up soft gravel and could be adjusted up or down easily on the skids depending on ground firmness/frozen/temp. I figured after seeing in this one pic where the skids were fastened with tie downs wrapped around plow, alleviating the need to drill through the plow!

Old 11-21-2018, 12:05 PM
Pro Rider

You must have a very basic plow blade. Most already have skid feet attached to control how deep the blade goes down. There should also be a wear bar along the bottom to prevent wear on bottom of blade. If your blade doesn't have these features you may want to return it and get a better blade. No drilling should be needed as the holes for the wear plate and the wear plate itself are used for mounting the rubber scraper.

Old 11-21-2018, 06:20 PM
Pro Rider

I went out today to look at the plow, and I haven't had a chance to really look at what they sold me, since I put it ''out of sight out of mind'' thinking i wouldn't need it till the snow starts falling. Plus we've been so busy for my family flying in for the Holiday, getting things ready for the big event tomorrow! Well.... I started to check out the plow, when my 4x4 caught my eye, and gave in to give it some love, started it up, and got up on it, feeling the yearning/dreaming of getting back out, and wished I had some place close by to ride it! Its going to be a long winter! Getting back to the plow here lol, Yes I believe its pretty basic with no skid feet, but from the pictures I've been looking at, the feet/pod I believe might sink down into the soft gravel digging/plowing/churning up gravel then might mix in with plowed snow. Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the feet more for hard ground/concrete surfaces? I watched a video this morning where a plow contractor, demonstrated in detail how to plow loose gravel lots, and what works best for him to prevent plowing up the gravel is to plow in reverse/backwards with plow just off the ground and adjusts the height constantly when listening for scraping sounds and the way my plow is built it does look perfectly shaped for that. I just wish it will snow already!! lol. Maybe we need to head back up north to find some.... SNOW!! lol Just ck weather up there w/ temps in mid 30's w/some sun and 2'' on ground! perfect trail stuff lol lets go!! Winter doesn't last forever lol Just seems like it lol

Old 11-21-2018, 09:54 PM
Pro Rider

The skid feet are not perfect but they do really help, without them it is impossible to scrape snow without digging in unless the drive is frozen. Tried that one year when my skids broke off (cheap blade) I ended up making bigger feet and then I was OK. The current blade has big skid discs like a commercial has and they are adjustable for height. I have them at the max of about 1 1/4" below bottom of blade and yes they do dig in a little early on when stones are soft but not the full 1 1/4". This is the reason for wanting to add the rubber wiper at the bottom of the blade. You should have a wear bar at the bottom of the blade with numerous holes for mounting. Remove this wear bar and sandwich the rubber in between wear bar and blade, mark holes and drill thru rubber and bolt in place. Approx one inch needs to stick out (rubber) below blade to work. When rubber wears just drop down what ever is needed and add more holes so the rubber can be used over again many times until to short to move down anymore. I am told each rubber change last almost all season unless you do an awfull lot of plowing then mabey 2 adjustments per season. Whatever it takes is much better than shoveling!! Do keep the snowblower for drifts and deep snow. Blades don't work that well with real deep snow, mine is great until over 12 inches. The problem is not pushing the snow it is how fast it builds in height along the edges. One year I had snow 4 ft tall along the drives edge and that also makes your drive narrower as you cant push that big of a pile further into the yard. So when I get big snows, I use the blower to remove the deep stuff and blow it well out into the yard so it doesn't build up then finnish with the blade for better removal of the lighter snow without the edge buildup. For stone drives I am told the rubber is the way to go for sure!

Old 11-22-2018, 02:08 AM
THE BERMINATOR
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was going to suggest you just don't lower the plow all the way down. If the gravel is level the plow won't dig in if it's set a little above the surface. If your driveway is rutted or bumpy it would be a different story. Kymco450i, if you have your skids adjusted that far down and have a rubber wiper on the blade, I don't see why you couldn't just adjust the skids as your wiper wears out. Depending on how flexible the rubber is it doesn't seem like it would need to be taken off and re-drilled very often.

Things are much easier for me. When I get a new plow or flip my wear bar over to use the other edge I adjust the skids so they don't quite touch the ground. Because the bar is at an angle only the back edge of it makes contact at first and it doesn't take long for the bar to grind down even with the skids. I have to adjust it a little as it wears, but when the wear bar is ground flat against the driveway and making full contact front to back it may be a few years before I have to adjust the skids again.

Old 11-22-2018, 10:49 AM
Pro Rider

Sounds like you have a paved drive. Makes things so much easier than a stone drive. You need to have the rubber long enough to wipe over the stones to keep from scooping them up, as the rubber wears if you adjust the skids the rubber might not be long enough...only trial and error will tell for sure. It is easy enough to remount the rubber, clamp it in place after trimming off a new straight edge then drill thru with a sheetmetal drill bit using existing holes. Sheetmetal drills will leave a nice clean hole, put in bolts and your done. Sounds like alot of work but it really isnt. Once you have all your tools and understand what your doing it won't take very long. Then again I am working in a heated garage, not doing this outside in winter weather...lol

Old 11-22-2018, 11:25 AM
Pro Rider

No I don't have a paved driveway, and is why I've been researching ways to plow over freshly applied small pea size gravel, just applied last month, over the entire surface, above a foot thick, of hard packed gravel, I've laid down for almost 40 yrs now. This is why I might not be able to keep this plow, since it only take a broom to move the gravel around, much less an extremely heavy steel plow, that looks like its designed for county road work lol! Its so heavy duty, I can't even move it around by myself!

Old 11-22-2018, 12:41 PM
Pro Rider

4 tracker I was referring to big frank on the paved drive reference, I know you have gravel just like I do. My blade is extremely heavy, I cant pick it up, have to drive over it, then attach the winch and lift it up. Once the blade is swinging free the grab the blade, line it up and snap into place. Look up "Pile Driver quick attach system" from Quad Boss and you will see how simple it really is. Not cheap, but quick and easy to attach and release. Also a very heavy duty blade, probably weighs in around 200 lbs. Couldn't attach without the quick system!

Quick Reply: N. Michigan: St Helen, Mio, Rose City, West Brabch