Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

N. Michigan: St Helen, Mio, Rose City, West Brabch

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2019, 10:00 PM
THE BERMINATOR
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Instead of a 3-day weekend for Memorial Day I had a 14-day weekend, but I had to come back a week early. I finally went for a ride, the first one since last July IIRC, and wrecked my quad. I hit a tree and totaled it out. I was hurt but not as bad as my quad. The tree was okay too. I guess we're made of tougher stuff. Everything happened so fast I can't really say how I landed but I hit the ground and not the trees. I was able to get up but was in a lot of pain. I could swear I fractured my ribs again. The pain went from the middle of my chest all the way around my side and across my shoulder blade. It hurt to breathe like it does with broken ribs. Coughing, sneezing, laughing, and blowing my nose were unthinkable. My shoulder blade hurt the worst for the first 2 days then pretty much quit hurting.

I went to an urgent care clinic here and they sent me out for x-rays. When I heard back from them after the weekend they said the x-rays didn't show any new breaks. I said I don't know why if my ribs aren't fractured it feels like my lung is going to burst through my chest when I blow my nose. So they said I need to talk to my doctor about that. I think I will. The really weird thing was my nose was dry for a week and a half so I didn't have to worry about blowing it. I'm a lot better now but still not back to normal. I've had osteoporosis for a long, long time and my bones are too brittle. I guess the calcium pills are working and helped me bounce, not break, when I hit the ground. I have a hematoma at the top of my calf too. The blood under the skin ran from my knee to my ankle and spread out but it's half gone already. The lump in my calf will take a lot longer but should eventually be absorbed too. It feels weird having a hard lump in there I can grab and move around. I consider myself to be very lucky to get up and walk away from the crash that totaled out my ATV. It can be replaced but I can't. I hope all you guys and your families' problems turn out well too.

P.S. When they weighed me at urgent care I found out I lost another 12 pounds in 2 months. And I was eating good during the week I was away. Actually I lost more than 12 pounds because they weighed me with my shoes on (and I had a flashlight in my pocket that I never did before ). I don't know how much my shoes weigh but maybe I lost 14 pounds in 2 months. At this rate I wonder how long it will take until I completely disappear?

Old 06-03-2019, 05:37 PM
Pro Rider
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Glad to hear your doing OK, then damn trees seem to just jump out of nowhere. Glad to see your ins co is comming thru for you. Get back on tour feet, hope to meet you on the trails one day!

Old 06-03-2019, 07:54 PM
Pro Rider
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Just got back from a Super great fantastic weekend, with my #1 son in Seattle....a little sunburned....to say the least! after taking the ferry across the Puget Sound with hot sun blown wind in our faces, then miles of trail walking, thru 3 different parks, all near the waterfront, but great time/great food!
Sorry about your accident Frank, and your getting bruised up, and totalling your quad, but like you said, it could have been much worse, and hopefully you didn't break rib bones! Mine are still bothering me, but getting better by the day! You need to ride with Ken and I, and we'll keep you much safer, next time! My trouble was listening to someone that knew of the dangers of the trail, that we went on, but still took the chance, to risk someone getting hurt....like ME! lol Little 0....big NO!

Old 06-03-2019, 08:24 PM
Pro Rider

Good idea Frank, ride with me and 4 tracker, well then again...mabey just with me, at least I have seat belts and a roll cage. What is the replacement machine going to be, have you picked one out?

Old 06-03-2019, 08:39 PM
Pro Rider

What damage was done to your 4x4?

Old 06-05-2019, 01:09 AM
THE BERMINATOR

Welcome back. You should have listened to your internet doctor (not a doctor) about the ribs. I bent the left side of the frame in, broke the axle, bent the front part of the A-arm into a V, broke the fenders on both sides of the rack, bent the floorboard up, and did some other damage. It rolled over on its right side and threw me off. The front cargo box had 3 loose bolts and the 4th one stripped right out of the frame. I accidentally jammed the throttle and the new tires really hooked up and I went flying into the trees. One of my friends texted another friend about my accident right after it happened and he texted back IT MUST HAVE BEEN THE NEW TIRES. Azzhole. That's how you rip on someone. The tires still have most of the nipples on them, and I can't tell you how much the HD front springs help the handling. And I didn't need to put that new AGM battery in it.

The somewhat square shaped lump of blood in my leg feels like it has another lump underneath it about 5" long. I was feeling my lump to see if it was getting smaller and when I rubbed my fingers across below it, it felt like the little one was stacked on top of another one. I never had that happen before. It's so firm it feels like another muscle came out the side of my calf. My new ATV is a Sportsman 570 SP. I went through the thing online where you pick out the options you want and see how much it costs. I got almost everything other than a rear cargo box and a windshield. When the rope is all the way in the winch stops by itself. And instead of just having free-spool and the regular speed, it has a 3rd setting where you can wind the rope in 5 times faster. You can walk it in holding the rope in one hand and the remote control in the other. I put a down payment on it and have a cashier's check sitting here for the rest of it. I'm just waiting for the dealer to get it and put the accessories on for me (at no charge). I took out a $9,000 loan from my credit union at 4.49% for 60 months. I think I can handle the $168 a month payments ($147.41 for the last one).

Old 06-05-2019, 08:31 AM
Pro Rider

If you go Black you'll never go back lol
Black is beautiful is a cultural movement that was started in the United States in the 1960s by African Americans.

I also love my Black, Martin Luther King Quad too! lol
Good choice on the color, nice new ride, Frank'0
Take care of those injuries....Dock lol I'm almost fully healed back from mine, takes time.

Old 06-05-2019, 09:03 AM
Pro Rider

Boy have they gone up in price! I only paid 10k for my SxS with all its accessories. Nice looking machine...cant wait to see it on the trails...however might not be able to see you guys on those dark black machines!

Old 06-05-2019, 12:06 PM
Pro Rider

Just got an offer to join up, with me, for a trip/ride/camp, with the last 2 guys I ever expected to consent....my 2 boys, one I haven't seen or heard from in many years, yet has 2 new quads, 4x4's, for him and his son, my grandson, and my other son Paul, that I've been riding with forever, up until last year, when his quad blew a rod and sold as a roller, but just bought a new sxs1000 something lol Plans are from the 3rd - 7th St Helel. I know what your thinking, me too, but when you get an offer you can't refuse, what's a dad to do lol I said YES, of course, and hope we can all patch things up between us....like we've done so many times before....ain't holding my breath while trying, you know what I mean lol Time will tell lol

Old 06-07-2019, 10:46 PM
THE BERMINATOR

My new ATV isn't black, it's gray, like the aliens some people say are running the world's government. Magnetic Gray Metallic. All hail the alien overlords. Maybe I can get on their good side. The only other color they make the 570 SP in is Crimson Metallic. The crimson looks better to me but I needed to get something that wasn't red. I'm tired of red ATVs. If I can avoid it I don't get 2 ATVs or 2 trucks in a row the same color. Before, I always looked at ATVs at the dealer and said, I'll take that one, whatever color it was, but this time I waited to get a gray one. I order my trucks with the options I want and wait for them to be built, and I know the next one will be a different color and not just whatever the dealer has sitting there. I'm so tired of red ATVs I don't think the one after this will be red either unless my only choices are red and gray. I think I'm going to like power steering. Everyone who has it says how great it is, or they don't know how they did without it before. It comes standard on the SP and there are some other nice upgrades too. Maybe one of these days I'll go to St. Helen and show you guys my ATV, but if I do I'm going to set up orange cones with yellow tape to make a 10' perimeter so you can look but not touch. If you show me that I can trust you I might close the perimeter to half that. I know my friend is going to be so jealous of my black rims. He has a black ATV with silver rims and might want to trade with me so he has a stealth ATV.

A couple of my friends are texting each other about my accident. I heard about some of the things they're saying.
Something like, Frank was due for an accident. He hasn't crashed into anything in years.
Or, leave it to Frank to find an easy way to pick the sticks and stones out of his skid plate by turning his quad on its side.
My friends will rag on me for years if no one else has an accident.

Quick Reply: N. Michigan: St Helen, Mio, Rose City, West Brabch