Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Mt Morris Michigan [MOUNDS]

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2001, 08:18 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As a local resident,im pleased to say that the Mounds is completely opened,it opened up all 200 acres today to all ORVs including trucks.Its a pleasure being able to ride 200 acres instead of 10 acres.Be spark arrested,have a sound level of 94db or less and if your under the age of 16,you need a to show proof that you took the ASI safety rider course,its the law in Michigan.They turned away a few kids and parents last Sunday for not showing proof of the rider course [certificate].

They never used to enforce that,they now have a local ASI safety instructor and must adhere to that law.Happy and safe trailing to all,
Bill

Old 05-15-2001, 09:45 PM
Pro Rider

So, who's the instructor, what time is he there and where's he from? I know a couple people who want to take training. I don't think I can pass the 94db anymore Bill. That job I did in WV. to the pipe did make it louder. But she sure has a little bit of a kick now! Not bad for a 280cc.
Charles, but you can call me Chuck!

Old 05-18-2001, 10:28 PM
Weekend Warrior

Chuck,
im not sure of the instructors name,however,he is of an Italian decent so ''BE CAREFUL' and listen to what he says.We dont want to find your friends in a lake somewhere for not following orders.And I heard he rides a quad that goes ring-ring-ring-ring-ring-ring-ring-ring so with all them ;;RINGS'' he must be doing something illegal?LOL,
Bill

Old 05-20-2001, 04:29 PM
Pro Rider

Of Italian, desent, huh? Sure sounds familiarbut it's probably not whom I'm thinking of. Your Polaris, goes "whinning", like a bunch of bees in a hive. :0)
Seriously, you think the two cycle may have contributed to the demise you suffered on the WV trip? I'm thinking, since you have to get a lot of "Rrr's" before you can move, pops your belt into gear and causes sudden reaction from the rider. Could be wrong but the four strokers, seem to have more control on the tight spots. What do you think?
Chuck

Old 05-20-2001, 06:42 PM
Weekend Warrior

what up bill and chuck this is mike how r you guys

Old 05-20-2001, 07:08 PM
Weekend Warrior

Chuck,
the ONLY reason for the higher rrrs before the quad actually moves is because of the clutch kit,it has a stiffer primary spring and therefore it raises your engagement speed,making the ATV hit alot harder from the low end.It has NOTHING to do with the ATV being a 2 stroke.If you remember correctly,the 4 stroke Sportsman did the same thing after the clutch kit was installed in it.

The demise I suffered on the last day of the WV trip had nothing to do with the ATV being a 2 stroke,it had ALOT to do with the person riding it though,ME!I did not like being that close to the ridgeways on them mountain sides with little to nothing below me.I hate heights and I DONT[NEVER] fly,so you go figure?And sitting about 8 inches higher on my seat vs the sitting position of the KQ did not help my cause either.You take someone who does not fear them heights and he might of loved the Polaris?I would of felt better sitting on the KQ in them mountains,however,I think I would of still turned back,just me,a big chicken I guess.

Mike,
is it you?Kevins boy?Are you guys going to the Poker Run this yr?Hope so,
Bill

Old 05-20-2001, 09:40 PM
Pro Rider

Mike! Does your dad know you're playing on this thing? :0)
Not much happening now Mike. Bill and I just finished a job for the rider enthusiast (ATVer). We did trail maintenance on one of the more popular trail systems. First time I'd ever riden there but I'll definitely go back now.
Let's see, this post is about the Mounds, why are we talking about everything else?
Tell your dad, we expect you guys and grandpa Dean, at the Poker Run this year. Sorry Rich, think we're staying in Newberry, this year.
Chuck

Trending Topics

Old 05-20-2001, 09:58 PM
Pro Rider

Bill, I've seen you climb twenty feet at 35-40 degrees and go back down. Watched you go through mud and water that was over your air snorkle. AND I watched you humble yourself as the KQ pulled you out of a bad a$$ hole in the U.P.
Chicken you ain't! I'll tell you when you do become the chicken. All I have to do now is wait... Wait for you to get stuck at the Mounds... Guess who's gonna be the tow truck...
Go Queenie!!!
Chuck

Old 05-20-2001, 11:01 PM
Weekend Warrior

Chuck,
I'll ride allmost any hill/terrain within reason,but when there is NOTHING below to catch you,like what we experienced in certain areas of the WV mountains,that was more than I felt comfortable with.I've been riding ATVs since 1983 and never road anything like that.I dont regret turning back,and I really dont think you did either.

I rode the Mounds today.I got into the parking lot at 12:09 and it was allready 3/4 full.That place was a mad house today.I stood until 4:00pm,did a little showing off in the mud before that though.There were a TON of 4x4 PU trucks out there this afternoon.Alot of them were getting stuck to.I had fun being a spectator to that.

Jeff took his 14yr old boy out today to ride,I helped out as much as the park/riders permitted,the park was so full I had to really watch where I took him to ride.He was very timid at first,but you could see the confidence level really go up the more he rode.I look REAL forward working with him some more.It gives me great pleasure to watch someone that I taught to ride get better at what their doing,it means that together,we are acheiving goals/skills that I set out for him/her to reach.I hope he continues to stay with it,Jeff really looks forward to spending riding time with him,I can see it in his eyes.

I look forward to you pulling out the Xplorer in the mud,and than I look even MORE forward to watching you try the SAME mud hole.

Dont worry,im there to pull you out to!

Old 05-20-2001, 11:10 PM
Weekend Warrior

i do not know and yes this is kevins boy