Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Black River Falls WI Update

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2001, 08:44 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Went to BRF over the weekend with about 20 other guys for our annual ATV trip and wanted to share a few notes with other riders that use that system.

The trails that lead out of BRF are very very washboard, in fact they are so bad that you end up standing the whole way to avoid the pain. Evidently the supervisor that instructs the groomer to groom the trails was recently hurt in a hunting accident and is unable to inform the trail maintainers to groom the trail.

The local DNR is out in full force checking for helmets, underage riders etc. Some younger riders were handed $100 tickets for improper registration and no helmets. They are really cracking down on the "showoffs" that drive into the gas stations at BRF and Millston. Keep it slow when near people and towns and you will be allright.

The trail out to Pray was just great. Very fast and just enough wetness to keep the dust down. Saddle Mound tap in Pray has gas, food and drinks which make the trip out that way a great ride. Trail down to Millston is a bumpy ride as well however the trail back up to BRF (West of I-94) is smooth and fast. Traffic on Saturday was very very high and extra care must be taken to keep the trails safe.

The weather was bad so we never made the trailered trip up to Clark County. Saturday morning was drizzley and in the 40's. Since our clothes and boots were still wet from the day before, we decided to just stay around BRF.

We are still planning a weekend up to Clark County to ride up to Rock Dam Lake. Anyone have any information on the trail conditions up that way?

I will post some of our riding pictures as soon as we get them developed and scanned.

Old 06-05-2001, 02:05 PM
Range Rover

Going to Clark county this weekend. Can you get to the BRF trails from the CC trails up by Lake Arbutus? Never ridden the the BRF trails and only twice on the CC trails this past winter. By looking at the maps, it looks as though they might hook together. Thanks in advance for your reply in advance, I will give a trail report for CC when I get back.

Exer

Old 06-05-2001, 03:27 PM
Range Rover

Exer, NO there is NOT a connector trail between Clark County trails and BRF. We had some Dirt Bikers with us that wondered if they could ride the Clark County trails and I e-mailed them and they said no. I also asked them about the connector trail and they also said no.

At one time they allowed ATV's to ride the roads to get across the Black River and into Hatfield but that was a disaster and they closed the trail down and never opened it back up.

I would appreciate a trail update for Clark County as I would like to make a trip up that way ASAP. We usually trailer the machines up to the parking lot in Hatfield and ride North to Rock Dam Lake. That is a great trip and the bar up at the lake has gas and food etc.

One WARNING. The Warden I spoke to mentioned that there are MANY off trail sites that are CLOSED to ATV's (he mentioned a few sand bowls, fire pits etc) he told me that they are patrolling those areas heavily and if caught the fine is $ 180.00. He said if you stay on the trail you are trouble free. I know which sand bowls he is talking about and they are very tempting to stop and play around in.

Have fun and be safe....

Jeff

Honda 89 250R (converted to a 350RX)
Honda 91 250X
Kawasaki 98 KX250
Plus bikes for my three boys. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 06-07-2001, 01:25 PM
Pro Rider

>>>>One WARNING. The Warden I spoke to mentioned that there are MANY off trail sites that are CLOSED to ATV's (he mentioned a few sand bowls, fire pits etc) he told me that they are patrolling those areas heavily and if caught the fine is $ 180.00. He said if you stay on the trail you are trouble free. I know which sand bowls he is talking about and they are very tempting to stop and play around in.<<<<<<

Which poplar tree does he usually like to hide behind?

Warning! Danger Will Robinson

... are these off limit areas clearly marked? Or noted on a local trail map?

ATVs seem to be getting a little bit too much attention on holiday weekends

Gee... I can remember when they used to go after noisy Chris Crafts [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 06-07-2001, 03:03 PM
Pro Rider

What is considered a proper registration for WI. Last year I rode at BRF with my MN registration only. Is that all I need or do we have to buy a registration from WI too? Please reply I was going to go there next weekend. Also where are those other trails your talking about on this post? How do I get info on them? Thanks

Old 06-07-2001, 06:37 PM
Range Rover

Guys, I would e-mail the WI DNR to ask about your registration questions and keep the reply in your back pocket in case you get stopped.

I have ridden the Clark County trails many times and have only got stopped once when we were riding in the one sand bowl. They waited for us to leave and stopped us down the trail. They new we were in there because they could hear our exhaust. They saw that we were not locals and let us go on a warning.

You cannot miss these "PLAY AREAS" the large area is adjacent to the trail and access is through a small opening in the brush. Once through the brush, there is a huge wall of sand stone (about 75' high) with ATV trails that allow you to climb to the top as well as screw around on. Some of the sand rock has ledges that have been carved into nice jumps for ATV's etc. PLaces to do donuts, sand drags etc...You can see where I am going with this!!!.

The local ATV'ers use these places as hang outs and party, camp fires, drinking beer, late nights and for play riding. The DNR does not like this as the possibility of injury is great so they are cracking down on these areas.

The trails are clearly marked (orange sticks with ATV logos) and these play areas are definately off the beaten path. Each map and parking area is clearly marked "stay on trails or stay home".

Guys, I checked out my map at home and the one PLAY area is near Wildcat Park. The DNR guys like to camp out in the park and listen for guys in the sand bowl area

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img]