Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Colorado - Pitkin area

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2001, 05:20 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After some posts some time ago, I was told by several of you that the Pitkin area of Colorado was one of the best areas for a weekend ATV trip. I am now planning a trip in the second week of August.

I am now needing so more specifics like:

- What is the best camping area near the trails (preferrably one with showers, or a place to clean up?).

- Specifically, where is the best place to park for trail access. Which are the best trails in this area for weekend rides? How do I get there using a map?

- Are there any specific trail guides I really should get for this area? Where do I get them?

I'm sure most of this information is in books or guides, but I am hoping for advice from folks with real experience with the area!

Thanks in advance!

Old 07-08-2001, 11:16 AM
ox
Pro Rider

I know OF a fella from Indiana that has some property in that area. He has posted some pics of it too. Looks like a great place to try some time. Hope your NOT afraid of heights! Here is a link that he placed for the area. Colorado OHV club

Old 07-10-2001, 05:22 AM
Pro Rider

There is a Forest Service campground just outside of Pitkin, but I don't think it has showers. If you want to stay *in* Pitkin, don't worry about getting out to the trails; ATV's are allowed on the streets in Pitkin and on the road toward the forest.

There is some GOOD riding in that area. Maybe CornCob (aka ChickenMan) or I might be available to ride and show you around.
I'm not sure what his schedule is like, but I know he likes that area.
I am out-of-state now, and not sure when I'll get back home, but I hope it is real soon. Keep in touch!

Here is a link to my photo's from that area; and if I can remember I will upload more when I get home. I don't have the photo disks with me.

Also, here is a link to Cob's Videos, but he is having problems with that site and I don't see any of them now, but maybe they will be restored soon.
.... hmmm.. I found the rest of his videos here, but I don't see the Pitkin video listed. You might need to send him email and ask about it.

Old 07-10-2001, 10:16 AM
Range Rover

I recommend the book; "Guide to Colorado Backroads & 4-Wheel Drive Trails" by Charles A. Wells. It shows lots of trails, with many in
the Pitkin area. It also shows trail difficulty and access.
I just returned from there and yes, there are lots of trails in that area. I stayed in motels, so I don't know of any campgrounds where you can clean up. There are lots of dry-camp spots in the area.
Tincup pass was still snowed in, but may be open by now. The US Forest Service is checking all bikes and quads for the new Colorado sticker ($15.25), which you can get at many bike shops and Fishing supply shops. Of course, you can't see any benefit except they are paying a lot more people to check for stickers. Irks me.
Many of the trails in that area can be done in jeeps or 4 wheel drive pickups. Hope you have a great time. I did.

Old 07-10-2001, 10:26 AM
Range Rover

Thanks for the info everybody. Is there more?

Expeditioneer, I have that book and it is great, but seems more geered towards jeepster types. It seems that the best recomendations come from those who have been there. What hotel did you stay in? Was it in Pitkin?

Where can the Colorado sticker be had in Pitkin?

What trails would everyone recommend in particular for moderate ATV difficultity -- ie. less vehicle capable roads, but NOT the get off your bike and winch it up the hill stuff?

Expeditioneer, are there any trails in the book you mentioned that you road in particular and enjoyed. That would be a great starting point for me.

THANKS AGAIN EVERYONE!

Old 07-10-2001, 09:58 PM
Range Rover

I stayed in a motel in Salida. Don't think there are any in Pitkin or Tincup....they are both pretty small towns. Since I picked up my sticker in Colorado Springs (Apex motorcycle shop), I didn't ask about getting a sticker in Pitkin. My Texas friend picked his up in the campground he was staying in Silverton, so I'm guessing lots of places sell them. Finding difficult trails means just picking side trails and seeing where they go. I did find a neat one, and if you've got a GPS, I can send you the waypoints for it. I was riding south from Cumberland Pass and there was a trail off to the right. Followed it and it took me along a trail that got more difficult with altitude, but did not require any winching. Really a nice view at the top. I don't recall whether the trail had any # on it (didn't record any in my log book).
Although not terribly difficult, I enjoyed the trail up to Mount Antero. It is on page 140 of the book. The last portion of that trail (to the peak) had sufficient snow and was rather steep, so I didn't try it. It'll test your riding skills for sure. I suspect the snow may be melted by now. There's another peak just south of it that you can get to in a minute or two. From the view, it is easily seen. The trail also heads down Browns valley, which I didn't take.
I didn't encounter any really difficult trails, so I can't help you there. I just love the views from as high as I can climb. My Expedition didn't require rejetting, which was a little bit of a surprise. My Texas friend's Honda Rubicon didn't require rejetting, either, and we got up to 13,111 feet on Imogene Pass between Ouray and Silverton. The USFS has set up a Day Fee booth there. Damn Gov't has an insatiable appetite for $$$$$.
Hope this is somewhat useful.

Old 07-10-2001, 11:46 PM
Trailblazer

Here is a link that will give you some Pitkin info. http://www.pitkincolorado.com/
I highly recommend the quartz creek lodge. They are reasonable and you can get a cabin or rooms with a kitchen. No showers at the NFS campgrounds but there is a private campground about 10 miles back in Ohio City that may have showers. Buy pretty much everything you need before you arrive. There is a one pump gas station(regular only) that is open a few hours a day. Pitkin has a population of 100 to 200 in the summer and about 20 in the winter. If you want bars, fast food and the such, you will have to stay in Gunnison, 30 miles west. You wouldn't want to stay in Salida(about 60 miles east) because you would have to drive over Monarch pass twice each day. But you could stay there and ride out of ST. Elmo, just east of Pitkin as the crow flies. I am the Indiana guy ox speaks of(new name, ox) and do own land there. Have been there about 40 times for week long trips on dirtbikes and snowmobiles over the last 10 years, so I do know the area. Atving is mostly done on jeep trails, so the book you have is good or get a NFS map or if you want to go all out, get the DeLorme atlas of topographical maps for CO. If you want great views, do Hancock, Tomichi, Napoleon, and Tincup passes and go to the alpine tunnel on the way to Hancock pass. As you can tell I can go on and on about Pitkin, so if you want more, give me your email address. I can also send some really big files that are pics from my land.LOL right ox

Old 07-11-2001, 10:11 AM
ox
Pro Rider

Pitkin1;

Didn't know you were on here. Did you just join? What happened to the X? Did you have to sell it? Did the wife find out aboot the 700MM? LOL![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 07-11-2001, 10:24 AM
Range Rover

I am interested in those files. My email address is banksjim@mo-net.com. I use a company T1 connection, so large files are not a problem.

....Thanks everyone! This is just the type of information I am looking for. What is the best source for the Forest Service maps showing numbered trails? Around here, for Mark Twain National Forest, we actually have to buy them at a ranger district office -- not too convenient. Is there a way to order these maps from the Pitkin area by phone?

Thanks again!

Old 07-11-2001, 09:06 PM
Trailblazer

The national geographic maps of the pitken area can be purchased from:

www.trailsillustrated.com

The trails in the area are on two of the maps, #132 and #130.

You can also buy a non-topo map from the general store in Pitken. It's a 5 to 10 page photo copy of hand drawn sketches outlining the more popular trails in the area. I often use these maps and cross reference them with the trails-illustrated maps. I'm a nice guy and if you send me your address I'll make a photocopy of these maps and send them to you (jewell.anderson@wcom.com).

Quick Reply: Colorado - Pitkin area