Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

WNF Rock Hill @ 278

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2001, 06:53 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did anyone hear anything about them fixing rock hill at 278?

I heard some scuttle butt, but nothing from a ranger, just wondering if anyone talked to a ranger over the weekend...

Brad

Old 09-05-2001, 12:24 PM
Range Rover

The scuttle-butt on my end(at atv time) is that they plan to do a re-route to get around that hill. We ride Loop rd(pretty sure that's the name of it) now to avoid that hill.
Hope to see you around the trails sometime...
later, Sherri

Old 09-05-2001, 12:36 PM
Pro Rider

Brad

If you go to the Wayne National Forest website at Wayne National Forest and go to the section called Wayne Quarterly. Click on the most recent one. This newsletter list projects that are being studied and they are looking for input. The July 2001 letter contains a project about rerouting the trail just east of 278. Hope this helps. Feel free to call them or email them with your input. I plan on it if I ever get time.

Old 09-05-2001, 01:14 PM
Range Rover

MudMan, I also sent BansheeBrad the link to the post you started over @ Time.
So, BansheeBrad, check your e-mail too!! Sign in while you are at it and join in. Our "chit-chat" gets entertaining to say the least. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Later guys...Sherri

Old 09-05-2001, 05:26 PM
Pro Rider

Hey thanks for the info...

and thanks slb for sending me the link..

We have used the road many times before, but we have also been chased (IE we didn't stop) by the rangers twice.. tired of that damn hill!!

Personally I think they should fill in the bad spots with concrete, make it level, and it'd be easy to ride, but thats just my $.02..

Brad

Old 09-05-2001, 08:12 PM
Pro Rider

Ditto to what everyone else said. Being able to ride MC to Dorr Run is such a fantastic idea, but having to negotiate that hill, especially when it gets busy, is just not worth it. Not to mention chancing severe damage to your quad. We were told of at least 2 unlucky souls that trashed their machines by flipping or rolling them there this weekend. Generally, trail maintenance at WNF has been poor this year. There is another rutted-out hill on the Main Corridor side that is becoming impassable as well (around Airplane Hollow).

Old 09-05-2001, 10:26 PM
Range Rover

Bob, where is "airplane hollow" at exactly?
There is one hill on the MC, coming back from the NS loop that has me intimidated as sin. It is washed out and rocky as hell now.

Thanks...Sherri

Old 09-05-2001, 11:25 PM
Pro Rider

I've been in snake hollow @ wayne, but never airplane hollow..

Old 09-06-2001, 12:04 AM
Pro Rider

Sherri..

I was looking at your pics.. nice... I saw the bridge next to the waterfall, that ones easy to see, one side is all dropped out and a ***** to ride up.

But where in the heck is Horse Theifs Cave?? Do you GPS Stuff? Is it an old mining cave? I know where that is..

Thanks
Brad

Old 09-06-2001, 10:00 AM
Range Rover

Ok, the waterfall and Horse Thief cave are one & the same. (right MudMan/TRX450??) At least that is my understanding. Only at the time we were there, there wasn't any water running over the edge of the cave to create the waterfall. I would LOVE to see it when the water is running over it.
THAT was one of the best rides we've had this year!! MagnumMudMan was there, as were Buckeye400ex(that's him putting on the rodeo show by the bridge)$ TRX450. There were 8 of us that day! What a ride!!
Back at the other site...they have a ride planned for Sept 14-16...looks to be one wild and crazy bunch!! You free any that weekend????
Later..Sherri

Quick Reply: WNF Rock Hill @ 278